Barn find : need identification | FerrariChat

Barn find : need identification

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Olivier NAMECHE, Sep 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #1 Olivier NAMECHE, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,
    During my last trip in France, here is one of my barn finds :
    it seems to be a Bugatti looking at the front grille.

Owner pretends this is one of 3 prototypes of this kind to have been built in the '50s, no ID plate, no paperwork, no title.

It's a shelf with a poor rusted steel bodywork, there is also a Bugatti engine laying on the ground.

Anyone can help to identify this "prototype" ???
    Ciao,
    Olivier
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #2 El Wayne, Sep 14, 2009
    Grille somewhat resembles 1952 Geneva Salon T57 by Ghia-Aigle. Of course, many differences, including the fact that your find appears to be LHD.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #3 El Wayne, Sep 14, 2009
    Ghia-Aigle bodied another T57 in 1952 (Type 57SC chassis number 57561), which looks nothing like the Geneva Salon car. Perhaps the owner is under the assumption that his car is a third G-A bodied T57?

Here is 57561 for comparison:

4. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    chassis rails look suspect...does it have a tubular front axle?? it looks a bit siataish to me...how many cams does the engine have? front or rear cam drive???...attached or remote gearbox?

5. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Do you intend to buy the car?

6. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Please tell me you're buying this car for full restoration?? Where can I find this beauty?

7. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    My intention is to sell all cars from that barn except one that I'll keep for myself...
    Any interest to buy this one ? PM me...

8. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    What other cars are in that barn?

9. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    In addition to this Bugatti => Pre war Citroën chassis, Ferrari 250 GTE complete rolling bodywork (see vintage F section) another Ferrari 400 destroyed by fire, Citroën Pallas & CX and the last one is a Lamborghini that I buy to complete my collection...pretty cool for just one barn, isn'it ?

10. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Wow! That is quite the barn to find! Congrats!!

Lets see some more pics :D

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    needs identification? yet its " for sale" and worth a bunch.

i say spam.

put it in ferrari-ads.

12. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    You are BS guy...there is NO spam...as I put my reputation in this barn find post that I've discovered alone, as I did already with my Islero Le Mans racer last year (since published in Classic & Sport cars)
    => it is not because you are not able to disover such a barn that you are allowed to judde !
    => be more respectful with people you are speaking about...it's not because you are consider as "Senior" with all your post that you can put a judgement => pay attention to my profile !!!

Olivier NAMECHE
    Lamborghini Club Belgium - LCB President
    www.lamborghiniclubbelgium.com
    www.jaramaregistry.com

13. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    bugatti what???..is it a T57? i see no chassis/suspension photos..is the "engine" a T57 or another bugatti type....when i buy a bug [and i have] i want to know as much as i can...

while in this case, we are just spectators; but even so you can't just post a pic of a rusty shell and call it a bugatti without further details.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Olivier, you solicited bids for the car. Please: show us pictures, give us information and ask us questions but don't try to sell it to us here. That's what FerrariAds is for.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    yea, which is EXACTLY why i posted what i did.

i HAVE been here awhile, and i know the rules.

Oliver, if you are some great Lambo and Bugatti know-it-all, then why come here "looking for "info"? ( this means you are trying to troll for buyers, my opinion)

you would have been better off with a "Look what i found in a barn thread !"

people with the means and interest in the car would have contacted you anyway.

oh yea, and bragging you bought some Lamborghini out of the collection really makes you sound like a broker. i am a collector, so i know one when i see one.

good luck to you in your sales.

maybe i need to sign up for Moderator duties. :)

you guys have a tough, thankless job!

16. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    First of all, I'm not a broker...there are plenty enough around in this Forum...

Secondly I didn't post in this Forum letting know to people THEY WILL HAVE to bid...just read again my 1st post in this thread !

Thirdly, because I received so many PM/direct Email sent to my LCB Email address, and I've received so many different offers, silly offers, stupid offers, business offers........all this BECAUSE I shared my discoveries...I provided my feedback to the owner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Human being is so found to own things that some of you can resist to possess stuff or cars, or just make dream about the way to put the hand on such a Bugatti "Ghia Aigle" or not...in order to make big money (as I described the R.O.I.)... the front grille seems enough for many people who has reacted so quickly apparently !!!

The old lady who owns these cars made a deal about one Lamborghini with me, that I bought, and she asked me to advertise the others cars...that's all !

Some people can respect the work and research that I did in order to trace and to chase Lamborghini...if this leads also to discover others cars in the same barn...the others people should have the same respect level to me as all my Lamborghini folks..............................

17. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    can someone please translate the above??

oh..i can post a picture of corroded T35 wheels...but you will have to guess if a car comes with them.

18. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    in chinese or in french ?

19. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Olivier, you got to admit there's not alot of pictures and info to work with. What I do know, is that this car (or the remains of it) are located somewhere in a barn in the South of France. In a shed that is virtually impossible to reach, so the buyer will have to dig his way true other car remains, put some wheels or anything on it, build a ramp of some sort to get it out, and then possibly he'll have to built lots of parts from scratch.
    So befor wanting to pay lots and lots for scrap metal, I'm guessing we wanna see more pictures and have more details and info on this rather mysterious Bugatti, won't you agree?

And why wouldn't you buy the lot and sell it on?

20. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    What can you expect else from a very old lady lost in the countryfield of dry south France, to give you a hand to pull the car ?
    What would you expect from me when I did shoot pictures only to share my discoveries with no other intention at first... a full mega pictures report & history like COYS or BONHAMS ?
    Why did people expect from me to organize bidding or sale ? do I look like Kidston or Bernardi ?
    Why did so many people pester me to get location of this "barn" and how to buy ?
    Why do you expect me to buy the lot ? to make profit like most of the advertisers on this Forum ? that's not my job.

As I wrote already I'm not a trader or a broker. This "joke" starts to bore me at the highest level, what will probably happen is : I'll pick up my Lambo alone...end of the story !
    Yes I'm upset, can't you understand why ? And good research to all the "fine detectives" reading this post or any others about "barn find".
    Ciao !

21. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #21 Miltonian, Sep 21, 2009
    This thread started out as an interesting question about an unusual car. I'm not interested in the slightest in buying it, but it would be fun to find out what it is.

Can you confirm that the picture has not been reversed, and that the car DOES have left hand drive?

Do you have ANY reason to believe that the car was built by Bugatti, other than the shape of the center section of the grille?

I've attached a picture found in the November 1957 issue of Road & Track. The caption reads: "A new Bugatti may see the light of day at last, though it is still in the model stage. Wheels and radiator grille appear to be the only links with past models as far as appearance goes. A 1500cc, double-overhead cam 4 is under the low hood." The engine is said to be "half of their GP engine, slightly enlarged, to give a 1500cc, double overhead cam, in-line 4." Perhaps the barn car is a prototype of this new model? I haven't found any other information about it.

Or.... is there any chance that this car may have been a donor vehicle for the horrible Virgil Exner/Ghia Bugatti shown in 1965?

22. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Milton,
    Much appreciated your words, this is a correct way to come back to my first wish : discover what it is...

So, I do confirm it is LHD, as you can see with these 2 last pictures, I don't have any other else unfortunately (1.200 km away from Brussels). It's strictly 2doors.

I had no reason to doubt about the owner's comments when she told me correctly the content of her barn...about 6 months ago and I had to wait untill she gave me permission to go to her place to visit her...what I saw 10 days ago is matching the April phone call.

Conclusion she said "Bugatti", there is the front grille, there is also a Bugatti engine that goes with it. But it was in another location as well as the Lambo V12 that goes with the car I bought. I can't imagine when I'll go back to pick up the Lambo that there is no V12 engine in the other place...so I have no reason to doubt...as the other cars are matching what she said.

I'm also looking after Google & books...keep going !

23. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #23 Olivier NAMECHE, Sep 21, 2009
  24. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    all i expect you to do is check if the "bugatti" has a beam front axle

count the number of spark plugs on the "bugatti" engine

let us know....

not too much to ask..and the little old french lady need not lift a finger.

25. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    thanks for the new photos...in my opinion, NOT a bugatti...i can give you a dozen reasons but why would i....

hope you actually saw the lambo before you spend a lot of money......