Virginia City Hillclimb 2009 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Virginia City Hillclimb 2009

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by F430GB, Sep 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Firstly, yep the Teva's are in the "race bag"! Not sure about the fashion statement I'd be making matching 'em with nomex socks though :)

Almost - I was sent a PIP processor earlier this year that allows a two camera set up that I'm going to try out - Should be cool.... However, I'm just not sure where to aim the second camera - Suggestions welcome....

- The "traditional" view out the back - This works great in races where there are other cars around, but I'm not sure it will add anything (other than a feeling of motion sickness!) in this case. The PIP also needs to be mirrored IIRC as otherwise our brains get really sick..... The advantage is an easy mount.

- I *think* I could get away with an exterior mount, down low, looking forward, as long as I tether the camera - Might be interesting to see the front tires doing their stuff?

- In the front grille - This is probably out of the question now as running the wires really needs the car on a lift.

- A "footwell" cam is going to be boring as I drive an F1....

- A view into the engine bay? - Again, an easy mount, but "so what"?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey, thanks for the offer! Very cool! Be sure to come and say "hi" - Just ask anyone for "Teva Ian" :) [Or, I'm generally in the bar at the Gold Hill later - Which reminds me I owe Rifledriver at least one drink to keep him quiet about a stupid comment I made a while back - Don't ask! :) ]

What was your track car? - I only ask because this event requires it be street legal, registered and insured. You've also got to run DOT approved tires..... Don't want you buying a "race car" and not be able to run it!

BTW - Given my earlier post, you don't happen to have a lift do you? :D

Cheers,
    Ian

3. dwink

dwink Rookie

Sep 16, 2009
    My 8 year old daughter has come up with the brillant idea to sell some ice cold bottled water @ the bottom of the hill, so I am sure you will see me!!

I have a long history of track cars, and unfortunately did not have the budget for an Italian track car (unless it was a Fiat...) so my last one was a street legal turbo miata (with 300 hp) that was a hoot to drive. I had multiple wheels/tires- I always like street legal track cars. Towing stinks. I have been thinking of growing a really bushy mustache and buying an early 80's 308 to play with!

I don't have a lift in Reno, however I do have an angled (the right way) driveway and ramps that we could get it up on I am quite certain. Happy to help if you want to do it.

4. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    For those going to the hill climb, have fun!

I'll be missing it this weekend. My wife, who doesn't like the thought of me racing my Ferrari up a hill that several of people have died on, caught me off guard several month ago and scheduled a family trip to Disneyland.

I took the F430 out and got a quick fix today to preview what I will be missing. NDOT just finished shoulder work on the truck route. Be ready for a little dirt and gravel on the hill climb.

Be safe and have fun. I will see you guys next year.

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Where are we going to see you next year? Marine World...Women are smarter :)

Miss you guys!

6. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Mike,
    I would like to suggest that I run your 430, in your absence. You know the car wouldn't want to miss the weekend :D. Hell I'll even run the Porsche with the baby seat in place.

7. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    How about a passenger reaction cam? :)

I like the Nomex sock idea........ think Challenge Stradale stripe. Are you running the R compounds again this year?

8. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    #33 F430GB, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Ian, maybe the second camera could be pointed at the guages? Give a real sense of what you're looking at while you're driving...it's just a thought. :)

Looking forward to meeting you and other f-chatters tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

-G.B.

How did the F430 run, Mike? :) And I will have to say the same thing that TOOL said...I'd me more than happy as well to take your F430 or G up to the hill. The things I do for friends these days jeez... :D Have a fun and safe trip in Disneyland my friend! :)

-G.B.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It did cross my mind, but I'm already overlaying data onto the video so you can already see stuff such as speed, RPM, TP, etc etc - A "real" gauge view would just duplicate this.....

However, I finished the install last night and am pretty confident I can mount a bulletcam on the door, facing forward that'll (hopefully) show "steering angle" and maybe some suspension movement - I may even do a run or two where the main picture and PIP are reversed - We'll see....

See everyone soon!
    Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - dwink - Many thanks again for the offer - If I'd ever removed the undertray before (ie, had any idea what's involved!) I may have been tempted - For this year at least I'm going the "easy" route....

10. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk

A door cam is a great idea! Looking forward to seeing the video. :)

See you all tomorrow!!! :D

-G.B.

11. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    #36 F430GB, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have attached a picture of myself with the shirt I will be wearing to the event. If you see me, feel free to stop me and say hello! :)

-G.B.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Dirt was quite noticable when I drove it yesterday.

You have a sneaky wife.

13. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Just got back from the races!! What a day! TWO 16Ms, a Scuderia, and loads of other Ferraris. Ian and David, it was VERY nice to meet both of you. :)

I'll post pictures and a video of the event later. ;)

-G.B.

14. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Glad you had fun. Can't wait to see the pics!

15. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    WAAAAAAAAAAAY too many pictures to post here. SO, I made a video out of them. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE2znWjjBa8

I also have a video of the cars in action...need to finish editing it and upload it. The video is over 20 minutes long!!! :eek:

-G.B.

16. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    I heard from a friend that went Sunday (yesterday) that the 355 Challenge rolled over. Can anyone confirm this?

-G.B.

17. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Let's hold-off on this topic until we get a formal message from Frank Zucchi.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Had dinner with Frank last night. He'll be fine. Just a couple of minor injuries.

Car is a a total loss.

Charles, Frank's an old friend, thanks for helping him.

19. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    glad to hear hes O K.....sorry to hear about his car......

20. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #45 dakharris, Sep 21, 2009
    A few pictures of the action over the weekend. I thought that the dust patterns on my hood were interesting. Not much brake dust climbing the hill. All I can say is, the Virginia City Hill Climb ain't no wine and cheese concours. Ferraris are meant to be driven....and boy were they driven. Besides, with only a few exceptions, all the marks on the cars this weekend just wash off.

21. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Nice pics, David, thanks for posting them...it's hard to believe that's your car -- that always looks "showroom"!

22. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Dave, great pics! Can't wait to hear about it!

23. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    STUNNING pictures David! Thanks for sharing. Once again, it was nice meeting you over the weekend! :)

-G.B.

24. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #49 dakharris, Sep 21, 2009
    A few more...The Viper is out of focus because I had the shutter speed set way too slow for Dennis. The action shots were taken from turn 11 while I worked my shift as a corner worker. It offers a view of the longest "straightway" on the course with a cliff at the end with no guardrail. It's almost as fun to watch as it is to drive. The Noble was crazy fast. The TR was the fastest Ferrari V12. You have to admire the Tigers. They have skinny tires, carbs that need adjusting and their radiators are just not up to the task. Even though, they run pretty fast.

Thanks to the nice people of Virginia City and Silver City for their hospitality and the Sheriffs and Fire Depts of Storey and Lyon Counties, along with NDOT and NHP! Not to mention the students of VCHS, who made great lunches for hungry drivers. My fraternity bro, Tom, who is a volunteer fireman for Storey Co., got two rides up the hill with me on Sunday after he worked all day Saturday at the finish line. Not sure if his buds back at the station will admire him or have him placed under observation. :)

25. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Does anyone have photos from the 70s or 80s or even the early 90s of John O'Boyle running his Dark Sero Blue Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 S/N 11727in the event. I am the proud owner of the car these days and would Love to have some photos of it in competition. John organized the event for several years and once spun the car there. Any Photos would be appreciated from any other events. John said she was on the track at Laguna Seca and Sears Point as well as competing in FCA events.