Buying my 1st Ferrari - help! | FerrariChat

Buying my 1st Ferrari - help!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RobNYC, Sep 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobNYC

RobNYC Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2009
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Robert S
    Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out which model to buy.
    I am considering the 360 (coupe or spider), 550, 575, F430.

I can spend up to about $130K. The car will not be a daily driver. I live in NYC. I would like to day track days with the car, but I am concerned about the durability of Ferrari on the track and the cost involved. I have been doing track days for 10 years. Some of the cars I have owned: Porsche C4 Cabrio, Porsche Boxster S (modified), Corvette Z06, Numerous BMW 3 series, Subaru WRX.

I LOVE convertibles but don't know if I can do a track day with a spider. My Boxster is ok because it has the roll bars but I don't know if the Spider's roll bars are tall enough. I plan on keeping the car a looong time so I also have concerns about the convertibles durability & squeaks/rattles. I have a motorcycle I can drive when it's nice out so convertible is not mandatory - I may also just keep the Boxster depending upon how much I spend on the Ferrari.

I LOVE the 360 Modena/Spider but I have found F430 coupes I can afford. I do not want to regret buying the 360 - my Z06 had more HP but I sold that to get a Boxster S which imho is much better than the Chevy. I also like the 550/575 but they don't look as exotic to me although I have not seen too many in person. I'm leaning towards the 430 coupe even though I think the 360 is prettier.
    Any suggestions?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Suggestion #1 : spend a huge amount of time reading the various sections here about the various models in which you are interested - you'll find answers about track days models roll bars durability etc etc

And then buy the one you want & enjoy

3. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    Take your time and get a good example of the car you chose.

You might consider a 308 GTB or 308 GT4 that has been made into
    a track car by someone else and keeping the "new" car for the street.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Buy the pretty car. Bank up the extra moola for service.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I can tell you that when I was doing lots of HPDEs in my F355B, that the total cost for the weekend was about $1,500. This includes gas, motel, meals, tires, brake pads, brake rotors, engine oil, tranny oil, entrance fees, and typical entertainment (night). The cost of running the F355B was only a little higher (20%-ish) than the Vette used in a similar maner.

There are some HPDEs that allow convertibles in the Green (i.e. slow) run groups. But If you really want to run the snot out of a car, a convertable is not the best choice.

7. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    out of your list, imo the f430 coupe would suite track days best in general. Though of course all of them would do fine! gluck.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You seem to like the looks of the 360 the best. It should be the cheapest to run, though the 430 should be close. The 360 is among the cheapest to buy and should allow you to keep the Boxster.

Seems pretty clear to me.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The 430 is a major advance over the 360, don't ever drive one of them if you buy the older car.....

Spyders are admitted into Track Days as far as I know...in FCA events anyway....

Jump to a V12 is a big one repairwise, but values on the 550 right now are unbeatable, there's a beauiful example in FerrariAds right now!

Good hunting...

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You should probably drive a 550 before you really consider it instead of a 360/F430. I like them, a lot, but I found the driving position and ambiance more comfortable than sporting. Beautiful car -- better than the 360/F430, IMHO -- but not an adrenalin pump in the way the sports cars are.

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Testarossa or 512TR is what id go with. :)

12. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    From what you said, your personal preferences and what you want to do with it, I think the 360 Challenge Stradale is the car for you.

13. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Diablo? *Ducks*

14. RobNYC

RobNYC Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2009
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Robert S
    One other factor I am considering is depreciation. I have been following prices for some time now (autotrader).

The 360 has come down in price significantly over the past year. I have seen really nice Spiders for around $115K, Coupes from $90k-$100K. If I get a 360 I think I'll get the manual because I live in NYC with traffic.

From what I have seen i can get a decent F430 for around $130K for an early model. I don't know what changes, if any, have been made to that model since introduction. I believe the 430 will probably depreciate more over the next few years because it has just become the "old" model, the 360 has already taken that hit.

I bought my C4 Cabrio, kept it for 7 years, and sold it for $7k less than I paid. Cost me less to own that than my Subaru! I would love to find a Ferrari that depreciates as slowly.

I have been reading this forum to get knowledge, but I am trying to discern the valuable advice from the useless. I have yet to see much excitement here about the 430. The 360 seems to have a more loyal following. I also didn't expect as much enthusiasm about the older 3x8 models as I have seen here.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    All Ferraris follow a depreciation curve..Ferrari Market Letter is a good source for them.

More conversation on the 360 likely because there were SO many of them, plus 430 owners would be a different demographic, they are Current Playas and are busy "making it" instead of chatting on the Internet!! LOL!

Keep studying into the Market.

360s have the dreaded Cam Variator failure, 430s I am not sure they have not developed failure patterns yet. Is there a repair shop near you where you can sit around and 'talk shop"???? They see the cutting edge of tragedy in these cars.

308s have joined the Dino as Vintage now, 30 years old, last of the carbed NON CAT Ferraris...so you can have fun "in and out" of them all day long and the earliest are set for appreciation....maybe.

HTH.
    Alan

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The F430 is the best of the bunch. Buy the best in my opinion if you can afford it.

17. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I love my 308, and I have seen GTBs made into track cars. The 3x8 series have depreciated as much, probably, as they're going to. The handling is as good as, or better than, many new cars. They're straightforward enough that an average mechanic should be able to do most of the work they require.

That said, cars of this era do not have as much pure horsepower as you're probably looking for, considering that you've been driving a C4.

If I were looking for a car to use as you plan to, I still think the 360 coupe is probably your best bet.

And keep in mind that ALL Ferrari models have a few "issues." :)

18. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Wouldn't the 430 be cheaper since it doesn't require belt services?

19. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Ferrari(s) are like potatoe chips.......you can't just have one............

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    excellent analysis...i like that

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #21 Bullfighter, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    That sounds like a Ferrari documentary title.

Quentin Tarantino, Carbon McCoy and Brian Crall in The Cutting Edge of Tragedy - a technical tour of Ferrari production cars and the wallets that love them.