Air horns | FerrariChat

Air horns

Discussion in '360/430' started by FJS961, Sep 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I am a newbie, picked up my first F car in July, a 430 coupe. So far the only thing I don't like is the sound of the horn. I've been hanging out with a bunch of guys with 348s, 355s, TR's, etc and they have the old style (proper) horns. Mine sounds like it came from Detroit.

Any info from anyone who changed the horn to the old style?

2. jts355

jts355 Karting

Sep 2, 2005
    Yep. I bought a 355 air horn and had my dealer install it on my CS. sounds perfect now and very worthwhile.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

4. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    do you have DIY instructions?

5. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    I bought the kit from Daniel and installed them myself. Just need to take front bumper off and do some wiring. The hardest thing to do(on a 360 anyhow), was locate a place to mount them. I had to do some hack sawing to the bell of one of the horns to get it to sit nicely. I believe Greg Calo has a write up on here about the install. He helped me in getting them to work.
    *Note*- you have to put oil into the compressor because it doesn't come with any in there.

Before I was embarrassed to toot the horn at a friend, now it's quite a pleasure and its loud as hell in the garage(the kids love that part!)

Hunter

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #6 GCalo, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    360 HORN REPLACEMENT

1. Remove front bumper
    2. Remove left and right factory electric horns. There is one on each side.
    3. Purchase a two trumpet air horn kit and extra length clear tubing.
    4. Place the new horn bells in the driver side radiator area.
    5. Use steel wool to rough up the surface of the plastic trumpets, clean off, put newspaper or the like inside the trumpets, and then spray paint the red air horns flat black a day before you are to use them. The painting is done since you are placing them in the radiator area.
    6. Mount the air horn trumpets and run a length of tubing from the mounted trumpets towards front center where the compressor will go.
    7. Compressor mounting in center of vehicle is better as it keeps radiator heat away from the compressor. Drill two ¼” holes for the bracket into the trunk, push round head of the ¼-20 screws from inside the trunk towards the outside, and secure the compressor mounting bracket.
    8. Get a small container of 3-in-1 oil and squirt at least a few tablespoons in to the compressor. This is quite important. The compressor has to be lubricated or it will not work properly. You can’t overfill it, and any excess will just come out of the horns.
    8. Run the extended wiring from either of the old horn wiring connections to the new compressor location in the center of the vehicle.
    9. Feed the air hose tubing to the compressor.
    10 Connect the wire to the air comp.
    11. Test to make sure it is working. This is very important. You need to make sure it is working before you replace the bumper. There is an output and inlet on the compressor, and both connections are usually the same size! So make sure you test to ensure you have the tubing on the outlet side of the compressor!
    12. Replace the bumper and look for the alignment marks you previously made to ensure the bumper is properly aligned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Greg
    You should publish this kind of stuff. I'm sure there are literally thousands of people who would buy such crisp and clear directions.

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Many thanks but I don't want to horn in on other's ability to get these.

Please send donations though.

All will be gratefully accepted!!!

9. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for the info!

I was wondering if install in the 430 was the same as the 360?

10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
  11. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks!!!

12. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
  13. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I ordered the horn kit from Ricambi ... is that the same one you have? Is it the 355's horn?

14. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    With Greg's excellent instructions, I have no problem helping you tear your 430 bumper off and drilling some holes in the frunk (that's the front trunk) :D

Of course I'll have to take it for a spin so you can see what the horn sounds like at a distance :p

15. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    sounds like a plan

16. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    #17 sclja, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone needing their Ferrari properly retrofiitted in San Diego... We have done the 360 430 612 and the 599 and we have the parts in stock....

17. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Just ordered the air horn for my 360 spider. One of my favorite things about my 348 was the whimpy horn and the horn on the 360 is utterly criminal.

I also ordered a yello tack thingie. I wonder if I can install that myself.

18. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Sounds like a great write-up Greg!

19. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
  20. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Question ... hope Greg can answer

I ordered and received the air horn kit from Daniel. Supplied is one clear hose with a length of 26 inches.

Is that long enough to hook up both trumpets to the compressor?

21. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    So I had mine installed last week. They sound great, but it was expensive to have the dealer put them in.

22. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #23 FJS961, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    I haven't had a chance to yet but plan to install them myself this week with my buddy Uconn Husky's help. I'll let you know how it goes. Huge benefit of Fchat was meeting the local CT guys!

I agree with the "criminal" horn comment :)

23. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    in process of install and hitting snags of course.

Got bumper off however the washer reservoir is much larger in 430 than 360 (by Greg's photos) and takes up almost the whole center. There is no way a compressor can be mounted there. I had to drain the reservoir in order the disconnect the hose and get the bumper off. I am considering removing it altogether and then have lots of room. Maybe a 360 reservoir can be retrofitted?

I am also not sure about the power connection to the compressor as the wires going to the stock horns are short with no real slack

not really sure where to go from here?? any help??

24. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    I put the compressor inside the trunk on the 430 under the removable trim panel on the drivers side. Also because the compressor is usually the first thing to go on air horns so it is easy to access....

Scott