2001: a Space Oddyssey | FerrariChat

2001: a Space Oddyssey

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Liquid Assets, Sep 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    I bought this on Blu-Ray because i heard it was a top 10 classic. Can someone please tell me what i just watched?? Is this movie full of hidden message's? Didn't understand the black door shape object they found and what the message was...

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Great movie. The black monolith thing is some sort of alien tech that introduces intelligence to the apes. Fast forward a few million years and humans discover one on the moon that's sending signals off to some other planet.. I think Jupiter.. so a mission is sent out to see where it leads, computers rebel, interdimensional mayhem ensues, minds are blown. Might take a few viewings to fully appreciate. Recommend Darren Aronosfky's "The Fountain" for a similar experience.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It's my favorite film.

I've been tempted to start a thread on this, yet, I don't want to spoil it.

It is, indeed, multi-layered as can be.

But, it can be untangled.

For starters, you have to see it again.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I saw 2001 in a theatre when it first came out in '68. Have watched several times since then, and still don't get it; better to say, I don't get the point.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    A few years back, I rented this to show to the kids. They found it boring. I had forgotten how much slower movies moved back in the day. For the ADD generation, you have 30 seconds max to make your point.

But, yes, I do remember seeing this back in the day.

Dale

PS If you want a real obscure reference, anybody remember The Mouse that Roared? Ah yeah, back when movies had something called a plot.

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    "Open the pod bay door Hal" ;)

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #7 climb, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    A much better film in my opinion is the 1968 Russian film Solaris (not the 2002 remake with George Clooney). It's considered the anti 2001 sci fi movie.

I like 2001 too though.

A very brief description of Solaris:

Scientist sent to study a planet that is actually a life form...
    While the narration suggests that humans study the planet, the opposite seems to be the case, where the titular alien planet, Solaris, examines the secret and often guilty thoughts of human beings. These secrets and thoughts are given physical form on the space station which hovers above the planet.

An odd cartoon explaination of 2001:

http://www.kubrick2001.com/

8. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Nothing more than a piece of crap. I think you have to be on acid to watch. Absolutely a waste of money and time.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    1. Smoke a joint
    2. Watch it again right after
    3. All shall be revealed
    4. Eat (you'll have the munchies)

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Sadly, 2001 is one of the few movies I know of that you NEED to read the book to understand.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #11 TheMayor, Sep 24, 2009
    There would be no Star Wars if it were not for this movie. All of Star Wars outer space scenes and designs were based on it. The opening scene from Star Wars goes directly back to the opening scene where the Jupiter Mission ship is revealed for the first time.

You have to understand, it came out BEFORE the actual moon landing. Even today the technology shown is modern.

It had Flat panel color TV's for multiple computer monitors -- in the back of airplane seats. It had a talking voice recognition computer when we were still writing programs in Fortran on punch cards. It had image recognition -- something even today that's difficult to do, and video phone teleconferencing -- still rare except in the corporate world.

Remember .. there was not even a thought of an internet at the time. There were no PC's. There weren't even any electronic calculators. The only type of LED available was still expensive and only red colored.

There's a scene on the moon where there in a conference room and the camera man has wat appears to be a video camera looking similar to today's digital movie recorders.

He pays his telephone call with a debit card... when credit cards were barely used by the public in 1968.

And, it has techology still waiting to happen -- such as cryosleep and hotels in space with space tourists as guests.

Just as a period piece, it's an amazing body of film. It's hard to appreciate it over 40 years later.

Oh, and none of it is CGI -- all of it was made with models and photography: sets, costumes, equipment, ships, scenes, etc. Today it would be done (and look) horribly artificial.

Aside from that idiotic follow up 2010, I'm sure some nut ball producer is thinking of making a remake of it someday. Why, I have no reason (as I had no reason for that awful 2010 movie).

12. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    If you add one letter to the HAL what do we have? IBM!
    H + 1 letter = I
    A + 1 letter = B
    L + 1 letter = M

Not sure what it means.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What's READING?

14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #14 anunakki, Sep 24, 2009
    Unlike movies 'today', and by 'today' I mean over the past 30 years, you have to THINK to get 2001. Its not mindless entertainment and it doesnt spell out all the answers. Its supposed to make you think.

So to those who dont get it, I suggest trying again with your thinking cap on and remembering its not a Michael Bay film. A dark room with no distractions is required.

To all those who wonder why Hollywood cant make smart sci fi movies anymore this thread is your answer.

15. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    This was a great film. What the monolith was and represented is something you must unravel as the movie is playing out. And although not as good, there are some answers in the sequel, 2010.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    First scenes in pre-history are cool. There are a few interesting moments throughout the rest, but overall quite boring.

The book is better, 2010 and 2061 are also enjoyable books. I liked 2010 the movie much better than 2001 the movie.

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Movies go so fast now that i can't get them.

I do remember "The Mouse That Roared". There's a specialty rare titles video store here, I ought o check and see if they have it.

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    +1

Read the (fantastic!) book to understand the plot, then sit back and be amazed by Kubrick's visualization. The movie is about the pictures, not the plot.

19. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    +1

Being chemically enhanced made it an amazing movie for it's time.

20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #20 climb, Sep 24, 2009
    Kubrick had a way of holding the camera in one place with no actors or action taking place. Usually an ominous note or two from a keyboard and a pretty setting would hold the camera for several minutes. See it alot in the shinning, Barry Lydon (sp?), 2001 and most of all in eyes wide shut.

Lots of speculation about meanings but i think he spent so much time getting his sets right that he wanted to make sure you got an eyeful off it. Ends up boring/frustrating alot of people.

21. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    hahaha funny you should say that because about 15 mins in the movie when the apes wake up and see the monolith and start going crazy and it just cuts into space i paused the movie and did step 1. But i still kinda missed the big picture, i would have never thought the monolith gives intelligence to the apes like Robin said. Didnt understand the jupiter part when a computer that never has a error goes crazy for no reason and there's nothing explained besides seeing that damn monolith again flying through space... im gonna watch it again...

22. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    You must be getting mixed up with Pink Floyd's "The Wall" ;)

23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    2001 is one of those films that divides the generations. I loved the movie and find most of today's sci fi lacking in any real contant beyond CGI. Blade Runner is another movie that most people find boring or misunderstand. Great films.

24. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #24 davidgoerndt, Sep 24, 2009
    HAL goes bonkers because only he(it) knows the true purpose of the mission. Poole and Bowman are simply pilots to get HAL and the other members of the crew to Jupiter to study whatever the signal was sent to. Hal goes crazy because he's keeping a secret. 2001 shows space travel for what it really is, a slow, very slow process consisting of orbits, none of this zooming around in fighters forgetting about the laws of physics. Sure, todays' films are more interesting, but you don't have to engage your brain to watch them! Unfortunately, they made a sequel to 2001 that pretty much explained HAL and why they went to Jupiter (Saturn's moon Iapetus in the book. It was changed because it was proving too difficult to get an accurate looking Saturn on film). Clarke wrote two more books after 2001 to flesh out the story, 2010 and 2060. The center of Jupiter was a gigantic diamond that was scattered all over when Jupiter exploded. Personally, I liked it better when the story was a little vague instead of having to explain every little detail. How more poetic a sequence is there than the apeman tossing a bone into the air and the film cuts to an orbiting nuclear weapon!! The very first weapon used to kill and the very last

25. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #25 climb, Sep 24, 2009

Blade runner is awesome...Rutger Howard especially.

Again based on a book (Do Androids dream of electric sheep).

The movie also draws alot from the silent film Metropolis which if anyone has netflix can see. It's one of my favorite movies and my favorite silent film of all time.

One of the screenwriters, Hampton Fancher, did a movie a few years ago that i saw at Sundance called The Minus Man. While not sci fi it was good too.