Design Critique--not in love but interested | FerrariChat

Design Critique--not in love but interested

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bitzman, Sep 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I did this after seeing the car at a preview in Santa Monica. After seeing the car outside in Carmel at the St. Julian winery, I like it a little more....happy to hear comments on my commentary.

http://www.velocetoday.com/archives/1145

2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    When the California debuted, I was less than overwhelmed by its appearance. Earlier thought to have been intended as a new-age Dino, then a Maserati, it seemed to suffer from a schizophrenic disorder (among other things, it broke new ground as the first Ferrari front-engined V8). Then there was the four-seater retractable hardtop layout. It didn't exactly scream Ferrari. Finally, there was the look itself: an abundance of side sculpture, a high rear end to accommodate the retractable top, and its inevitable resemblance to other retractables. It wasn't until a trip to Maranello two weeks ago that I actually saw one (four, actually) in person. I have to admit that it makes a better impression "in the metal" than in photos. I'm not saying that it's an all-time great PF design. I don't believe that it is. However, it's not the dog that many have made it out to be. What it truly is, in my opinion, is Ferrari's answer to the Lexus SC 430, the BMW 6-series and the M-B SL. It is a GT car, perhaps perhaps geared more to the family, due to the rear seats. It is a compromise for Ferrari, without question, but one that I believe will pay off for them in time. Think of it as Ferrari's Cayenne: disdained by purists, but adding welcome revenue to the company's bottom line. Fred

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    +1 well balanced summary of what it's about

nothing more, nothing less; no need to be overly critical or gushingly praiseworthy. Middle of the road honest. The Cali is what it is.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree with everything posted here.

HOWEVER...

If I were money-no-object wealthy I would take the Cali as a daily driver compliment to my F430 spider.

The Cali may not be very attractive but a hardtop vert Ferrari for daily driving would be nice.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly. It's for people who want something more exciting than a Merc and don't want the soft top of a AM -- but also don't want the daily hassles of dealing with a true sports car like the F430. It's... a GT.

If the purists don't get it, so be it.