Testarossa w/strips with black felt found | FerrariChat

Testarossa w/strips with black felt found

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Sep 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #1 Mr.Chairman, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Greetings all.. I was able to locate the door opening weatherstips with the nice black felt. There is a company out of the UK that still produces them.. It is sold in 50 meter batches.. that equates to 164 feet.. Now I would think that I would have some left over. I am going to measure to see how much is needed to do both sides. Hopefully there is enough for two vehicles. If someone wants to come in with me let me know. It sells for 230 pounds.. Approx. $368.00 dollars plus shipping to the US.. I can try to negotiate as well, maybe we canget it cheaper.

R

2. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Mr. Chairman,

please let me know the details and I will look into it for you.

If necessary I can get it for you (while I get some for me) and then forward your to the US.

Let me know.

Phil

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Robbie -- I just measured my TR and got a little under 12' per side so 50m should cover 6 TR. Glad to volunteer as a co-conspirator to help spread the cost so please count me in.

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Excellent.. Phil is in the UK so he will check it out for me.. Glad this stuff is still available. I really don't like the look of the new stuff the Ferrari is offering.

R

5. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I'm on the case first thing Monday morning. :)

6. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Robbie
    Count me in

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #7 Mr.Chairman, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Excellent... o.k.. we got four (including myself) so far.. We need two more but if we dont get two more I am still getting this order... It is still going to be way cheaper then oem.. Any ideas on how to mitre and glue (what ype of adhesive) the corner area..

R

8. cryorunner

cryorunner Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    If this is a better match I'd certainly be in for a bulk purchase, as this is on my very long to-do list. Will love to see what it looks like when someone can get some pictures, and get some info on the source.

Sounds lilke a great find!

9. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I bought one of eBay a couple of weeks ago and did mine yesterday. It was only one side and I managed to use enough from the old drivers side, and the old passenger side to make one out of two.

My black felt had turned greenish and started to come off.

I located a place in Oz that had what I thought was a suitable product so I bought a few feet and tried it out. It looked fantastic, but when I checked the profiles side by side there were differences by a few mm. When the door closed, the puffy rounded rubber tube part of the seal that actually creates the seal between door and body didnt fit as well as the original. In fact the door closed on only half of the rubber tube and sort of pushed the rest away.

Hence I kept scrounging and located the correct product, pre cut to length, a genuine product.

So be a bit wary, make sure that if Phil goes for a look, that he takes along a perfect sample of an original moulding and compares that with a segment of this 'new' product.

It's way past bedtime here, but tomorrow I'll try and dig out the replacement that I located in Oz, and an offcut removed from my car yesterday and photograph them so you can see and appreciate the differences.

If it's the same, I'm up for 24' to do the other car though. Count me in, but let's make sure it's perfect first.

10. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    #10 Philwozza, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Robert, if you can take a few pictures with a rule/measure in the background this will help us compare actual sizes later.

I will call the company on Monday (I have already sent myself an email reminder to the office) and ask for a sample. I will photo as per your sample and once we both post the results we can make our own comparisons and decide the way forward.

I have just emailed them requesting a sample and will chase up on Monday

11. 4carbs

4carbs Karting

May 4, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Guys,

Count me in as well.

Peter

12. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I'll take a set please!!
    Kerry

13. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    If as Rob suggests your profile is correct I would also like to get enough for my car. Keep all the supply for the AUS cars and I will pick up the lot and hand deliver to AUS. Mike

14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Sure Chairman....where were you a couple of years ago?

I would be "IN" but having paid the $800.00 for the door seals....the first replacement since the car was new, it would be a long time since I could use the ones you sourced.

....good detective work though!!

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

15. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Well its not absolute yet.. Phil in the UK is going to check out and ivestigate. We should have a report soon..

R

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The question is do you have the black felt or not.. lol

If you don't it would drive you crazy knowing that the oem stuff is available and that you dont have it on your car.. How is your car running.. glad to see you have her back on the road..

R

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Robby -

Mine are in good shape now. But, I would be in for a set as well to help out the cause and be prepared for a possible future need. Anxious to see the details.

Curtis

18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Yes, it does bother me that the OEM stuff wasn't even available from Ferrari. The door seals I have are replacements for the Testarossa which are really 512TR seals.

I will say though (not an excuse) without the felt, you don't get any wear or scuffs on the seals. The rubber "O" on the door side is the same exact size and where the felt would go has a textured rubber finish. They look very nice but the "original" is well.....the original.

The F seals already have a grey sealant applied inside the rubber. The sealant is not a glue type as you can pull the seal up and back and still maintain adhesion.

Make sure your seal has that...or you'll have to glue it....that would be a mess. If you do have to glue it use 3M weather strip adhesive (black tube) from Advance Auto.

TR is running well. I want to post my observations and analysis on what I think the problems were....that will benefit the forum.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

campbell360 likes this.
  19. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #19 uzz32soarer, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay lads,

Here's the promosed pictures. Sorry about the crap quality, but these were very had to get a focus on, and it's bloody cold in the shed and I was shivering as well.

Anyhow,

First pics are of my original Testarossa seals. I'd say about 5' of the full 12' length have turned green over the years. The rest is black still. probably the higher areas more visible inside the car went green, which may be a reflection on the UV properties of the felt part.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #20 uzz32soarer, Sep 27, 2009
    Note in the pic above how far the felt part rolls around and how it's finished.

Next pics are of my old rubbers against a brand spanking new Testarossa rubber.

Following that, are images of the brand new rubber. Of most importance is how the flat (squared) edge of the rubber 'tube' is sitting in relation to the 'clamping' part of the moulding. Basically even with it. This is the most important part, as if this rubber tube is in a different place, when you shut the door, the edge of the door doesn't compress on the centre of the rubber 'tube' but rather on the edge of the tube which distorts it and it won't seal properly.

21. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #21 uzz32soarer, Sep 27, 2009
  22. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #22 uzz32soarer, Sep 27, 2009
    Now it is pretty close. Even having the other little sealing lip does no harm and it seems to push on most everywhere. A few more barbs to hold it in place caused a bit of a drama where you have the leather also folded over the body seam it's tough to get it on.

The part that didn't work well enough for me was in the shape and position of the rubber 'tube' It sits slightly higher than the original, but it's more aerated and pliable and being a perfect round shape, it distorted differently when the door was closed.

I've tried to explain it in the following picture. The original deforms in a specific direction and actually covers more of the door sealing area when it's squashed.

The one I found distorts evenly and squeezes out of the door edge when squashed. It's passable, but just not right.

23. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The stuff you bought looks just like the stuff I found.. Looks like this is not going to work.. Phil will investigate and advise anyway but I think this is a bust..

R

24. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Good new so far....

Minimum order to the USA and AU is £70. Dont know shipping costs. There is no 15% VAT to pay.

Minimum order in the UK is £40

A sample is on its way to me tonight so as soon as I get it I will photo and post up the pictures.

25. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    #25 Philwozza, Sep 28, 2009