Potential change(s) in 2010 F1 schedule? | FerrariChat

Potential change(s) in 2010 F1 schedule?

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Sep 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Read this and was wondering if you guys have heard or have read anything about this? Does seems a bit strange to move the big top circus from Monaco to Instanbul in a couple day's time.

Carol

AP story on Yahoo Malaysia

Teams seek changes to provisional 2010 F1 calendar

SINGAPORE – The Formula One teams have expressed concern over the provisional 2010 calendar, seeking to have the date of the Turkish Grand Prix moved.

The provisional dates have the race in Turkey on May 30, just a week after the Monaco GP, putting teams on a tight schedule to move all their equipment across Europe.

However, pushing the Turkish GP back by a week would also cause problems, as that would leave only one week until the Canadian Grand Prix.

The Canada race is dependent upon smoothing out remaining contractual difficulties between local organizers and F1. If those negotiations founder, Turkey would likely be moved back into that June 13 date. Otherwise, a more wide-ranging calendar shake-up may be required.

___

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Arrgh.

I won't go to Turkey if the race is in mid June. Too hot. Maybe I should tell the FIA that as I'm the one and only customer left they will have at that race.

The original plan had the Turkish GP at the end of April. That was perfect. No idea why these bozos moved it to the end of May. Now thinking about June is the kiss of death.

I sat through a Valencia GP with triple digits and it was hell. Never again.

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I recall they mentioned something about that on speed this morning but I was dozing in and out of sleep during the race:(

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #4 DGS, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
    Nobody else wanted to be on against the Indy 500? ;)

... or nobody else wanted to be on time delay coverage on Fox? :D

5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I show Montreal as 6th and 13th, depending. Anyone know which one is real? too early to tell?

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    on the provisional calendar it was shown as the 6th. on the official calendar it is the 13th provided the pay Bernie his extortion fee:(

7. StreetSpeed

StreetSpeed Rookie

Sep 14, 2009
    #7 StreetSpeed, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    I hope it's the 13th since that's the date for which I made my hotel reservations.

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    You could view this as an omen for not going to Turkey ! ! !

Seriously, I hope you can make it work since you'll be their ONE and ONLY customer.

Carol

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    If I were going to Canada, I'd be holding reservations for the 6th as well as the 13th ! !

Carol

(perhaps the weekend before and after those dates too!!!)

10. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    As soon as we heard it was back on the block, we booked all 4 weekends in June.

But it would be nice to book plane tickets too. And there are other things to be planned. I wish they would get their poop in a pile.

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I don't understand why they don't just kill the worst procession in the F1 calendar (Hungary) and move Turkey to that slot. Actually - I do understand that it's all $$$ related, but still...

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Why not go to a different race than Turkey?

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #13 tifosi12, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Bernie is putting the squeeze on the Hungarian GP by now talking to the Bulgarians. No joke.

I like to go to a different GP every year and in Europe there are very few left I haven't been to. Living in the US the Far East is just that, very far away. :)

Besides: Turkey and Istanbul are stunning vacation destinations and the GP is a good excuse to travel there.

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Here's the latest I read this morning - but still up in the air

Carol

Revenue aside, the teams expressed concern during meetings in Singapore last weekend about the scheduling of Monaco and Turkey next year as a mid-year back-to-back event.

Ecclestone appears already to have acknowledged the problem, by arranging that if negotiations with Montreal organisers fall through, the Turkish round will be delayed by a week to give teams more time to turn around after Monaco.

But if Canada does get the go-ahead, we reported the paddock rumour from Singapore that one outcome is that Turkey, so badly attended this year, might simply be dropped.

If the Istanbul round is directly preceded by Monaco, it is likely that teams will need to designate it a 'flyaway' rather than a standard European road-transported event, which would have serious repercussions in terms of cost.

Neale admitted that the Monaco-Turkey back-to-back would be a "phenomenal logistics challenge".

"Of course we want to do both events, and it's important that we do them well, but we just need to bear in mind that uprooting all of the infrastructure out of Monaco and moving across to Turkey is not a trivial issue, so we've got some questions around that," he added.

15. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Come to Spa with me. I understand it's still on your 'to do' list.

I had a choice of either Spa or Britain. I chose Spa because I've been to Silverstone a few times and if it happens at Donington I really don't want to be there for the first one as I think it'll be a mess.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Spa is a consideration. Problem is that next year I'm already doing Pebble Beach and would therefore like to see a GP in the first half of the year. Too many constraints...

But if they drop Turkey altogether, then maybe.

As far as Donington is concerned, I think you hit the nail on its head. Which is also why I didn't want to be at the first Valencia GP. Firsts always suck. :)