Driving / racing games - I don't get it? | FerrariChat

Driving / racing games - I don't get it?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by the_stig, Sep 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I'd love to get Forza 3 and GT5. I have a couple of the previous GT versions and some other highly recommended racing games.
    Here's the problem: I suck at the games. The controls have no sensitivity, no feel and no feedback and because of that my inputs have no relationship to the actions of the car I'm supposedly "controlling". I even bought a (at the time) pretty good Logitech steering wheel and I sucked even worse with that. Constant over-controlling, too fast, too slow, too sharp, too...
    Am I the only one who can not master one of these games to even complete one lap of a track at greater than walking speed? Is it simply that I need to invest a few hundred hours? Honestly that's not likely to happen - if the games not enjoyable until you've invested that much time then there are other things I'd rather be doing.
    Help me to understand!

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Have you tried PC games like Live for Speed http://www.lfs.net/ or rfactor http://www.rfactor.net/ or older games like GTR2 or Grand Prix Legends.

Makes all console games seem "arcade" by comparison. The PC games don't get the big licences so if you want to drive a Veyron you're stuck with consoles.

All games in general require time to get better at them, but the "fun" factor should be there from the get go. Even if you are driving slower, if you're not having fun the chances of sticking around gets less with time.

Anyway see if Live for Speed is more to the feeling you are looking for. If you have tried it and don't like it... maybe stick to racing in real life :eek:

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I've not tried any PC games. What gets me with the console games is that other people seem to get some enjoyment right from the get go and be fairly coordinated while I seem incapable of relating the game to any sort of real driving whatsoever. Oh well... can't get near the games anyway between Rock Band and Guitar Hero being used.

4. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    i bought the:

logitech g25 racing system and a raceseat

basically it simulated sitting in a recaro racing seat with clutch steering and 6 speed shifter and paddles

get this.. It's hard for me to enjoy driving games WITHOUT this set up.. I love it

so much fun

cant wait fot GT5

5. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I've seriously thought about a setup like that but wouldn't do it unless I knew that I was going to enjoy the game a whole lot more than I do right now.

6. Chris-CXC Simulations

Chris-CXC Simulations Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Considine
    Well, I think you have to ask yourself; What do I want out of my driving game?

If you want the ultimate driving experience good enough to be used as a training tool - iRacing (http://www.iracing.com/) is the way to go for sure. Their product is second to none in terms of car physics and track modeling. For hardware (short of suggesting one of our turn-key, full-motion simulators) I would say, invest in a good simple chassis and the Logitech G25 wheel should be fine. I can recommend several chassis that should fit the bill nicely.

If you want to drive all the hot cars, but don't care about realism so much - Forza and GT5 should be just fine on a console.

Thing is, PC's can do so much more with physics and the hardware available is so advanced (even feedback technologies), that consoles just keep up with them. the flip side is they are no where near as easy to get going right away and are expensive. That is precisely why we created our simulator...to solve the first problem at least :)

I can provide many resources for you to gather ideas and learn if you are interested in looking down the PC route. Consoles, I know less about....

-Chris Considine

7. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    #7 MamoVaka, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    the whole set up was around 700 bucks.. it's not nuts for someone that loves cars.. and I gotta tell you.. you play Gran Turismo with that set up and you WILL become a better driver on the track.

a game with the attention to detail/cars and physics that gran turismo 5 has, with the setup I have very closely models the experience of driving these cars..

of course not having the feeling of gforce/inertia slip etc. is a problem.. as that feeling is important in racing.. other than that it's a blast.. I cannot wait for GT5 to come out :)

the g25 only works on the ps3/pc though.. so xbox 360 wont work with it.

8. ItalianHorses

ItalianHorses Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    It maybe the age thing. I could do it perfectly when I was younger, no I suck at these games.

9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Just get the demo of Live for Speed, the system requirements are pretty low. You can play with a mouse (that's how sensitive the controls are). It plays completely different to any console game. Strangely you might enjoy it more. :eek: If you decide to buy the game it comes with a Sauber.BMW F1 car now that is a challenge with the assists off :eek:

I come from a PC gaming background so always found GT/forza a bit lacking but you have to adjust the way you play to what the game wants not what you expect to happen in real life.

These are games after all. :D

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Have both so that's not an issue. Just can't seem to get past the lack of a link to any real "feel".

11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Couple of things here:
    1. Buy a good controller - the aforementioned Logitech G25 + Playseat combo is superb. It makes you feel that you are driving a car and not just playing a silly game

2. Turn off all the driver aids provided by the game - you will find the car handling characteristics more realistic and neutral.

3. Play with the Controller Advanced settings - it has settings for dead zone and sensitivity for throttle, brake, clutch, steering. You can tune down the oversensitivity this way.

Do at least #2 first and drive for some time to see if you have an improvement. Then go for Options #3 and #1.

12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Thanks.

13. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    i was terrible with the thumb control things,bought a steering wheel
    to play the games, much better.

14. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    i think it's funny that you guys seem to have the exact oposite reaction to a steering wheel.
    I've owned a couple different ones, and i've played with the logitech one. I found the controls to be MUCH harder with the wheel.
    I even play with an Xbox360 controller on my computer to play racing games like Need4Speed Shift.

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Got the seat and logitech system, bought a lcd screen (40") and the PS3. You can adjust the feel, and it does help, but it was about 2k for the entire deal. Not cheap, don't use it enough.

Art

16. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    you will use it once gt5 full version comes out :) I plan to play the hell out of that game.. if for no other reason it will make me a better driver on the track.

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Throw in a Buttkicker, and you will feel the bumps.

18. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I love the forza series Granturismo not so much but its good. Ferrari challenge was too difficult. I can't play any racing game with a wheel, must have a controller. But I love these games. So much replay value and they've become amazingly detailed!