oust varsha | Page 3 | FerrariChat

oust varsha

Discussion in 'F1' started by brian.s, Sep 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yeah all of the BBC team fly out to every race.

2. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You're right it doesn't take an intimate knowledge to form and opinion; but it does to be correct. Sam Posey, for years, has been dealing with the effects of a dibilitating disease (the same that took Phil Hill's life). Last year he did a moving euology of Hill during the Lime Rock Vintage Festival. Bring on more Sam Posey F1 intros; there is more drama, insight, and quality in them than the whole broadcast that follows.

3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    +1

love Posey,he has more passion than many plus the credentials to be a reporter.

as for chassis, what's wrong with that?, it's a Red Bull chassis and Renault engine. Brawn chassis, Mercedes engine. Only true descritive 'car' would be Ferrari and Renault.

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    He calls ALL the cars Shassees, even the Ferraris and Renaults... Just annoying to me..

G

5. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    I love the SpeedTV commentators, they're like a pack of friends watching an F1 race. Sure they might not have the technical knowledge of Martin Brundle and they over explain stuff which can be annoying, but I prefer their 'comradery'

6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I can't stand Brundle's lisp; and he's a very monotone broadcaster.

7. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    +1 The Voom channel (defunct as of Jan 24, 2009), and Discovery both had/have higher quality content and images than Speed does. Voom ran a series called "Classic Racers" that had great in-car shots mixed with the "human interest" side of things. Granted, a couple of their subjects were more Classic blowhards than Classic Racers but it was a small price to pay for the rest of the series coverage. Any you are right, Discovery has fantastic TT coverage etc.

8. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Discovery's HD theatre is the best station going for motorin fans. As a matter a fact it has the best television programming I have seen since the pre-Fox Speedvision days. They also just announced that they will begin covering WRC here in the states again starting this upcoming weekend! It give me goosebumps just typing that.

Now only if they were to start covering F1 as well, while bringing along Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett of course. Then we could stop tuning into Speed entirely. Let the NASCAR fans have there's, and let us have our's and finally give up on the notion of trying to make NASCAR fans fans of F1 and real motorsports.

9. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    #59 Rubino, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    Phil Liggett (Tour de' France announcer) as lead.
    John Force for some energy and color.
    Flavio for the real poop on what's going on (with immunity granted)

It would be a riot !

ps Oh yeah, The CTS/SRX Cadillac lady (who?) in a hot outfit on the grid. At least the drivers would talk to her.

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    +1

I'm surprised so many have an issue with these guys. I think they work pretty well together, especially for a trio where it's easy to trip over one another. I'm sure this is a much more difficult job than it seems--I remember how surprised I was that Derek Daly was so poor at it. The only part of the telecast I've never liked is Peter Windsor's pre-race pit walk since it's so embarrassingly rushed and disorganized. "Oh look! Will.I.Am! I've got your CD! Now let's move over here and see if we can find...oh, never mind, he's already talking to someone else..." But I guess that won't be a problem next season. Maybe if they hired Megan Fox to do it, they'd have a line forming of who's-who to talk with her:)

11. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    That's right; WRC on Discovery! How could I have forgotten? If it wasn't for F1 I wouldn't watch any Speed TV programming.

12. JCW Driver

JCW Driver Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bronson G.
    Varsha is a hell of a lot more credible than some internet keyboard jockeys here seem to realize. He's been involved in motorsports coverage for 30 years, done F1 for more than 20, and is a genuine enthusiast.

On the fly, with a live mic (and often a camera) and a red light on, 2 producers in your ear simultaneously talking about something often completely different, WHILE you are trying to watch 12 monitors and provide correct 'play-by-play' ain't as easy as it looks and sounds.

He does a fine job. You may not like his "style" but he is very good at what he does.

13. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht

If he's such a genuine enthusiast how come he makes dumb mistakes that even the most novice F1 fan wouldn't make? He doesn't know the drivers don't wear their watches in the car? He doesn't keep track of who'se in P1 and makes a mistake when the car comes on the screen (despite the helmets and on-board cameras being totally different colors)?

Clearly he does not do a fine job, considering there a lot of other commentators who do the same job and don't make so many mistakes.

I am baffled that people want to give the guy a pass because he's busy. There are plenty of guys who do it well. Why should we give him a pass because he sucks but at least he's trying?

Badoer didn't deserve a free pass either. If you're meant to be at the top of your game, well, you better have game. If you suck, people are going to get irritated.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    +1...There's nothing about Sam Posey that "sucks" as our young friend puts it....Too bad there aren't more people as accomplished, intelligent and respected as he is....a Rennaissance man who paints, designs furniture and buildings (including the timing tower at Lime Rock), writes, does TV, all the while battling Parkinson's Disease.

15. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    That's all find an dandy but I find his intro's to be overly dramatic and his voice annoying. I'm not saying he's a bad person, just don't car for his announcing style.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Considering how boring most F1 races are these days with the passes occuring in the pits the guys do a decent job of calling the race and keeping things interesting for 20 laps of...nothing. I do wish they would do at least a few races live at the venue though.

Someone earlier mentioned AMA race coverage, now that is what sucks. Greg White comes across as a puffed-up buffoon, and Russell's drawl is very distracting. Did he just say they were "all on the track" or that there was "oil on the track"?

17. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Those pieces before a race are supposed to be dramatic When Posey runs his situational analysis before a race he has me hooked. Too bad the following 2 hours of F1 and the quality of the broadcast don't usually measure up to his intros. Send more Sam Posey!

and PS: it might be the Parkinsons that is making his voice "annoying".

18. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yep, and Varsha is about on par with them. Excellent observation. They all need replacement. JMO.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Pleonasm

20. dealerjack

dealerjack Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2003
    SW Florida
    Full Name:
    John
    I also watch the BBC coverage by way of a Slingbox in London with a connection to my video system in the US. Yes, it is far superior to Speed for a variety of reasons - primarily because the commentators know they are speaking to a knowledgeable F1 audience and therefore don't talk down to their viewers, they are located at the circuit with the result being a much more connected feel to what is taking place, and last be not least - no inane commercials every few minutes.

Having said that, as a fan of F1 since the mid 1970s - I'm still pleased that Speed carries the coverage at all and I do watch the GP2 races on Speed. If you can't access the BBC, it's still a very viable option. The commentators are not the most knowledgeable or closest to what is going on in F1 today and I imagine it is not easy doing the race coverage from North Carolina while watching on a TV screen - but all things considered, I think they do a decent job.

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #71 LightGuy, Sep 29, 2009
    I have to try this if I can figure it out.
    +1 on Matchett. Lately he has caught some insightful stuff in an instant. I'm pretty sure he caught Barrichello's load spring into Massa's helmet Live. It had to be rewound for everyone else to see it in Slo-Mo. Including me.
    My fave of them all.
    But once again I like the overall blend on Speed.
    Varsha does make me cringe at times.
    How bout Dennis Miller to sub a few ? ;)

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #72 TheMayor, Sep 29, 2009
    Don't worry boys... it's only going to get worse. When Danica's career is "over", you can bet where she'll be.

And I thought Sam Posey was an annoying pompous know-it-all aZZ...

BTW: I actually like the Speed team. I think some are being too tough on them. Nobody's perfect but it could be a heck of alot worse.

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Now there is a scary thought.
    Long live Varsha !

24. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    I think Bob, David and Steve along with Peter do a great job considering. What more could they do? Steve talks about all things technical which is great, David provides a little humor and racing experience and Bob is there to make sure things go smoothly. He also brings up quite a few interesting questions too. If Bob were not there, I'm not sure if the other three could have a fluent conversation.

Nothing against the guy, but I simply cannot stand Leigh Diffey's voice. It's like he's continuously screaming at me. "HAYRE GOOOO THAAA LAWGHTS!!!" "AWH NOOO, SAWMONE CRASHED!".

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Is there anything worse than Derek Bell's "Well... well... well".

As if to say: "Look at the big talker race car driver now! I guess you just fell to earth with that mistake".

I can't stand him. He's the reason I stopped watching events on ABC.