Carbed Boxer for $88K??? | FerrariChat

Carbed Boxer for $88K???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by American Pie, Sep 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. American Pie

American Pie Karting

Nov 3, 2007
    Camarillo, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    #1 American Pie, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #2 finnerty, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    I would say the buyer got a "very good deal", but I wouldn't say the car was "stolen"....

Then again, I'm not one of the zealots out there who ever thought Boxers were worth 120-150K, in recent years, either ;)

So, IMHO, the car was worth maybe 95-100K --- the buyer got it for 88K --- not a radical disparity.

FLAME SUIT ON.... Boxer fans !!!

3. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    To each his own, some guys like them, and some don't.

That looks like a nice car, and sounds like the owner kept it up. But at 88K I'll bet he's not smiling.

John

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's indeed a good deal, probably for both sides....

Sounds like a very nice car, plastic still on the sills, low mileage and all that...

And the number of people walking around with $100K of Mad Money willing to pull it out of the pocket and blow it, is falling by the day....

5. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    This one for $88K and another one for $78K a few months ago, both on eBay. If the buyers gone through the PPI and everything looks good, I think they are good deals.

6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I guess with Boxers now in the $7x,xxx - $8x,xxx range, Testarossas are coming down as well.... Maybe the $3x,xxx range isn't too far away for a nice one. Who would have thought. Obviously there are exceptions to the rules and you can never overpay for a perfect car.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

ebay is NO place to sell a boxer...nor is barrett jackson either. as i have said in previous threads, peter sweeney @ forza motors indicated to me that boxers are $100 k for drivers and work their way up.

ebay is a great place to steal a good boxer with no reserve. don't expect bill noon @ symbolic or brandon lawrence to offer a good car for that money.

8. ferraripete

so by your thinking, the floor is approx $70k and the ceiling is around $80k...ok.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Provided its mint.
    ;)

10. ferraripete

david, goes without saying!

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nice looking car, doesn't appear to have books or tools, almost certainly no California BAR sticker, tires look like the Goodyears which were on my car when I bought it-- which were not high speed rated.

Given all of that, assuming the PPI checks out, I'd say it was a good, but not screaming, buy.

12. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Is this the type of car those folks would buy, fix the little things, have a compression test done and on hand, and then resell at their dealership. I would if I were them.

Drew Altemara

13. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Always loved those cars (first F-car I ever drove back in the eighties) I guess more and more people dont have the $$$ to buy these cars and prices will continue to fall.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Boxer is a small niche market of buyers, guys (and I knew one girl) of a "certain age"......

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...and much like the Testarossa, the purchase price has to be backed up with a hefty budget for service, and/or deferred maintenance

16. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    I recently sold one just under 140K. There are still buyers out there who will pay for clean cars. We spent over 20K on the service making it right.

17. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
  18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i suspect once he finds out the carbs are original and gets his first bill...he'll wished he had 120 in cash in the bank ;).......all these damn pictures look nice, i havent seen a ferrari from 5 feet away on a pic i havent liked yet :D

19. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    Without knowing anything else it appears to have been a very good deal, carb boxers will always be sort after if they are in good shape and this low mile car appears to be just that> perhaps he was just in the right place at the right time. i for one would not buy a car via ebay one wonders what research they did? Anyway i like my fuel inj bbi just turn the key once!

20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The deal fell apart, as the buyer was French and is having issues with getting the car imported.

21. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    ???

That's strange. Usually, the problems are with going the other way (into the US or a more restrictive country). France is pretty liberal with vehicle importing and registration.

22. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    talked to the owner as I was close on the bidding....car is paid for and shipped out earlier this week.....oh well.........

23. ferraripete

to europe?

24. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    I believe so..FYI, my '67 Hemi GTX just went to Germany