Rebuild the engine? | FerrariChat

Rebuild the engine?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Pengster355, Sep 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pengster355

Pengster355 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
    Guys,

Im getting close to having engine out for timing belt change (it has been 3 years since I last changed it but Im going to push it a little more after reading many articles and debate but wont leave it beyond 4 years)

I use my car pretty much as daily drive (3-4 times a week), track once a year but I try to do long drive few times a year that I would get her fully exercise.

My milage is 81,000 km !!! so question is should I rebuild the engine when I take it out for belt change. So far, she still runs well. (leakdown test when I bought the car 3.5 years ago at 62,000km was well within the range)

I guess that majority would vote for YES but just wanna hear few opinions. For those whom have done it before, can you please provide estimate budget for it?

Thanks guys
    Peng

2. WillW

WillW Karting

May 23, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    There is absolutely no need for engine rebuilt (if something hasn't broken and compressions and leakdowns # are ok), do at least same mileage more and then check condition of engine. These are not F1 engines, you can put miles on them... :)

3. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I'd just change all the seals, gaskets and ancillary stuff for the time being.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    If there is no issues with the engine mate, PLEASE do not rebuild the engine and save your $30K! :D:D

These engines are built to last!! There is a 348 on here with 105,000 miles!! That is around 170,000 km on the original engine and still running strong. :D:D

I am sure your 355 engine will last just as long. Just keep up with the regular engine oil changes and services etc..etc. and you should have MANY more years of trouble free driving :):)

5. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Who's 348 is that?

6. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    81,000km!!!!! ROTFLMAO!! I have owned my 1995 F355 for 10 years. Its now got 94,000 MILES! (151,000km) on it. Its still going as strong as its ever been. So your piddly 81,000Km will be ok:)
    By the way for anyone who likes to know, the valves are original and the right hand side manifold was replaced 4 years ago. Other than that i have never had any engine problems at all.

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The black one with black CH wheels! :D:D

Ummmmmm.............whats his name! :eek::eek:

Lol lol lol!! :eek::eek:

VERY cool mate! I reckon you will go another 151,000 km without any issues! :D:D

8. Pengster355

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
    coolie. thanks to all Maestro.

yup, I send mine for service every 5-6k KM. so all should be fine

Tubi manifolds just went in about 2 months ago.

good news which means I have extra 20-30k to buy other things!! wooo hooooo

thanks again
    P.

9. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    We NEED more threads like this!!!!

I also drive my car regularly, I have just on 58,000kms now. Turns out that is low mileage!! :D

10. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    ....................... :D

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very good sir!! :D:D

I hope you enjoy another 80,000 km's of happy motoring! :D:D

****, my 40,000 km must be VERY low mileage then! :eek::eek:

12. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    correction ................... that is NO mileage Pap ............... you must be spending too much time underground .............. ;)

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yeah, must be! :(:(

14. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Nice to hear with all the fear mongering going on of 355 engines! They are solid motors with the appropriate servicing...

+355!

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is awesome that you are able to drive it 3-4 times a week. If the engine is in fine working condition, why would you even consider rebuilding? I would leave it alone.

16. Pengster355

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
    while we are at this,

Is there any differences between normal clutch and Challange clutch? IF so, is it worth putting Challenge one ?

Thanks
    Pengster

17. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #17 Llenroc, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would stick with the standard 355 clutch disc. The racing disc is very hard on the flywheel and pressure plate. For the street there is no benefit to the race disc, they are also very "grabby". The first picture is of my flywheel after using the CH disc you can see on the outer edge there is a groove(about a 1/4 inch in from the edge) worn into the flywheel. Flywheels on the 355 are very expensive to replace, the std disc doesn't eat up the FW like the harder material race disc does. It is far cheaper to replace the disc than the FW, another way to say it is I would rather the disc wear out than other way around. The second photo is of the 2 different discs the lower is a new std. piece and the upper is the factory CH disc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    NICE!!!! Keep on posting! This is the caution with online forums...owners with problems are more vocal naturally! But for every one of those there's many with high miles motoring just fine. How go put another 6k on for the magic 100k! I'm at 44k miles myself... :D

19. Pengster355

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
    Thanks, I will stick to the standard clutch then

cheers
    P.

20. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    #20 sambomydog, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Thanks:) Yes i have been blessed with a great engine, which i drive very hard using the red line every time i use it. The car pulls as great as it ever did and feels as tight as it ever did. I have put on 70ish miles on it my self over the 10 years without any major problems. The R/H manifold started to spit a few years back but that was a very easy fix. Other than that i keep on top of the engine without spending half what most do on here. Dont know what it is about the valve issue but mine are original units, my power is very good and there has never been any indications of bad valves. I change my oil twice a year and have never topped up in between.
    But in my experience, it does not matter how many people post up about how high there miles are on there 355s (i am talking about above 60miles guy and not 20k ;)) It is all easily forgotten by the terrified masses and before you know it there's a new thread about mileage. And people asking is 40K miles to high, ferrari people seem to love to feed this mileage monster.
    We all know and hear often about the potential problems of the 355, but so do alot of other models. But on the forums i read this is amplified to extreme proportions with the 355s, and this again feeds the monster. But take it from me, mine is one of the many many good news stories out there that are over shadowed by the bad news stories which are posted up on forums:)
    100,00K miles? "Man i wont even notice, i will be to busy looking gooood":D (Afro dude in Enter the Dragon:D)

21. SKUSA

SKUSA Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2009
    Norcal
    I am looking at a 355 with about 40K miles on it. It has good service records and has had the valve guides replaced. I believe in driving the car and would probably put on about 10K a year. I am concerned about the maintenance costs, especially in the 40 to 100K mileage range. What are realistic expectations for maintenance costs? is 40K miles an issue, should I be looking for a lower mileage car if I am planning on driving a lot. I am encouraged to see that sambomydog has had luck in the car not being in the shop all of the time.

22. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    These engines are built to last!! There is a 348 on here with 105,000 miles!! That is around 170,000 km on the original engine and still running strong. :D:D

Holy mother of God ! Over 105k miles .... and still running strong ?

23. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow! I looked up the 355 CH disc on the Ricambi site. Almost $1200! I have 2 new CH discs. Thought they were of no value. Guess they are only worth what the market dictates. $1200 is insane!

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

you know why? because you drive your car ...I LOVE THE HIGH Mile GUYS!!!!