Which is more fun: Paddles or Manual | FerrariChat

Which is more fun: Paddles or Manual

Discussion in '360/430' started by MalibuGuy, Oct 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I actually think the paddles are more fun!
    But then again...

2. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    got to be the Stick, with no doubt

3. ZeEN

ZeEN Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2007
    Turkey
    Full Name:
    Eren
    It depends on what you used to i think, i found paddles easy and fun.

4. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Which is better -- blondes or brunettes?

As a life long 3-peddle guy I tried'em both and definitely like the paddles better, but some guys prefer the stick. Strictly a matter of personal taste. The paddles will always be faster around a track but the "fun" factor is purely subjective.

5. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Yeah, asking which is more "fun" is like asking what color is best.

For me, red and manual thank you very much.
    But I've read as many others say that combo makes them want to vomit.
    Our differences is what makes the world a wonderful place, no?

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    On a race track :: rather even
    On the interstate :: doesn't mater
    On back roads :: Manual.

7. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Well..... even though I have a manual, I'd still say that the F1 takes it.
    It's very difficult to match the speed of an F1 shift.

8. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    good distillation

9. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    On track F1 will be faster, because there is no need to heel & toe and worry about & wrong gear (coz I am not a pro), just need to concentrate on the racing line, F1 sorts out the gear perfectly. However, if I can do it in perfect gear change and do the racing line right together then it will be huge rewarding to myself rather than using the F1.

In the traffic Jam, Stick is so much better, just need to control clutch rather than burning clutch of the F1.

So I will go for the Stick IMO.

10. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #10 raptorduck, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Considering I have a manual roadster and an automatic in my stable, I say paddles, as that is what my 360 spider has. I would probably say manual if one of my other cars had paddles. Variety is fun. I am thinking about an R8 and that will be manual.

Which is best?
    When I feel lazy and distracted and just want to cruise and let the car drive me to get from point A to point B: Automatic
    When I feel fiesty and controlling and want to have fun and drive the car and go from point A to B through point M and Z: manual
    When I want to go as fast as possible for a person of limited skills, but want to pretend it is all due to my skills as I go from A to C in order to get to B: paddles

Personally, I love the paddles. They are different and the future. Which I love best, as noted above, depends on my mood.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    But the topic was "Fun" not "Fast" and I answered as such.

12. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    so i quoted in the stick will be more rewarding (lots of satisfy and fun) if you do everthing right in the stick. sometimes fun means fast, don't you agree.. no offence here..

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The stick is just part of communing with the car.

I, personally, don't see why non-track cars remain strictly manual. I can see why track cars would benefit from the F1.

I, personally, will never buy an F1--not because there is anything wrong with it, not because its faster, and not because it might break down. I just happen to like rowing the gear box and working the clutch.

14. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Well put.
    I'm in the same camp.

I know many take it as a personal slam when you might say "not for me, thanks".
    I too just like the extra bit of fun "rowing". And no, I don't plan on setting any speed records around a track otherwise I might consider an F1.

15. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I bought a stick shift.

The reason was that I just love the way it looks in the car.

I have driven both and on a track there is something to say for both. The paddles are probably faster but not much. The control and shifting into corners is certainly a plus. So on a track it will have a slight advantage.

On the road and driven fast it is probably equal. However when you do not want to drive your car in anger the stickshift is easier to cruise. Driving in busy traffic I think the stick is more comfortable.

Personally I enjoy the control and the skill to shift properly. The feel and sound add value to the experience. However the development is progressing very quickly and shift times in a 430Scuderia are so fast that it will show on track.

So i think it depends on what car you buy. A CS or Scud is not a choice anyway but a Spider where the experience is a mix would be good in both versions.

What i thought interresting was following. Lamborghini asked its test driver what car he wanted for his 40 years with the company. He specified a rear wheel drive (!) with steel brakes and manual gearchange. He could have choosen any combination.

I would be happy with both and sure if I had choosen the flippers I would love it just as much.

16. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I used to be a Manual guy...
    But now I'm converted.

Paddles!!!

17. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    The F1 in my F430 is the best feature of the car! It truely makes it special.

18. Speedy2081

Speedy2081 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2009
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    3 pedals for me

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Gotta row through the gate.

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think those of us who are really proficient with a stick and can consistently perform smooth heel and toe downshifts find that doing so is fun and satisfying. Also, we tend to find that in sports cars with paddles, there really isn't much to do. Others find it a chore. IMO, the joy of operating a sports car or race car comes from operation of 4 systems. 1. steering 2. throttle 3. brakes 4. transmission. We now have computers already helping out with the throttle and brakes. I would just as soon operate the tranny myself.

Dave

21. PogueMoHone

PogueMoHone Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Even Ferrari has abandoned the F-1 as we know it and gone to dual clutch... so the answer must be ....Stick!

22. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Three pedals all the way !!

Regards,

Stew

p.s. Except for PAP. Down under the pedals are backwards. The steering wheel is on the wrong side. The cars drive on the wrong side of the road.

But the women are amazing !
    I guess it all works out ;)

Regards,

Stew

23. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    I have driven the dual Clutch of the Califonia, which is far worse than the 430's F1, I will see hows the 458 doing and may be it is a better system than the california.

24. SteveBalance

SteveBalance Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I am in the position to buy a true sports car / exotic, I will only buy stick. Even if that means abandoning Ferrari or any other brand that I was previously loyal to if they no longer offer stick.

In street driving, milliseconds don't matter. Fun matters. :)

25. SteveBalance

SteveBalance Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is interesting - do you mind me asking why?

I've always thought people who chose paddles were either those who drove their cars competitively, those who didn't know how to / didn't like to drive stick, or those who bought a Fcar despite not being a true enthusiast.

The one thing I'll give paddles: the downshifts (mostly on the Scud/16M) sound great and are, of course, easy to achieve.