Michael Sheehan's Ferraris On-line | FerrariChat

Michael Sheehan's Ferraris On-line

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by markbnj, Oct 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markbnj

markbnj Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Has anyone had experience selling their car through Mike? Pardon my ignorance, but does he enjoy a good industry and business reputation? Thanks.

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#2 348SStb, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    <flame suit *on>

He enjoys various reputations.

He enjoys a reputation of being one of the old-guard Ferrari connoisseurs who sells great stuff and who knows his stuff. From a business standpoint, I think he enjoys a pretty bulletproof reputation.

He also enjoys a reputation of considering himself God's gift to the world.

Give him a call and see for yourself.

<flame suit *off>

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Your 550 should sell rather easily on its own.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Whether or not he effectively sells cars is what matters, eh?

Haven't dealt with him but every time I look at his site the listings have changed....

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Carbon now works for him.

I've never bought anything from him. I find his Articles interesting, his listing well done, and his prices realistic.

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In my opinion, and I have been following his listings for years, is that man can sell Ferraris.
    However, his articles ABOUT Ferraris draws some criticism…

7. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    In my dealings, I have always found him to be an honest and straight-to-the-point type of person.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mark, I'm glad to see that you're doing your due diligence.

Dave, I'm from New York thought I don't think we've ever met. Mike's been in this business for thirty years. When he was a teenager, he moved from his blue collar Canadian roots to southern California, and used his mechanical know-how to buy dilapidated VWs, fix them up and then sell them. Enough of that built up the Ferrari and real estate empire that is now his bread and butter.

Everyday the phone rings and the caller is from Australia or Germany or France of Japan. Almost always from Japan. Mike has made a name for himself over the last three decades. And, to be quite honest, you don't last that long by being, what was the word? Pompous.

If anyone has every had a less-than-stellar experience with Mike, it's because they called or e-mailed him with with a stupid question, like so: "Mike, I have a pristine 1987 Testarossa, books and tools, needs nothing, has all of the factory documentation, I'd like to sell it, for how much do you think you can sell it? I would like to net $110,000."

Mike gets 200+ e-mails a day and the calls aren't that far behind. Mike is inundated with questions that don't pertain to sales. Questions like how to fix a loose part in an interior or an engine bay. These are tasks for which we're not paid. But Mike obligingly acquiesces to these queries knowing these inquirers could same be subscribers and/or buyers.

Some people made no bones about their trepedation of me moving out here to work for Mr. Sheehan. Likewise, Mike's inbox was cluttered with same about me. But we work very well together. To manic depressive anoraks who have no time for the depressive part. Everyday is very busy with nonstop work, and every spare minute is crammed with laughter and fun. I'm having a great time and I'm learning a lot from a business-oriented
    man who has been doing this literally before I was born.

I'm sorry that some of you experienced poor service - for whatever reason - I'm not pointing fingers, I'm not making excuses. Call me at the office, 949.646.6086, or e-mail me carbon#ferraris-online, and we'll rectify the situation.

As Dave said, Mike's inventory is a revolving door. The Zagato will sell; the red Maranello is gone; the pristine yellow Dino? Done. Two Daytonas have gone, through here faster than the 24 Hours of Daytona. In an economy that's regarded as cripppled our proverbial motor skill are high functioning. A long list of satisied buying and selling clientele can attest to these facts.

Everything I said is biased because I work for the man. But look at some of the other comments; look at his duration in this business. He doesn't move from place to place. He's bee right here this whole time. Everyone is criticized for everything that they do. If Mike didn't get criticism from some people, he'd be too watered down to correctly get the job done.

We are open to any questions and/or comments that you may have. Please contact us at your convenience. Thank you.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #9 henryr, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    if you need him to move that NICE 550 than we are all in a world of hurt......

10. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Sheehan can be taken with disdain by some because he simply removes delusion and fantasy from Ferrari ownership. He is straight-up and honest, qualities that I hold in highest regard.

He's done this for decades and tells it like it really is, not as others fantasize about. He has seen it all. If a given Ferrari is just a "used car," then he will just tell you. No romanticism about it.

Subsequently, some owners like to live in a fantasy world about their chosen Ferrari, some of which will never be collectible cars by any means. Sure, we all love our Ferraris, from 348s to Enzos, but they must be seen for what they are. Sheehan does that well.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Carbon,

Congratulations and good luck in your new position with Michael Sheehan.

I think YOU should buy this Maranello! ;)

Barry

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Don't say the word "Valeo" around him !!

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Barry...! I'm really enjoying SoCal so far, and working with Mike is a lot of fun.

If I buy any Ferrari outside of an Enzo, it'll be the 456 Cabriolet that we have for sale. I want that like it's nobody's business.

Hank you should bring it down here and let him drive it. There's really only one way to change someone's mind. :)

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Carbon,

Congratulations on your new job!

I don't see the 456 cab that you mentioned, on Sheehan's web site

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Gary! It's being serviced as I type this. It will be announced later week. Are you a subscriber? It's free. Subscribers receive updates before they show up on Mike's Website. If you want to subscribe, simply go here.

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I will share my small anecdote...

A few years about I owned a Norwood 308/288 GTO conversion which I was considering in selling... Pricing was certainly a challenge considering the unique (and negative provenance to the purist). Even though it had little to do with the high line cars that he typically sells, I decided to call Michael and ask him. He was very generous with his time, gave me some good reference points and wished me luck - he didn't talk down to me which is far more than what I got the few times I have gone to a dealer (even with my "normal" Ferraris). He even followed up with me a few weeks later to see if I had any success. Overall a great professional that knows his business - wish there were more like him!

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I find Mikes postings [won't say where :D ] quite good.

Hank: [dare I hijack] why...his opinions are not far off. even though I like the Valeo

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I had my eye on a 550 on Mike's website in 2007 and made serious enquiries (note: plural) and got ignored until I got a bit irate.

Mike then got back to me, was apologetic, mentioned some family issues as the cause and tried to trace the owner but apparently he'd gone with the wind or something. In the end I didn't feel like it was treated as a proper deal with real money on the table.

Carbon's suggestion that silly questions get ignored is, I am sure, quite right, but in this case proper ones did too. I am sure that Sheehan's reputation is well-deserved and I'm sure I was just someone to fall between the cracks, but I do think it's fair to highlight a case where it didn't go perfectly. Just shows the fact that we're dealing with humans.

Onno

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I bought my Boxer from Mike-- straightforward, no issues. If he had a car I was interested in, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

Carbon, congrats on the new job! Sounds like fun.

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Onno...

I'm sorry that your experience with Ferraris Online was less than exemplary. We have all issues with which we must deal. When Mike leaves the office for a day, he returns with 400 e-mails instead of 200. Mike works seven days a week. and a three-day weekend - for business or pleasure - will set him back a week or more. After cancer and hand and eye surgery, he has skipped racing and events like Monterey in an event to get caught up on business. He write columns for both Sports Car Market and FORZA and the responses to those columns contribute to the usurpation of his time.

Thanks, Don!

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Carbon - Nice to see somebody doing what they love. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

22. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I've got nothing but good things to say about Mike. Over the years I've asked him some questions via email and he has been gracious with his time and expertise. He then puts you on a special email list where you see the most recent car listings a few days before they become public on his website. Nice.

I have not bought a car from him or had one sold by him, but given my previous experience with him, I would think he'd be a straight-shooter on both sides of a deal.

Now, as far as Carbon, that is a different story! :) Just kidding. Carbon is one of the biggest Ferrari fans/nuts I've met and I can't think of a better job assignment for him than being at the epicenter of the Ferrari marketplace. This could be good. Somehow I suspect Carbon will find a way to inject his journalistic flair into this job situation. Carbon, have started a blog or something else we could read since you've taken this job?

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Toggie...

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to speak with the higher-ups about a daily introspection into the life and times of Ferraris Online.

24. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have been a Fcar owner for over 30 yrs and have dealt with the good and not so good in acquisitions and sales. I would have to say that Mike is a very straight shooter. He knows the cars, their realistic values, service issues and related costs. I bought my GTC through him. I knew the the good and the warts and what my long term ownership commitment would be before I pulled the trigger.

One thing no one has mentioned is his very deep list of customers. If you want proper exposure for your sale Mike has this covered. As we all know in sales....marketing is key.

Just to be clear I have no affiliation nor any benefit to arise from dealings with Mike. I am just posting my thoughts about the guy and his business. He knows his stuff.

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Didn't Mike behead 30 Daytona coupes in his prime?
    CH