Kimi tells the reason why his contract with Ferrari was terminated | FerrariChat

Kimi tells the reason why his contract with Ferrari was terminated

Discussion in 'F1' started by aquapuss, Oct 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/f1/2009/10/965589

From his interview with MTV3 at Suzuka. Only the most relevant bits are translated:

- Very few actually know what has happened. There really aren’t that many. It is assumed that I have done something wrong because the contract was terminated.

- There is one big reason why it ended and it has nothing to do with my driving or with my activities within the team or outside of it. It is a totally different reason.

Is it related to Santander bank becoming a Ferrari sponsor and the bank’s desire to get Fernando Alonso as a driver?

- That could be. There are no contracts in existence that cannot be terminated with money. That happens sometimes. It does not change my life in any way. My affairs are in a great shape. Hopefully we’ll get a good alternative for next year and I’m sure we will too. I have no worries about it at all.

2. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    MONEY! But he's not warped, and he's walking away with some serious dough!!!

3. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    I don't believe anyone truly thinks changing out Kimi for any driver will bring a championship...Drivers don't win championships, TEAMS do.
    I'd like to see the demographics and projections from Ferrari's marketing department. I'm sure they are looking at the income.
    The question again comes down to BUSSINESS...Who makes more for Ferrari?...Kimi with championship or Alonso with none?
    My guess is Alonso with none.

4. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    "Kimi tells the reason why his contract with Ferrari was terminated"

Or perhaps he doesn't! ;)

5. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Pretty safe to say that Kimi will never be confused with John Force....

6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Uhh, you sure about that?

Renault would not have won the WDC in '05 and '06 without Alonso.

Ferrari would NOT have been nearly as successful without Schumacher.

Drivers are just as important to the equation as the team is.

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The team produces the car. If it's a great car they will win 15 out of 16 races or what ever the number is in a season. The car comes first and then the driver. JV was resented for becoming the WDC in a great car. The car was perceived to be better than his driving talent. Anybody with some talent can win in a great car or as the Captain would call it 'the unfair advantage'. It obviously helps if everyone is pulling in the same direction with a star driver but the car will make or break the title chances.
    CH

8. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    No question, but to think someone is going to drive the car fast enough to make a losing team a winning team is not realistic. If Ferrari were on the edge of winning the title, I might agree, but the team is in need of more then just a good driver.

9. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    +1,000,000,000

10. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Agreed.

11. dusk

dusk Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The Scuderia might surprise you next season, they stopped development on this years car some time ago and are concentrating all efforts on next year.

12. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    +2,000,000,000

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Almost every major transition at Ferrari is smoothed over like it's no big deal. It seems pretty clear here that F decided to cut their losses with Kimi. He's just trying to spin it to try and protect himself for the next team willing to throw money at him. I'd be curious to know when he knew that he'd be axed? This contract negotiation isn't something that was happening over night.

14. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    he knew when they signed FA a long time ago, for 2011. Santander money just made the switch sooner rather than later..

15. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Was that quote from the Captain or the (late great) Mark Donohue?

I do know Marks book of the same name is a *great* read btw.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not according to this post:

From: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259690

Cheers,
    Ian

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #17 LightGuy, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Yep.
    So it was Kimi or Massa exiting.
    I'm sure Kimi is shocked. Ice or no ice.
    He can either use this to come back strong and "show them" or it popped his balloon.

18. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    I'm sure Kimi is relieved and due to speculations stating that FA to Ferrari have been known since last July, I'm sure this is no surprise at all. Kimi just never fit in with the "passion" and "outgoing vibrant character" that is so important to Ferrari. He'll be magic again at a team like Mac.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I think they'd rather have a win.
    They can spin his iciness.

20. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Judging by the teams decisions over the last couple years...definitely disagree. ;)

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #21 TheMayor, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    +1 For some unknown reason Luca likes Massa a lot. Kimi for sure did something wrong but it may well be that he just does not talk much at Ferrari parties ;)

Being out scored by Masss last year certainly didn't help either.

23. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    I'm not sure why this is even controversial if people read the news clippings posted on sites like F1-Live, and usually repeated here. Ferrari has stated that they had no problem with their Kimi experience and were going to honor his contract through next year until the latest experiences at Renault, which made Alonso available for 2010. They clearly didn't want to take a chance of Alonso signing a multi-year contract with someone else. They have identified two differences between Alonso and Kimi, those of long term commitment to the sport, and leadership qualities, i.e. Kimi's poor communications skills, which are well known and posted about to no end on this forum. No hidden agendas are necessary for Ferrari to make the decisions it did. And, Kimi gets a nice payoff from Ferrari and a new contract with a top car for next year and hopefully makes a bundle. The fans even win. Being to compare Kimi with Hamilton in the same car (if that happens) and Alonso with Massa will be fun and exciting.
    As far as the importance of the driver vs the car go, the driver is important in helping to develop the car, set up the car, and stay in touch with what is happening with the car during the race, all over and above pure driving speed, both qualifying and racing. When a car has a clear advantage over its competitors, the driver skills are less critical, but crutial when the cars are closely matched. Just looked at result differences between team members when the drivering skills aren't equal, such as McLaren and Renault right now.

24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

YES! :D

Totally agree on the importance of the driver as a crucial part of the development process.

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Glad he is gone, compared to Massa he really hasnt showed much passion for the team or its supporters, yes he did bring a WDC but in reality he was out classed by Massa.

Now to see how Alonso fits in.....