348 flywheel nut help | FerrariChat

348 flywheel nut help

Discussion in '348/355' started by grigio tr, Oct 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grigio tr

grigio tr Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    east sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    mike
    removed pumpkin to replace clutch,triple seals and regrease flywheel etc and found the ring nut holding the flywheel has been butchered by a previous mechanic making it difficult for the hills engineering tool to make a good fit,it looks like its been attacked with a hammer and chisel!! My dilema is (knowing how tight they can be) do i risk damaging my ring nut tool in a possible ill fated removal attempt with impact gun or go straight in with an air chisel and hope for the best? Anyone else had same experience and / or any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Never done the job but the risks seems to be fairly clear.

Risk damaging a tool or risk damaging a shaft and flywheel.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    You may end up having to weld a hex nut, or perhaps a heavy duty socket, onto the damaged ring nut, in order to remove the ring nut with a conventional socket and an impact wrench, or a breaker bar. Sounds like you need a new ring nut anyway. Good luck with it, don't do anything to bung up the threads.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1!! Either flog the **** out of it with a chisel and hammer to get it off..............or weld another nut onto it and get if off that way. :D:D

You will need a new nut either way. ;);)

5. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    I bought the Hill ring nut tool, and my 2cents are that it seems to be made of extremely hard material, so I think the nut will give before the tool is really damaged. At least you could try the tool a bit and check before going further. Good luck :)

6. grigio tr

grigio tr Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    east sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    mike
    Thanks for the advice guys,i've got a new ring nut from hills in readyness.Will be doing this
    in a friends workshop within the next few days.The sharp edges of the damaged ringnut have started to wear the 4 pins in the ring nut tool ever so slightly so i know i could be heading for disaster,might just go for it anyway first and order another tool if i wreck it,the idea of welding an old socket / hex nut onto the ring nut first sounds like a good plan!
    Will post up details of how it goes later..

the mechanic who had this all apart before wants shooting,not only was the ring nut damaged,the pumpkin wasnt seated on the gearbox correctly due to one of the dowels being crushed when it was put back together! there was around 1mm gap halfway round between pumpkin and gearbox!!..explains the slightly uneven wear on the clutch plates!

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

WHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

That mechanic needs rooting!! :mad::mad:

8. grigio tr

grigio tr Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    east sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    mike
    If i find out who it is i will name and shame :)

all this bother because of the small issue of not wanting to start very easily when warm!

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I hope so! ;);)

10. grigio tr

grigio tr Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    east sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    mike
    #10 grigio tr, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    took your advice Pap and went for it with large hammer and chisel! after some swearing,blood,sweat and tears it came off!,,amazingly i didnt do any further damage even to the ring nut!

the ring nut was in this condition when i removed the cover on the pumpkin!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. grigio tr

grigio tr Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    east sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    mike
    Many thanks for your quick replies in helping me out guys,im happy now since my flywheel assembly is in one piece still and not broken.Just waiting for the grease and triple seals to arrive on my doorstep so i can carry on.

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow! That nut was VERY beat up! :p:p

Looks like it was chiseled off many times before?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Man there are some rough ****s out there! :p:p

Good man! Have fun! :):)