Mclaren-BMW | FerrariChat

Mclaren-BMW

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Oct 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The hottest rumour at the Suzuka circuit on Saturday is that McLaren is contemplating splitting completely with Mercedes at the end of the season.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that the Woking-based team's plan, masterminded by chairman and former team boss Ron Dennis, is to buy BMW's Formula One engine division from the withdrawing German carmaker in order to go it alone as an independent chassis and engine constructor.

The move would clear the path for Mercedes to completely concentrate on its intensifying partnership with Brawn.

McLaren has an engine supply contract with equity partner Mercedes for two more seasons, but Dennis is believed to be confident that - as with his new MP4-12C road car project - the outfit can manage without the Stuttgart based manufacturer.

Auto Motor und Sport said BMW would be interested in selling its F1 engine programme for the right price, and that Dennis may already have made enquiries with the marque's Munich headquarters.

It is also rumoured that McLaren's existing Bahraini investors might bolster their involvement in order to support the new independent engine programme.

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh has however denied the rumours. "We have no plans to buy BMW's engines,” he said.

2. ms.gto

ms.gto Formula Junior

May 17, 2008
    Mornington Peninsula
    Full Name:
    andrew tregurtha
    "We have no plans to buy BMW's engines,” he said.[/QUOTE]

Great scoop !! Martin is not saying they wont "use" BMW... I'm concerned that F1 was becoming a 3 engine series ( Ferrari, Renault, Benz)..

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Uh...doesn't MB own like 40% of McLaren? Somehow I doubt they would just allow BMW in like that...

4. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    They might want to sell that 40%. In any case 40% isn't a majority, if the people who own the 60% want BMW engines that's what will happen, subject to contract issues being resolved.

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What BMW engines?
    A McLaren-Ferrari is more likely to happen;)

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Even if Ron (15% holdings) along with Mansour Ojjeh (15%) wanted the engines, they couldn't do it if they do vote. They'd need Bahrain to agree with BMW engines (30%).

7. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    Highly unlikely IMO, but stranger things have happened.

8. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Now that the Alonso thing is done, poor medias are trying to find new stories ^^

Anything can happen in f1, but a bmw engine in a mercedes, i don't know about that.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    WHY would they even consider the BMW engines. They're the worst of all the engines currently in F1. Not the best power, incredibly unreliable...just terrible.

If they do get them I hope Kimi won't be driving for Mclaren. It'll be his 2002-2006 all over again.

10. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    Now that would be really cool. I wonder what Mercedes and Mclaren could possibly be fighting about?

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Boss Hawg probably wants a bigger piece of the pie.

But as someone said, what BMW engines?

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you.
    A small detail that others have over looked.
    Unless something has changed BMW won't be making engines next year.

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes and no not overlooked, thats why Merc are investing in Brawn in around about way for now, so they can have Rosberg (german) driving for them.

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes Steven I get that part. What I don't get is the speculation about a McLaren-BMW.

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well no its a new one on me, can't see it happening as yet but who knows what the future holds.

16. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    The rumour appears to be that McLaren is interested in buying the BMW engine manufacturing facility. If true you are correct, BMW won't be making engines next year, they'll be McLaren engines. ;) It could be a good move for McLaren who would no longer be reliant on a 3rd party engine supplier.

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I think it would be a great move, especially considering they are going to also be producing their own engine for the MP4-12C. Cheers to Ron Dennis, hopefully if the Umpa Lumpa Todt does not win the FIA Presidency, we can see RD in the pits again once in a while.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ah, Dawn breaks over Marblehead as we say around here.
    Given the BMW engine in the McLaren F1 road car there is precedence I guess. They could get added use out of the facility by making motors for their new road cars.
    Thanks Ian

19. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Let me say this . . . I can't imagine that there is not something in a contract that requires Merc engines. It would be serious malpractice for a lawyer to fail to insist that a team with a Mercedes badge would use anything but a Merc engine.

Forget the 40%, I bet it is 100% in the contract to use the Merc engine.

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes but Mac can make an offer to buy its way out of the benz contract and install its own engines...doubt it will happen however.

21. ms.gto

ms.gto Formula Junior

May 17, 2008
    Mornington Peninsula
    Full Name:
    andrew tregurtha
    Great Point... I can see an engine re badge

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Actually it makes alot of sense. With Mercedes buying into Brawn, a seperation of McLaren-Mercedes is not a stretch. Especially since they have seperated their road car development after the SLR ran it's course. As someone else pointed out, the new McLaren road does not have an M-B motor....good move by McLaren if it's true...

23. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    If this happens the Mercedes badge will not be on the car, it will be replaced by a McLaren badge :D

24. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    If McLaren goes through with it for sure Merc will sell their stake.