Time for my first car. | FerrariChat

Time for my first car.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Element9T8, Oct 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Element9T8

Element9T8 Karting

Apr 27, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John Alters
    I'm a 16 year old car enthusiast and I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion for what car I could purchase for $15,000 or less. I've been looking at used M3's, R32's, and WRX's. I'm looking for sports cars, something along the lines of those 3 models. If you have any suggestions for me, please share. Thanks :)

2. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    first car? I would highly recommend something reliable, economical and something you will not mind learning in (bumps, scratches, etc). I would save your money and just drop $4-7k on a used car.

Not trying to flame on you or act like some old man, but I would not suggest a sports car to a 16 yr old for their first car. Tickets are too expensive and experience behind the wheel on a great daily driver will be priceless.

3. 360RossoFiorano

360RossoFiorano Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2006
    Palmetto Bay, FL
    Agreed, my first vehicle was a ford ranger. Cheap to maintain and at that time the cheap on the gas too.

SH*T, this was only 12 years ago. I'm getting old....

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like an R32 if you can find a good one in that price range. It would probably be wiser to get something slow while learning, but if you are a responsible teenager I don't see the problem with the cars you listed. While the Euro cars have more style, I would look into a good used Honda Civic Si. The 8th gen Si is really nice, and very reliable. See if anything you are buying might have some warranty time left. Parts for any of these cars are very expensive.
    Good luck, the buying experience should be fun!
    :)
    BT

5. Element9T8

Element9T8 Karting

Apr 27, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John Alters
    I am responsible and I fully understand that I should learn more about driving before I buy something with too much hp's. My plan was to get one of those cars and to gradually tune them (over a time period of a couple years) or just wait and buy another car later on. I don't plan on street racing or any of that stupid stuff. I just want a fast, sporty car that would feel good driving. I'm also looking into to signing up for driving courses to learn how it (whatever car I get) handles and learning more about the car to familiarize myself.

6. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Go get a nice used Honda for $10k, and put the other $5k into the bank or investments. You'll thank me in 20 years.

7. eam3

eam3 Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Ed Mendez
    Like others have said, go with something cheap and reliable. Learn to make the most out of it in autocrosses and driving schools and then move up, as finances allow, to something with more power.

8. RedTanF430

RedTanF430 Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My first car was a hand-me-down from my mother. A Buick Sylark Grand Sport with 400hp. Considered a very fast car for its day. It was Buick's answer to the Pontiac GTO. Big mistake! I totalled it within 3 months purely due to lack of experience.
    Get a good, reliable, safe car at first to get experience. There will be plenty of time to get what you want.

9. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    idle hands are the devil's playground in a fast car....

listen to everyone here, get a nice used car thats good on gas.. Dont MOD the heck out of it just drive it till you save up.

then when your 19-21 you can go out and get something nicer.

good luck.

10. RedTanF430

RedTanF430 Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Damn! I have become my father. LOL

11. Element9T8

Element9T8 Karting

Apr 27, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John Alters
    Thanks guys. I really do appreciate the advice and I know you guys know what you're talking about since you've already been 16 and have more experience than I do. I didn't plan on making it crazy fast, I should have used another word instead of "tuned" because I meant more along the lines of adding accessories such as carbon fiber. I'm still looking for something sporty because that's just my taste and I have found some WRX's for >10K that would be a possibility. Hopefully I'll make the right decisions.

12. Element9T8

Element9T8 Karting

Apr 27, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John Alters
    My bad. I forgot to include you in that reply I just posted. I also meant to thank you for the advice.

13. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was 31 years old the first time I spent $15,000 on a car. There is so much out there for way less that will meet your needs. Even something you can tune. Put your savings in a Ferrari fund if that makes it easier.

Scott

14. Kevins93cobra

Kevins93cobra Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    agreed.

15. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would also recommend saving your money from moding cars until you can afford to buy a "great" car that is fast out of the box and off the show room floor. Otherwise, any mod you put on the car, you will never get the value back out of it if you want to sell it. Just my .02 I have had too many friends and brothers spend so much money on trying to make a civic/integra fast then they could have saved their money up and bought a nsx, supra, skyline, s2k, etc....course the only down side, the more you spend upfront, the less you may have to "invest" in your car. I have had my nsx for 5 years and unfortunately, Ive never had the pleasure of investing the money into it for performance or braking, etc...I have had just enough money to keep it running at my manual recommends...

16. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    So true! I'm 21 and my first two cars have been "fun": a turbocharged Volvo (which may not seem like much, but it had 222 horsepower - about the same as the WRX had when I got it) and now an Audi A4. Recently as the A4 begins to have problems and lose value, and as I drive less and care less about performance, all I want is a nice reliable Honda - and more cash!

But, my advice is, if you've got $15k and you're 16 you might as well get an M3 or WRX or whatever makes you happy. People on these forums have good perspective, but they didn't attain it by listening to cautious tales from adults when they were growing up... they learned through experience, and you should too.

17. Element9T8

Element9T8 Karting

Apr 27, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John Alters
    I agree and I'm glad I posted this thread because all of this great advice (and I really do mean that) has made me think about buying a less expensive car. I think I'll probably settle for a WRX that's less than $10K and I'll be fine with learning from my mistakes. I also like the idea of a "Ferrari Fund" that Scott suggested.

18. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    wrx is nice cars with great handling and performance.

19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Hmmm.....allot of "old folks" on this board. :D

There is a time for saving for the future and a time for some fun. This is your first car....so have some fun with it.

How about an older Porsche. For about 10K or less, you can buy an 86-88 944 Turbo. Forget the "fast and furious" boxes. A Porsche is a truly great sports car with great handling and reliability. Forget a 911....out of the price range for a 84 + carrera series. You might even think of a normal 944 or 944S...very cheap, reliable and fun cars. I had a few when I was a kid.....fond memories......the Maserati....not so fond. :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

20. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Agreed.

Spend like 5k on a super reliable honda and invest the money on your future ferrari.

Don't be like me and buy something cool like a camaro or firebird or else you'll be spending much more than you thought you where going to.

21. Element9T8

Element9T8 Karting

Apr 27, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John Alters
    Honda's really aren't my style (unless you're talking about an S2000) so I don't think I'm going to get a Honda.

22. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    How about a Mazda Miata, fun sports car, and reliable at the same time.
    They're used alot in club racing.

23. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    I have a learners licence but I don't ahve my own car, but I see too often teenager I know getting into sports cars as a first car when they turn 18 and its not a good idea. Even if your parents or you have the money to spend on a sports car with insurance, gas ect, to have a sports car when your young is a weapon for you and other people around you. A good friend of mine crashed into a small-medium tree (thank God), with his new Nissan 370Z within the first months of owning the car. He took a turn late at night going too fast and lost control of the car and almost totaled the car.

My friends first car was a nice white 1996 Mazda Miata, very fun car to drive and ride in. He said gas milage wasn't the best because it was stick shift, but it has been reliable all these years.

24. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    with a 15k budget i'd buy a little pickup and a go kart and go racing.

25. Element9T8

Element9T8 Karting

Apr 27, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John Alters
    I did consider a Miata but then considered that it's a soft top and it's too small to protect me but thanks for the thought.