Lost Keys - Can Dealer Help??!! | FerrariChat

Lost Keys - Can Dealer Help??!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 76Steel, Oct 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi everyone,

I seriously mis-placed the key to my daily driver ('96 Jag XJ6). This is the only key/ plus remote that I have. Obviously I'm stuck and can not drive.

I'll call the dealer in the AM, but does anyone know if there is a light at the end of the tunnel?
    Kind thanks,
    Mike

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#2 Kds, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Yep..........your choices probably look like this......

1-Supply VIN, proof of ownership and picture ID.....dealer orders keys and remotes.
    2-Perform above and dealer orders lock cylinder for door and/or ignition along with key/s and remotes.
    3-Perform above and dealer has no choice but to order complete lock cylinder set for car (doors, trunk, glovebox, etc) with remotes and keys.

ETA ?? Well it was always a few weeks for the MB's and Porsches I have had to do this for with option #1 because someone in Germany had to cut the key by hand to the specific code from the VIN.......options 2 and 3 are usually sitting on a warehouse shelf somewhere ready to be shipped out in 24 hours, but 5X or 10X the price of option 1, plus labor to R+R and a flatdeck to get it to the dealer.

4-Find a Jag dismantler who can sell you the lock cylinders/keys as long as the remote is not tied in to the ignition system and FEDEX the stuff to you.
    5-Some really, really, good locksmiths can cut a blank OEM key from measuring the inside of the lock cylinder grooves and various bumps on the blade. Did that a couple of times back in the early 90's.......may be a lost art by now.......I don't know.

3. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. I'll cal the dealer in the morning to see the options then I guess. ;-()

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    What does the key on a 1996 Jaguar look like? Is it cut or milled? Is there a key code number listed in your owners handbook? If there is, the dealer should be able to cut you a new key in their own parts department if you provide proof of ownership.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#5 Kds, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    IIRC that era of Jag keys are those funky milled keys similar to 928 keys.

Jeff has a good point and I was wondering why I didn't mention then it hit me........been about 10 years since I have seen a dealer actually offer to cut a key for me. I hope you get lucky !!

6. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Iirc jag keys from that era are round, the 'blade' looks like a cylinder.

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Bingo.......that's it.......round with blades on the end.

8. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Guys:

Yes, the keys are round with blades.

Success here! I went to a Jaguar Dealer in Madison, NJ (Beautiful facility and pleasant people) and upon giving them my registration and driver's licence - they cut me a new Jaguar key on the spot. It worked!

I think it was easy as my older Jag does not have any chips in the key.

I'm still missing the remote/ key fab - but I'll see if it turns up in case I find my original key. I can always get one on e-bay for about $50. A lot cheaper then the dealer price of $290 ;-)

Overall - I'm back in action - Less $67 dollars for the new key.

Thanks for the thoughts and input!

Mike.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Who is going to program the $50 remote for you?

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

You lucky dog.........good for you !!!!

I take it then the remote is just for the door's and is not attached to the engine management system. You can live without that.......

11. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah I'm lucky, ha, ha. Yeah the remote is Open/ Close Door/ Panic Button. I'll deal with it.

Thanks again guys! I was freaking out last night as I was not sure what could be done with this ;-)

12. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    Did you get a spare key while you were there?

13. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I did not. With little luck, I'll find my misplaced keys - I'll give it a few days.

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

No you won't.....see....you only bought one key. If you had bought a couple of remotes and a full set of 3-4 keys your lost keys would reappear within 48 hours.

;)

15. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know. I might pretend like I'm going to get another set and see if the lost keys turn up ;-)).

I was thinking of trading the Jag in and now I realize that I have a nice car bought for almost nothing - I'm keeping it. Maybe the Jag was trying to hold me back by loosing its keys .... you know, this stuff happens. When she's done being up-set with me, she'll return the keys.