I like paying $24/year to register my car | FerrariChat

I like paying $24/year to register my car

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, Oct 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That is what is nice about registering a car with no lien or bill of sale involved.

The gal at DMV spent 20 minutes looking in old Kelly blue books and other valuation manuals to try and figure out what my car was worth for tax purposes. After not finding anything on the car, she just had to charge me the minimum rate like they do on any other 30 year old car. :)

Doug

2. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn

Shhhhhh!

3. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Must be nice...it's $500 to register my 328 in effing CA.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That's exactly the way it would have worked at the California DMV except the money and the time and number of required trips would be multiplied by 12.

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #5 Jedi, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    $4300 here in WA state in March 2008 - have receipt if anyone doubts this.

Arghhh.... DO NOT MOVE HERE

Jedi

6. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Holy smokes, $4300 for your 328? My 308 was only $88.

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    9.0% State Sales Tax plus 'normal' fees. Yeah - it sucks. DO NOT MOVE TO
    WASHINGTON STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (At least not with an expensive car)

Jedi

8. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Ah yes, gotta love that WA sales tax. My $88 was just for renewal. Yours won't be nearly as bad next year.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh, heavens no. It is around $75 a year NOW (plus 'train tax'). But just few years ago, in WA State,
    you had to pay the full sales tax EACH YEAR on the 'value' of the car. Thank God
    (and Republicans) that THAT law has been rescinded.

Jedi

10. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Train tax -- you must be in the United States of King County.

11. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Yeah, I don't live there anymore....

Little story:

back in '84 when I bought my car from a private party, I paid $20K for it.

I took out a loan, and when the time for us to both go to the bank, the seller says he is going to tell the state he sold the car for $18K. I suspect to avoid paying a capital gain on it.

I told him that I wanted to tell the bank i was buying it for $25K, as the bank wanted a 20% down payment as they would only finance 80% of the purchase price, and I didn't want to deplete my savings that much.

Well, we ended up doing that, with me handing the guy $5K in front of the bank officer, signing the papers and him handing me the $5K back again in the parking lot. (this took some trust, but he owned a business and I knew where he lived....). So, anyway, all said and done, I paid $20K for the car and sales tax on $25K.

Well, about 6 months later, I got a letter from dear old CA saying they were doing a random survey (yeah, right), and wanted to verify how much I paid for the car.

Knowing exactly what CA was up to, I called the previous owner and told him about the letter. He said he was going to swear up and down he sold it for $18K.

I figured I needed to get rid of the state , and not bring attention to the the bank that the fact that the loan wasn't exactly fraudulent, but it was somewhat deceptive.

So, I wrote a letter back to whatever state tax agency sent me this letter, telling them that the owner sold the car for $18K, but the loan was for $25K as the car needed $7K worth of repairs, and it was worth it to me to pay the extra sales tax on the loan to get the repairs done, even though I also paid sales tax on the repairs,and I was just not going to worry about the extra tax I paid, but since they brought the subject up, what don't you guys refund me the extra $600 I paid on sales tax that I didn't need to, and sent off the letter, figuring I would never hear from them again.

About 6 weeks later they sent me a check for $600.

25 years have passed, they can't come after me now. :)

Doug

12. BAturb

BAturb Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have to pay $580 per year for the Mondial, this is the same for all V8 powered cars, but for my work car (ute), classed as a comercial vehicle try $950 per year, most of the cost is for 3rd party insurance

13. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Insurance is pretty cheap, costs me $238/year for full coverage, 300/100 liability and comp and collision and un/underinsured motorist with a $30K valuation on the car. This is through JC Taylor collector car insurance.

It wouldn't be that much more even with my regular insurance carrier, but the collector car insurance is a way to get out of having to meet smog testing requirements in AZ.

Doug

14. cessna

cessna Karting

Dec 4, 2008
    Malta
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grech
    Any ideas how much my goverment make me pay to register my Ferrari 328 GTB which I imported from another European Country (England).?

Answer:....Euros 33,000 plus an annual road license of Euros 685.

Next Friday got my third court hearing as I took the whole bunch to court.

15. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    my 308 with collector plates cost me 76 dollars in colorado - EVERY FIVE YEARS, thats about $15 per year for plates.

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    OK, I like paying ZERO each year to register my car. That's right folks ZERO!

In PA, if your car qualifies for classic status, you pay a one time $35.00 fee and you are done with it.

Now everyone move to the Philadelphia area so we can have the largest Cars and Coffee in the country :)

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Mine will be about $25 per year after this year. This year I had to pay the excise taxes on it, which was not fun, but could have been a lot worse.

I know for a fact in Belgium one of my friends had an F430 Scuderia and he had to pay at a minimum the 21.5% sales tax, THEN annually more than 5k Euros just for the tag. Thats something like more than $7,000 per year for a tag.

Definitely made me think twice before complaining about my own tag.

PDG

18. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    In PA, you can get a LIFETIME registration for $75! No inspections, EVER. Car must be over 30 years old.

19. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In California you can get a historical vehicle plate for $25(I think) for a 308, but supposedly you are only to drive the car in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic club activities. Does anyone know if they enforced this. Would driving the car a few hundred miles a year attract the attention of the law?

20. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Only problem with Philly is it is too close to NYC.

Doug

21. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #21 dave80gtsi, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    Historical license plate tags for a 25 year old Ohio car cost an additional one-time $10.00 upon initial application, just to buy the plates, and from that date onwards, no annual renewal is ever required.

Plus, a few Ohio counties do have annual emissions checks required (but most counties, including mine, don't require this), and Historic plates will exempt you from this requirement as well.

Under my roof I have 6 vehicles (5 cars + 1 motorcycle) and 3 of them are over 25 years old and thus cost me "nothing" to keep ( ... or so I tell the missus ...)

Cheers - DM

22. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn

Same thing here in Michigan. (But then, you would have to LIVE in Michigan)

23. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Typically, the states that allow for "collector" plates at highly reduced licensing rates allow the owner/driver to enjoy some reasonable amount of pleasure driving. In other words, you don't have to be only on your way to/from a car show. The one fairly universal rule here across the states is that you can't use the vehicle for regular commuting purposes (to and from your place of employment).

I saw a guy in WA state here just the other day driving a rusty early 70's Ford F150 pickup truck with a collector plate. The truck was full of landscaping tools and a load of bark and said "Three Amigos Landscaping" on the doors. I guess not all guys follow the rules.

24. ddiesen

ddiesen Karting

Apr 6, 2006
    Mesa Arizona
    Full Name:
    David Diesen
    #24 ddiesen, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    After dealing every year with the DMV and emissions in Phoenix Arizona I decided to register the car in Montana where I also have a residence. Changed my drivers license and paid $45 for a permanent plate. No more fees, no more taxes, no more emissions, just drive .......... :)

25. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Virginia seems reasonable at first. 3% sales tax at purchase. Around $30 per year for the registration. Then they hit you with the personal property tax! Nearly $1,000 per year for our 92 Mondial assessed at $35K by the state.