Massa's eye | FerrariChat

Massa's eye

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Oct 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #1 tifosi12, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is all in the eye of the beholder, but this does not look like a fully healed eye to me.

Picture from yesterday at Maranello

Will he ever be fit enough to drive F1 again?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ermmm not sure it will really depend if it still functions right.

I suppose he will have alot of work to do to build himself back to something like he was before the spring hit him, with alot of assessments ect.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Huh?

It depends 100% on his eye to function perfectly. A F1 driver with one damaged or slow eye won't be given safety clearance. The days of Andrea de Cesaris are long gone.

4. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    He is gonna know pretty quickly.

Looks a little lame to me.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well thats what I mean, if it is still is ok, as good as it was.

Drop me some more Beatles lines..;)

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm sure the bone fracture and muscles around it are not yet fully healed.

I suffered a similar but not so severe wound in that area that took several years...

And the deformation may be permanent, still the function of the vision is all that matters, not appearance, I'm sure he'll be at 100% before he's cleared to participate.

These are just publicity stills for the 458.......good to see him back at "the office"..

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My feeling is he was trying to get his seat back in time for the Brazilian GP. If he tries that, he might be permanently damaging himself.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #8 tifosi12, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    "You can talk to me. If you're lonely, you can talk to me."

Is it that obvious what I'm playing currently on my PS3? :)

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would tend to agree....I suffered minimal skull damage, and I felt it for TWO YEARS!

10. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Maybe he was just caught mid-wink.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is hard to say given the website resolution, but to me it also looks like it is slightly discolored, slightly red.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have one eye noticably dominant, and it's a common condition after a severe concussion....

Let the poor young man recover.....

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unless I'm mistaken (there's a first time for every thing) none of us are MDs and no reputable MD would make a diagnosis based on a photo any way. So let's put off the speculation until more facts are available.

Wait. I forgot. This is the internet. Never mind:)

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I seriously doubt he'll be back this season, if at all. When I was in high school I got hit in that exact spot with a baseball bat (get your jokes out of the way now). Cracked orbit, eye abrasions and a few stitches. But the worst part was the calcium deposit that formed right where you see his lump. Mine was nowhere near the size of his, but it still took a couple years to completely go away. I have to think the hit that Massa took did some tissue damage that affected his vision, at least temporarily.

But now that Alonso is signed, they don't need to manipulate his condition. Interesting that this photo came out now that his deal is inked.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #15 tifosi12, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    LOL

My dad was a MD and hated nothing more than "distant diagnosis" by me telling him symptoms. So yes, you're right on that one. But still the pic just doesn't look right to me and I was surprised to see this now after all these months and the cosmetic surgery.

I think the timing is more down to Fisi's poor performance in Japan and Brazil coming up next. Massa visited Maranello yesterday, hence the picture.

Now about you being hit by a baseball bat. That explains a few things...Let me also add that I have a skull fracture from a bicycle accident, so that might explain a few things as well.:)

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I'm certain your mom still feels awful about it, but it is in the past and I'll bet you always finish your brussels sprouts now.

17. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    That does not look good at all. The F60 blows more than my NFL team; let Fisi have his final few races...

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    ;)

Nah, now kids will only eat freedom sprouts. :p

(Spoiled Brats prefer Boiled Sprats. ;))

I mentioned a while back about watching calcium intake after a bone injury. I've had several bone spurs built up after chipping a bone -- including over my right eye (after walking into a door frame in the middle of the night).

19. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I sure hope the powers that be make sure Massa doesn't come back before he is ready, if ever. It's quite sad, but his eye function for the remainder of his life is far more important than a few races in a subpar Ferrari. :eek:

It would be especially bad if he got in another severe accident soon after his return. There would always be speculation that it was partly due to poor vision, which could very well be the case.

20. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    LOL! Yeah, mom had a way about her...

21. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I wouldnt worry too much. Vision tests are done very easily and they know exactly where he is at. Besides he can beat Alonso next year with a patch over his eye. ;)

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think it's just more less a scar. Remember, the spring hit his eyebrow area, not the eye. It's perhaps just a after surgery kind of a look i guess. BTWs, did he already had a plastic surgery done?

23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    He'll get tested by the docs, he'll get tested in a car. After that we will know if he is ok. No one would be barking enough to send him into a real race with a broken head and a squished eye ball. Let's keep the speculation in the realms of reality...

24. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Look at Niki...

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IIRC he's in maranello right now because sometime this week he's supposed to drive a GP2 car roun the fiorano...FIA gave clearance for him to do so.