360 CEL AIR FLOW LOW (CONSULTANTS PLEASE) | FerrariChat

360 CEL AIR FLOW LOW (CONSULTANTS PLEASE)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by speedmoore, Oct 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #1 speedmoore, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    I'm hoping another consultant can help out here.

We were delivering a 360 after a routine 15k service. Upon start up for test drive we encountered a CEL and found a stored Low Air Flow code with SD-2 on RH Bank.

Since we changed the air filters during the service it seemed plausible a piece of dirt contaminated the MAFs. We cleaned both with CRC MAF cleaner. Switched MAF's side to side in case error came back. In SD2 parameters air flow was around 20 kg3/m both sides with lowest at 19.3. Ferrari specs between 18-25 and within 5 side to side at idle. Everything looks fine but is reading the same as before cleaning too (no change). Decided to check coil connections (also did spark plugs for 15k). All looked good but cleaned with contact cleaner and Stabalant 22 and reinstalled. Cleared code with SD-2. Started up and ran half dozen times with no CEL and no error on SD-2. Went for 30 minute road test, came back, no CEL and no errors with SD-2. We figured we have it licked.....WTFWIT.

Customer arrived to pickup his car (after we told him we had encountered a MAF CEL). Customer starts car to go home, CEL comes on.

Further diagnosis while customer waiting. SD2 shows "stored" Lo Air Flow error (but not present). Check all connections at intake manifold, all vacuum lines, etc. tighten up the intake hoses at the manifolds to the throttle valves and MAF, measure the same air flow even though they felt loose at start. Clear code, install another different MAF and ran car to compare actual air flow values and no change in values still around proper specifications. No errors either. Start several more times and CEL reappears. SD-2 showed "stored" not a present code. Problem stayed on RH Bank. Perform reset of all adaptive values and reset of learned throttle drive by wire. Perform cycle test. Restart car, runs great, rev a few times and then idle, CEL back. Sent customer home without car (Friday about 6pm).

Back in shop over the weekend. Check signals at each MAF connector for anomolies (5 wires, Air Temp sensor, Battery V, Earth Ground from ECU, +5V from ECU, MAF Signal out to ECU). All within spec, MAF signal to ECU hovering around +1.5V at idle.

Back in shop Monday. Begin "Ground Sweep" on chassis. All grounds are very oxidized with a good bit of corrosion. Clean all grounds at rear of chassis for ECU, clean grounds at kill switch area underneath front cowl, check battery connections again, clean ECU connections too. (We did a voltage/charging system check during the 15k and all was well). Takes most of the day to uncover and get to all grounds to clean and prep properly. Start up all is well. Reset adaptive values and throttle drives. Go out and drive car for half an hour spirited with SD-2 interfaced and recording data aquisition same as above. Car runs and shifts sweet. Bring back to shop, turn off and then back on, CEL.

Disconnect Alternator and run car to ensure no weird diode ripple or voltage spike occurring no change and of course we had already inspected the alternator connection known to be a standard issue on the 360 as part of the 15k and it is better than most.

Performed Data Aquisition of Air Flow, RPM, Battery Voltage, and Air Flow Lo Error with SD2. Ran for 5 minutes, no error present or stored graphed, but when switch back to partial errors, display Lo Air Flow, but no CEL on dash. Two more starting cycles and each stored signal converts to CEL on dash.

Back in shop Tuesday.

Check continuity and electrical connections again and pin out back to ECU, get tricked with a bad test lead for a few hours thinking weak ground signal only to find bad continuity in test wire. Go back through and find all to spec continuity measuring 0.6 ohms through both MAF's to ECUs (cross over) and check all values of common ground and voltage components, all good.

With Oscilloscope go back and measure all values in and out of MAF and all is good. Measure in both voltage and voltage in waveform looking at both banks sensors side by side on channel 1 and 2, pretty damn close. With scale at 4v and time at 4min (lowest) start engine through several cycles in order to find weak signal, nothing encountered but CEL reoccurs.

Swapped ECU's side to side....problem child is exactly same.

Going back to check wave pattern of ignition coils on scope to see if maybe we have a coil going bad causing some A/C over the top. However, checked that too at the sensor and did not see any signal in the background on the labscope.

Probably left out a number of tests here, but looking for some help here as I'm running out of things to check on a perfectly good running car.

Any consultants run into this? I've got a zillion hours now into this diagnostic on my own nickel. At first I thought it was something we may have accidentally bumped or disconnected as it sure seems unlikely to be coincidental but I have yet to find anything wrong at all.

2. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Is the cam timing correct?

3. APC 571

APC 571 Rookie

Oct 6, 2009
    Newport Beach CA
    Full Name:
    Aidan
    the air flow meter low code means the error occurs at low rpm when the intake manifold is using the long runners.so the code is for the air flow meter on the opposite bank.so if code is in lh motronic its the right airflow meter.its kind of a generic code that is not very specific the most common cause for this code is over filling the oil.the cam timing ususally only causes misfire codes.if you cleaned it and the code comes back.just replace it cleaning doesnt always work.

4. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    You might want to reread my post
    all of that was adressed STD procedure and sd2 is not a generic reader
    camtiming is the same as before and unchanged as was not part of 15k

5. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Yes, I know that is why we moved the two MAF's side to side to see if the code moved to the other ECU....it did not. We moved the ECU's side to side, code did not follow.

This morning I tried (4) generic code readers to pickup the CEL. None of them even picked up the CEL and SD-2 does not register it in data aq, or all codes, just partial codes.

Its very strange.

Hopefully a consultant with SD-2 may have run into this "electrical" glitch.

6. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
    May I ask what the specific P**** code is?

7. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    P1323 (it is not on my list of Ferrari proprietary codes) and only showed up on the last generic code reader of 4 I tried and does not register on Ferrari SD-2 either as standalone does not register the error only only in PC link mode and only in partial error list not all error list.

Other manufacturers have different meanings:

1. Ignition Control (IC) Module 24x Reference Circuit low frequency
    2. Loss of High Resolution RPM Information

I've scoped every possibility for both, and nothing but perfection.

I'm about to call a priest for an exorcism.

8. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    thank you for the knowledgeable post

9. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
    If I read all your posts correctly you have tried using a different MAS on the right. The numbers you read seem normal to me as well. However you would have to compare both sides on a dyno or test drive to see a difference. I would like to know what the fuel trim is after a drive for both sides. With a generic scan tool and with the CEL on have you tried to look at the stored data when the fault has occured? IIRC you can't do that with the SDII but you can with a scan tool. If you can look for any numbers that are not normal. You will only be able to look at the right side with a generic scan tool but that is the side you want.

On the KISS principle have you tried switching air filters?

On the more complex have you compared the numbers for left and right throttle bodies? Have you tried swapping them side to side? If one is lagging it will cause the MAS to produce a lower number than the other side.

10. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #10 speedmoore, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    I have done all that and more. I even had a friend in that was a senior engineer at AMD and fellow Fchatter to help me double check and go back through scoping everything and overlaying one bank wave form to the other bank at sensors individually at sensor and at ecu back probing on every wire for (MAF (all 5 pins each), TP signals (all pins), Coil signal, ground, power at each and overlayed to each other, ECU inputs, ECU power supply(s). With his eyes he even suggested we were chasing something that happens so fast without a logic tester we may never see it.

(yes) we switched Air filters, even old air filters, ecu's, spark plugs, coils, motor driven throttles, 2 completely different MAFs. Problem never moved to other side they are actually usually only 1 kg3/m difference side to side, we swapped them after we cleaned both very carefully as well, no change. Reconfirmed cam timing this morning just in case and is spot on as are variators now exactly same side to side (we adjusted as they were a few degrees different from side to side).

Actually you can look at with SD2 but it is slow. We datalogged it in SD2 but also used a generic tool to observe no abnormalities.

Four different Generic Scan tools do not even acknowledge a DTC and the 5th only did it briefly and how I was able to ge the pcode. Standalone SD2 does not acknowledge either, only in PC Link Mode can you see it as it occurs and as it is present with every single parameter spot on.....

We've cleaned virtually every connector in the engine bay and now all behind the seat including all the main power cables and battery "again".

I'm going out for a long test drive after resetting all learned adaptive values and throttle motors again and see if we can't get it through this "glitch" after the latest sweep of checks and cleanings.

Smoke for the second time again confirmed a tight intake system and vacuum lines as well as secondary air, etc.

I keep thinking its going to be something stupid but a week solid nearly has proven that to be wrong so far

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- P1323 is the RH timing sensor on V12s. Not sure about the V8s since I do not have a V8 P Code document, but would think Ferrari would be consistent across models.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #12 speedmoore, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    Thanks Terry,

I have the 360 codes from FNA and that one is not on the sheet. The first 1300 code starts 1324 and is timing between ref and tdc signal.

Even though we did not touch the cam timing, thats why I went back and looked at it and made the exh variators identical in in mid spec.

I'll let you know after my test drive.......just taking a late lunch now and will finish button up of car to drive.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    May seem like a stupid question, but are you sure the code for "low air flow" is not related to the air injection system?? Maybe one of the valves for the air injection is sticking closed, or a vac line got knocked off some how. Just a suggestion, Check it out. The valves are very similar to the ones used on the VW's and BMW's.

14. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Yes I'm sure regardless that system was checked as well as smoke test the entire intake/vacuum system

15. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

Sounds like you've pretty much reached that point! He does of course need to be Italian so the car will understand... Fascinating reading, but I'm real glad it's not on my dime!

Good luck, cheers,
    Ian

16. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Well it looks like we finally have it fixed.

All I can say is I believe the 360's are going to all start heading down this path with anode/cathode reactions with the aluminum frame with copper and steel connections.

This is a nice car and well kept but only after cleaning damn near every main connector, ground to chassis and power supply(s) in the car (and as any Ferrari mechanic knows there are a ton of them on this car), did the problem finally go away.

We have seen ground issues of corrossion a number of times on these models but never to the extent of "phantom" codes as this one presented.

We may go back into producing a supplimental rear chassis harness we have fabricated in the past but it doesn't take care of the cockpit and front chassis issues that also contribute to a lot of gray hairs.

17. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    David,

I've been following this post, but I have any no useful knowledge/experience to add. Just been watching for the outcome. I'm glad you found the problem as well as having the character to get the job done right. Lord only knows what your customer would have paid had his car been at a Ferrari dealership! Maybe the price of a new Toyota! I live in Houston, maybe I should drive to Austin for major services.

18. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Thanks Jerry.

We actually have a number of Houston customers so you are more than welcome to join the club.

19. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks for the update Dave.

I am just fighting a poor ground issue presently, they seem to becoming more common. It may be that the checklist will be added to: Remove and clean all ground straps.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- Galvanic corrosion can be a real pain. Glad you found the problem. Dave Helms has been working on connector issues on earlier cars. This may be another case for him.

Sacrificial anodes may provide an answer, especially if they were made easily replaceable, ie "replace sacrificial anodes every 10 years". The anodes reduce rather than corrode, leaving the connectors protected.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

21. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
    This is a huge problem in VW Vanagons and their head gasket problems. The aftermarket came up with sacrificial anodes that thread into the coolant drain holes of each cylinder head. The VW factory coolant had sacrificial elements to "help prevent" galvanic corrosion. That is why they say it has to be replaced ever two years.

Great job solving the probem by cleaning all the grounds. What a PITA. Different areas in the world will have unique problems due to the local climate. I think this will be more so with the 360. Since there are more Audi V8's with aluminum unibody constrution it would not be a bad idea to follow their strange problems. They pile the miles on and will give advanced notice what may happen with the 360.

Adding the extra ground strap to the subframe is a great idea. That wil have to go along with the altenator ground strap now.

Storing and driving a 360 near the ocean or driving on salted roads is going to be fun for their owners in the future. I did a clutch replacement on a 360 that lived in SF and I had to spend much more time with little fasteners being boogered than others. Boss was not happy about that either but done right is done right.

22. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Dave and I are very good friends and we share a lot of our issues with each other. He and I talked about this brain teaser together at least a dozen times. I'm fortunate to have Dave as my friend/mentor to double check with as well as lend some encouraging words just when you are about to throw in the towel. This car certainly put up a valiant fight.

Both of us have "Ferrari Memory" books on unique problems we have seen over the "21 years me" and "35 years him" working on Ferrari road and race cars. I am about to seperate the 360 from it as it is quickly overtaking my big book.

A couple of my customers have Dave's latest 355 gold pin connector kit and say their cars run better than when they bought them new.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- Good to know you and he are collaborating and gold connectors do not corrode at all. That and the most radiation shielding for the weight (horrible at ~1400 lbs /cu ft, lead is ~800) are why we use gold in satellites. Silver is nearly as good a conductor, but corrodes badly. Gold is kind of expensive to use for large grounds, though.

Between Dave's work on connectors and silicone hoses, he is doing the community a real service.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

24. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Not when one considers the free labor factor that Dave M himself invested in that car. By my count the owner of that car dodged a low to mid 4 figure bill because of a shop owners integrity and a personal insistance on Dave's part to do it right. In this day and age....One has to respect that kind of effort...this one wasnt easy! There are still some doing it right for the right reasons.

In the example of the 360's there are numerous factors in play and it will require some further study on both our parts. I am confident that the time we are investing in this area is not wasted and will lead to noteable improvements in both reliability and performance.

On another front, Dave is in the R&D mode on some ideas for future modifications for these cars. He shared some of these ideas with me over discusions this week....Watch for his design to evolve as he is on to something BIG in my mind. Big enough I am going to cram on my own project car and see if I can weasel in on being a mule tester for his design. THIS is worth watching for and has my full attention!

25. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #25 cwwhk, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    It is very refreshing and rare now a days to see a problem diagnosed and solved in a logical and methodical manner at the shop's expense, instead of taking the easy way out by trying to throw expensive parts at it on customer's account. I salute you sir!

I also had a mysterious fault due to poor ground. 430 Challenge had a F1 shift problem. SD3 reading showed low F1 pressure, so F1 pump was replaced. One race weekend later problem reappears and battery was found to be a bit marginal, so that was replaced. Problem remained intermittently. Then traced to intermittent low alternator voltage output. So alternator was replaced. One more race weekend later 2 fuses blew. Team mechanics went through everything and finally found an intermittent grounding fault. Only hint was some arcing burn marks on one of the SS braided hydraulic line. So the conclusion was that the F1 pump burned itself out, battery over discharged, and fuses blew all as a result of intermittent low alternator voltage output due to poor grounding of the alternator. All grounds were then cleaned and a couple of new ones added from engine to chassis.