a plea for automotive assistance | FerrariChat

a plea for automotive assistance

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by kvisser, Oct 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #1 kvisser, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys,

As some of you know, I've had a 64 Lincoln in hiding for the past few years at a buddy's house. I keep it offsite because the wife has been pressuring me to sell it. In true male form, by keeping the boat out of sight, I get less grief.

However, where I've been hiding the beast is now under contract. Furthermore, she won't start. I have to get the car running in order to get it out of its current cave. I really could use some help in tracing down the issue.

I believe there is a fusable link somewhere that is fried. I was attempting to start the lincoln up a 2 months ago. The motor was turning over and then dead. No smoke, no nothing, no power anywhere (lights or windows) I tested the battery, replaced the starter solenoid, replaced the line from starter solenoid to the battery and tested the ground - still dead. I am able to bridge the starter solenoid and the motor cranks right up.

i'd like to try and get a group of knowledgable guys together to try and trace the problem. I have very minimal electrical skills and need some assistance. The car is located in northern Silver Spring, off of Briggs Chaney in a very nice garage with power and lights. I have my air compressor and various tools on site.

Any insight or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for a temporary home for the beast as well.

regards

ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DaveC20853

DaveC20853 Karting

May 22, 2006
    #2 DaveC20853, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    Sounds like something in the ignition switch circuit and I'd bet it's the switch itself. The good thing is, on old fords (if my memory serves me right) you can jumper the ignition and starter on the remote solenoid relay.

It's been a LONG time since I've done it but I have done it (someone lost their keys to their van at the USGP at the Glen).

Edit: rereading and rethinking. When you said you jumpered the relay did you just bridge the "heavy" terminals or the coil (small) terminal. Could be the relay itself.

3. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    On a slightly different but related subject, if you want to sell it, please contact me at 630 567-0066 or [email protected]. I think I have a buyer for it.
    Thanks,
    Ron

4. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can try to help you out Ken. I also have a couple friends that would be interested in renting storage space to you. One in VA and another in the Olney area. PM me or get my number from Wetpet.

5. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    I was able to bridge the 2 posts on the starter solenoid and the car started right up.

What's somewhat confusing is that I don't have any power anywhere. If the ignition circuit cuts out, would that sink the whole ship?

thanks

ken

6. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Hey Kevin,

I really appreciate it. I'm in the midst of preparing my house for sale. The Lincoln was my next project. I wasn't counted on being forced into troubleshooting it under the gun.

I'll get back to you on timeframes.

I might be interested in the Olney storage possibility. Any idea on cost?

regards

ken

7. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #7 KKRace, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    I think your looking at around $125 per month. It would be on Gregg Rd right off of Zion Rd. 97 to Olney, Left on 108 and Rt on Zion to Gregg Rd

8. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
  9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    On yet another note, if you end up needing it moved, call me.
    MB

10. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I love that road

11. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    Here's what's cool about our little section of the world. Dave took time out of his day to come visit with my Lincoln. He jumped the starter solenoid with 2 wires which led to the motor firing up quite nicely. Within 5 minutes, he had my car running.

Dave thinks it is the ignition switch. I have an OEM ignition switch to replace it with. The fun part will be removing the existing one. There's a jungle of wires under the dash!

He got the car diagnosed and running so quickly, we had time for a fun cruise in his tricked out Miata. What a perfect day for a convertible ride! I think that you should get a ticket if you have a functioning convertible and its not retracted on a day like today.

Dave, it was great reconnecting with you and I truly appreciate the help. Sometimes we can over think stuff and its really cool to have some one with a different perspective run the table.

regards and happy Friday!

ken

12. DaveC20853

DaveC20853 Karting

May 22, 2006
    What Ken really means is "Thanks for the lesson on how to steal Shelbys".
    J/K

It helps when you cut your car teeth on 60's Ford products. Glad it was the simple thing. At least you can move the car under it's own power now.