Raikkonen to Red Bull, Renault to oust Grosjean? | FerrariChat

Raikkonen to Red Bull, Renault to oust Grosjean?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SlvSurfer, Oct 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm not sure what you're on about...last time I checked Red bull are second in the championship, mclaren 4th...

Red Bull is an excellent team, adrian newey there as chief designer and christian horner is an excellent team boss. The current car would be higher in the points if it had a better engine (mercedes or Ferrari) and was more reliable.

Since they're probably changing the engine for next year anyways...Maybe a Ferrari engine after all.

Besides, dietrich mate****z (team owner) won't cut down on spending if the team are definite WCC hopefuls

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Renault now saying it may be January before the second driver is announced. Kimi is saying he wants a signed contract by the end of this season. Couple that with Webber's announcement of his involvement with a team in the GP3 series could make it a viable alternative of Red Bull rather than the initial rumors of McLaren. Grosjean had been mentioned eariler as getting the oust from Renault for next year. As aquapuss pointed out from a Finnish report that it will be most likely either a McLaren, Red Bull or Brawn move for Kimi.

Carol

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Red Bull and vodka make a nice drink when one needs late night energy so that's where Kimi should go....

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Indeed. RB and Kimi might be a perfect fit.

6. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I hadn't even considered the paring but it does seem like it would be a good fit. I assume it would be Kimi and Vettel....

The only hindrance I could come up with is the fact that RBR is a very open team who pushes their drivers into MORE of a PR role than the average F1 team; would Kimi be a good fit in that context?

7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

If he's happy, he will do just fine with the PR.

8. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    He was smart to keep his Bank teller day job open, ya know...just in case. :)

9. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    How many championships has McLaren won? Many.

How many has Red Bull won? Oh thats right none.

Red Bull is doing fantastic this season but again how long will it last?

Red Bull is an excellent team for a young driver like Vettel who gives them their first wins. But you think he would actually stay with the team in the future if has a chance to go to a more famous team?

I think McLaren have improved the most out of all the teams (except Brawn GP and Red Bull obviously).

The thing is you never know in Formula 1, Red Bull can go win the next championship but still I think McLaren is the safer than Red Bull.

10. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    Why didn't Alonso go to Red Bull? They are 2nd while Ferrari is 3rd?

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    That's a very good question that's hasn't been asked! thoughts/ideas??

Clint, you're correct about the bank day job!

Carol

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    +1.

This season has proven how much having existing engineering talent and resources matters in this sport. Ferrari and McLaren (literally at the back of the grid at start of the season) despite starting with fundamentally very flawed designs are now fighting for wins with Brawn and RB. Kimi would be foolish to go anywhere other than McLaren because things will be back to the norm in 2010, ie. either them or Feza will take the WDC and CC.

13. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Because he has the foresight to see that this season was an outlier. Teams like RB and Brawn won't be able to jump the others like they did by developing early, and McLaren and Ferrari having already substantially caught up. If anything RB and Brawn will be minorly in the situation that McLaren and Ferrari were in 08, with the 09 car.

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Alonso went to Ferrari because it is Ferrari and most every driver wants that on their C/V.
    As far as RB vs, McLaren goes while McL has a better record you have to look at where they are now and now RB is the better team.

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Kimi and Vettel.....sounds like a plan!

16. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Except Vettel will kick Kimi's butt!
    John

17. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If I was in his shoes, my reasoning would be because Ferrari will come back and be a front runner in time. I think history and track record have a lot to do with it.

Mark

18. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    +1

19. 430lover

430lover Karting
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Kimi will beat Vettel.

20. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Vettel.

I can't imagine he'd want another season of getting beat by a younger teammate ;)

21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Because it's Ferrari.

I know of professional hockey players who would play for Montreal or Toronto over another, better team just because it is the team they dreamed of playing for since they learned to skate.

Not exactly the same thing, but similar.

22. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    #22 aquapuss, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    It depends on the type of the PR work Kimi's asked to do. Red Bull is big on anything "Xtreme" in sports and knowing Kimi he'd thrive if he had a chance to do rallying, snowmobiling, motocross, snowboarding and even ice-hockey on company time. He's very accomplished in most of those. Kimi just hates regurgitating banalities in front of the press and shaking VIP hands with a phony smile on his face.

Come to think of it, Kimi would probably wipe the floor with that Travis Pastrami character.

23. WOLFMAN

WOLFMAN Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Germany and US
    Full Name:
    Gerd W. Brandt.
    +1

if that is the case, Kimi and Vettel, I defiantly vote for Vettel!

24. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Kimi and Renault - I HOPE NOT. And he's said he's never talked to Renault for next year.

Kimi and Red Bull - Both of their drivers have signed new contracts so i doubt it, althought i can say that RB and Vodka is very nice.

Please go to Mclaren!!!

25. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Good point. A Kimi/Vettel combo sounds like the perfect lineup for Red Bull.