Nightclub Food - Suggestions? | FerrariChat

Nightclub Food - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by El Wayne, Sep 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Someone I know is opening a nightclub here in SoCal but the liquor license is a type 47 (hard liquor with food) so he has to serve food. He's looking to do something SIMPLE, like one signature item done several different ways. An example would be this place: http://www.thebakedpotato.com/home.html

They ONLY do baked potatoes, but they have 21 different versions. After all, what can be simpler than a potato?

The thing is that his club is a little more upscale than this, so baked potatoes might not fit the image. Same can be said for burgers, pizza, etc. Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple menu item that can be offered in at least 5-10 different ways, is easy to store and prepare, yet reflects at least some sophistication?

Thanks!

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he could be tongue-in-cheek and offer all the stuff you end up eating after the nightclub...chicken and waffles, white castle-esque burgers, tacos, etc. obviously not easy prep, though.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Buy seasonal, sell same = rotate menu

Jazz up some;

Grilled Cheese sandwiches
    Muffuletta
    Muffuletta salad
    Po' Boys
    Shrimp

If they've got a deep-fryer - chicken drummies - mild or wild or honey are frozen and ready to go in less than 5 minutes... offer ranch dressing and a celery stick or BBQ sauce or...

that can be a constant on the menu, along with rice'n'beans or what-have you - but other items can rotate

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Could really think out of the box and make jelly and peanut butter sandwiches.

Toasted. On white or on wheat. Buttered extra.

Sliced from corner to corner or down the middle. Halved or quartered. With crust or without.

There are many ways to go with this PBJ idea.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Donuts!

Name the place Drunkin Donuts.

6. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
  7. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    #7 bmwm3, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
    fondue...Most clubs around here do sushi

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    actually not a bad idea. I've seen the same thing done with "premium" grilled cheese sandwiches (using brie, artisan bread, etc)

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #9 El Wayne, Sep 27, 2009
    So far, the premium grilled cheese idea sounds fantastic (so many variations available but ingredients are easy to store and preparation is simple) as does fondue. Not so sure about the PB&J though.

The Victor Tango's menu looks good but is not really what he's going for. Too complex, too many ingredients.

Thanks, guys! Keep the ideas coming. You're all welcome to drinks on the house on opening night!

10. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    I think this is IN california, but what about fries with 20 diff toppings/dipping sauces served in a spiral holder or cup with a paper cone? Fancy flavored salts etc.

Or diff kinds of nachos. They have some lobster ones at Ritz that are great and very simple and clean looking. Not the ball park type with ladle of cheese/chili. Individual chips each with its own topping get about 6 to a serving.

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #11 El Wayne, Sep 27, 2009
    This was actually my first idea. Of course, instead of "french fries" they would be "pommes frites." Then again, he could offer both sandwiches "au fromage grillé" and "pommes frites." Why does French make everything sound more upscale to the American ear?

12. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    curly fries are nice too. make them fresh so you don't need freezer space. just grab a spud, put it in the cutter and right into the fryer. use sweet potatos for something different.

13. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    Take my fondue idea and then the idea about the grilled cheese and mix it in one...

you dip the butter toasted bread into the cheese and basically have bite sized grilled cheese.

What is the theme of the club?

14. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    sliders.. upscaling can be made with wagyu beef/buffalo w/ sweet potato fries

I would think something like http://www.cocosala.com/ bite-size dishes.

15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #15 agup48, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
    Mini-pizzas.
    Eggrolls, wontons,
    Cheesesteak
    Cuban sandwiches
    Pita sandwiches

I like Korrs idea of Drunkin' Donuts. :D

16. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Why doesn't he just serve one single dish and not promote the sale of it what-so-ever? I couldn't imagine more than 1% of nightclub patrons actually ordering food INSIDE a nightclub...

Unless he sets it up as a supper-club. Dinner until 10, then the lights go off and the music turns on...

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #17 El Wayne, Sep 29, 2009
    The city is now saying that he has to have a menu of some sort and will likely have to be open for food at an hour that's too early for clubin'. Basically, it has to be presented as a legit restaurant that transforms in the evenings.

18. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    So essentially a supperclub.

I strongly suggest your friend take a trip to Montreal for a weekend and check out the clubs there. They basically set the precedent for supperclubs, in my opinion, and they are highly successful.

19. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  20. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I love that place! they have great live music there.

If you came up with 5-10 different ways to prepare ahi tuna, I'd eat there everyday.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #21 Wade, Sep 29, 2009
    In Holland they serve Bitterballen, they're freakin' awesome, especially when dipped in spicy mustard. Usually one of the waitresses walks through the crowd carrying a large tray full but they don't last long. Once you taste one you're constantly on the lookout for the next round (which is sometimes a tray of cheese cubes; almost as good).

Although the recipe above is quite good the best Bitterballen are made with some kind of meat paste instead of ground beef.

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #22 El Wayne, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Yeah, I used to live up on the hill behind it and was a regular. Great music.

I'll let you know if it ends up going that route - then you can become a regular!

Sounds delicious. I looked around and it looks like minced veal is commonly used.

Has to be prepared on the premises, so it can't come from a local bakery. Also has to pass for "dinner" food if served during dinner hours of 6-9pm.

23. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Wayne -

Keeping everybody out of fantasyland, roundtable this:

What would you eat?
    What would the owner eat?
    Wives?

How would you want food/drink service/atmosphere?

24. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    Personally, in keeping with the theme of a club, your best bet is something simple, CLEAN, and that doesn't fill you up like crazy.

Have you considered serving tapas? They're usually quite simple, look a little fancier than most other meals served at restaurants, and are tiny.

Personally I would run with the "amuse bouche" idea.

How refined is this place going to be, I've been to a few bars and clubs that serve food and some pull it off more than other, whether it's a classy place or not.

Best!

25. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Waffles and pancakes