Valve bucket hold-down tool 2-valve engine | FerrariChat

Valve bucket hold-down tool 2-valve engine

Discussion in '308/328' started by f308jack, Oct 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I have the possibility to have one cut for me, but need dimensions. Would anyone scan his?
    I know I can order it from several sources, but by the time it gets to South Africa and through customs it'll cost a fortune...

Also, what is the tip of the bucket press-down spoon made of? I don't want to damage a cam-lobe. Maybe not so important at a spot where the shim won't touch the lobe anyway with any force, but a scratch is made easily, expecially when working in a confined space as that aginst the firewall.

Input much appreciated!

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    #2 fastradio, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Jack, I got the tool in question from T Rutlands. Is was a repr made entirely of brass. Cost me about $100. it is small snd should fedex pretty cheap.

Tony

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Thanks for the replies!

The Kawasaki tool looks promising, I'm sure I can get hold of that easy here, lots of them around. My stepson is a motorcycle guy, so I should have the tool by the weekend:)

I am being very silly, but my cam-seals are bobe-dry so I don't want to disturb them if I don't absolutely have to., otherwise I'd just measure and take the cams off.
    This whole service has for various reasons been delayed and I need to get it done. I'm already missing our club track-day this coming weekend.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #5 yelcab, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Perfect!

Thank you!

7. jth5610

jth5610 Karting

Mar 4, 2008
    Assens, Denmark
    Full Name:
    jesper thamm
    #7 jth5610, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I had a factory version of this tool that I picked up in Italy for my 1970 Fiat 124 back in 1970. I wish I would have kept it around, it worked a treat. The only differences in the tool were: (1) it had a handle, about 6" long, and (2) the inside of the "prongs" had a rabbit machined into them around the inner edge so it would center around the bucket and clear the shim.

I'm pretty sure the buckets and shims were the same size on the 1438 cc Fiat 124 engine and the Ferrari 308 engine. The heads looked very similar, and the cam belt drive was 1/2 of a 308 engine, same routing and tensioner. I understand both engines were designed by the same engineer, if so, chances are good the Fiat tool would work.

Here's a direct link: http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=5081

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I like the way it is supported on the bucket on both sides, but it appears to be made of steel instead of brass, which increases the danger of damaging parts.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I had a factory Fiat tool similar to the one Jesper showed except it had a long orange handle on it for leverage. Worked perfectly on Dino, Daytona and 308 shims.

Just gave it to my technicians last week or you could have had it for free. Not much use on my 575M.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    You know, I never did figure out how to use the tool correctly. Do you:

(1) insert the tool when the cam has depressed the valve and then rotate the engine until the shim is loose; or

(2) Rotate the engine until the cam lobe is at 90º and then insert the tool and leverage the bucket down.

As far as damaging the bucket or shim, the shop manual shows a method where you insert a blade between the cam lobe and the shim, then leverage it down and insert the semi-circular shim on the edge of the bucket. I'm not so sure I want to put a sharp edge like that between the cam lobe and the shim. I would be afraid of scoring the cam lobe. This tool doesn't hit the face of the cam, only the edge of the bucket.

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jesper, I have a couple of that tool and I use it all the time on Fiats and Lancia.
    This tools works great and it's easy to use. Fiats and Lancias twin cams has the same size bucket as the 2V 308 so it should work.

13. jth5610

jth5610 Karting

Mar 4, 2008
    Assens, Denmark
    Full Name:
    jesper thamm
    Thanks, I will buy one
    Regards
    Jesper