Look what I got | FerrariChat

Look what I got

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Oct 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    #1 angelis, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today, a deal has been done to purchase a very special engine. It's from a 348 that raced at Le Mans.

A custom engine built by Ferrari to race at Le Mans it is based on a 355 block (although the 355 wasn't launched at the time the engine was built) mated to a 348 engine. It was further enhanced and modified by the team that raced it with titanium conrods, Cosworth internals etc. I believe it's now a 3.5 litre engine rather than a 3.4 litre.

It's currently pumping out 480bhp and redlines at 9400rpm and was more powerful than the Micholotto 348's that raced at Le Mans. The bhp figure comes from an engine dyno rather than a rolling road/hub dyno and makes it more powerful than a 360CS.

Only 6 engines like it were ever made. Of the other 5 engines, one is in the 348 Le Mans race car and the other 4 are believed to be in various race cars, assuming they still exist.

The 348 took part in the Le Mans 24 hours race in 1993 (when it was crashed into by Eddie Irvine) and again in 1994 where it retired with clutch problems on lap 57. It has also been raced in the last few years as well although I have no details of where.

Over the next few months we'll be adapting it to work in a road car as well as making a few technical modifications. It's not going to be easy as I want to be able to pose down the Kings Road as well as blast along on track days. I also want to concentrate on acceleration rather than overall top speed.

I was hoping to install a 360 F1 gearbox, but it won't fit. For the time being we'll use the existing 348 gearbox and maybe strengthen it. I'll be investigating the underfloor panelling as well and I need to sort out a rear spoiler as well.

We haven't decided on which ECU system to use, although at the moment the Motec M800 looks favourite and it will allow us to have various maps which i can choose at the push of a button. eg: for road use, track use, or ******* scary as hell use. We'll also be installing the racelogic traction control system that I already have and a quantum racing adjustable suspension system.

The plan is to have it ready by January 2010. Once finished it will be one of a kind. A road going Ferrari with an original Le Mans race engine. According to those in the know, it will be as wild as an F40 but without the turbo lag.

Special thanks to Adam (Hazy) for finding the engine for me. :thumbsup:

Also thanks to Dave Helms and Mitch and everyone else who gave me advice about the engine.

Haven't seen the engine myself, but below are a couple of pics from their website and a picture of the 348 car the engine was used in.

Also a video of its sister car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsQWOoySY8

I'll start up a thread once we start work on it. I'm sure some of you will be interested in how the project progresses. :thumbsup:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I'm green with envy......

3. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Talking of green, thats the "Totip" creation/monster:D And you say you have and are fitting one of them Le mans engines? OMG! Please keep us informed.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #4 ernie, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    That is nothing short of BADASS Sy!

Have you asked the guys you're buying the engine from about the ecu's they ran? How about hitting up Andy to see what it takes to hook up a 355 6 speed to the back of that thing.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Wow.

FWIW, I've seen a thread here about installing a mating a 355 tranny with the 3.4, so -that- is possible.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Holy crap, Sy!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That'll be a thread I greatly anticipate! ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    #7 angelis, Oct 9, 2009
    Not sure exactly what they ran, but I think it was a MBE ECU as they have created the maps for it.

When they received the 348 and engines, the first thing they doid was rip out the gearbox and suspension and send it back. they used a race gearbox instead. The suspension was desgined by a Formula designer who's first name is Mario.

Under the deal, the race car company were obliged to send back the 348 to Ferrari do that they could check it over. Evidently, the 355 suspension is based on that particular design.

I'm running with teh 348 gearbox for the time being. Going to visit Andy in teh next week or so as I need to check out the softness of huis dampers so will have a look again at the gearbox mod.

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Do you think you can get the maps from them? I would think that would help cut down on dyno time to tune it.

Flippin-a Sy, that is just awesome bro!

9. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Thanks everyone

Once it's installed, they are going to remap it for me on their rolling road. I'll make sure i do a video of it. :D

10. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    By the way, i thought those trumpets were made of black plastic and I asked if we could change them for chrome ones like andy has.

It turns out they are made from carbon fiber!!!

11. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Here's the engine spec.

Ted Wenz crank,
    Cosworth Spec Pistons, Cams and Valve Springs.
    Large valves.
    Individual throttle butterflies.
    Titanium rods.
    Ported and polished heads.
    MBE Engine Management.
    Freshly rebuilt, no miles.
    480bhp and revs to 9400rpm.
    Complete with map and engine loom.

We'll probably end up detuning the engine to 450bhp and limiting it to 8500rpm.

albert328gts likes this.
  12. FBI

FBI Formula Junior

May 27, 2008
    Calgary,Ab
    What a find! This is going to be FUN! Congrats.

Cheers

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very nice Sy.

14. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    WOW, DAMN, HOLLY CRAP!!!! I want it. Great find, good luck with it.

15. Jam

Jam Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    Aus-Asia
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Wow, that's cool. Lucky, enjoy.

16. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    WOW, very impressive find Sy! You'll end up with a great car with an impressive authentic Ferrari history...looking forward to following your project!

Cheers!

17. Luc

Luc Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    WOW WOW WOW !
    Lucky man !

18. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    What a sweet project.

How often will you be changing the belts? (Just kidding :))

Kai

19. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Just chiming in to say HELL YES! That's going to be such a unique car when you are done with it!

20. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #21 Night life, Oct 9, 2009
    Sy you suck :D:D:D:D

I am sooooooooo jealous.........Good for you my man

Wow now you can give Andy H a run for his money.............hmmmm maybe pink slips :D:D:D

21. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    A bracket between the belt tensioners - that's interesting.

What do they do for the exhaust?

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I would imagine straight pipes.

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    .................... first congratulations on the engine :) ................... though why would you want to 'detune' it :confused:?????

Assuming the 480HP @ 9400RPM value is accurate .......... if/when you take the RPM limit down to 8500 rpm you will end up with about 434 HP not 450 ............. about what my F355 spider will have when I am done with it ......... Hahahahahahahhaaaaa .... :p :p :p

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That is AWESOME Sy!! :D:D

Congrats mate!! Its going to be a toss up between you and Andy as to who has the BADDEST 348 on the planet! :eek::eek:

Good one mate! We all cant wait to see how this turns out! :D:D