How Can I Place A Order For A 458 | FerrariChat

How Can I Place A Order For A 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by todo, Oct 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todo

todo Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    As a first time Ferrari buyer, is there a way I can put a deposit for the 458?
    The dealership in Houston would not take a order from me until I get a pre owned Ferrari.
    Thanks

2. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Take a number and get in line. Its going to be a long wait.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

They said that about 430s and scuds. You never know

4. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I agree. I think the 458s will trickle in and there seem to be plenty of well heeled buyers who have multiple cars and ALWAYS get the latest and greatest. Customers with running relationships with the dealers will be on the top of any "lists"

It will be interesting to see. I never had one before and felt excited about the 430 when they were launched but didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting one. With the new economic realities, perhaps you can get one after the first couple yrs when those guys I referred to above have theirs.

My advice would be to plan on waiting, or get a nearly new Ferrari at a relative bargain now.

my .02

5. todo

todo Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    Get in line or pay a premium!! I am guessing 100K!!

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yep.

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Such premiums are gone for a while.....

8. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    We'll see about that. This isn't the California we're talking about. I'm referring to a secondary market premium. It will sell for MSRP to the first buyers but I'm pretty sure it will have a hefty premium when people flip them.

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1000

10. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That is what I saw 2 years ago with the 430's when I was looking. Despite "new economy" I expect to be similar at least initially with the 458

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    They won't take an order if you walked in with a suitcase full of cash. Get an F430 (newer the better) and build a relationship with the dealer. There are a lot of people who have owned a lot of Ferrari's that are sitting on the sidelines waiting for their number to be called on the 458. You could also get on in the aftermarket when they arrive in the US, but you will pay $75 to $100k over sticker for the opportunity. I would suggest you take the route we all take and get a wonderful F430 and make yourself know to the dealer. There is usually somebody the dealer has in mind for a 458 and that person may have changed their mind about spending the money at that time and place. This is where your relationship with the dealer comes into play. Hope this helps.

12. todo

todo Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    Actually the dealer proposed the same, he was very reasonable. I had booked a California but cancelled as I got a 997 Turbo cab.
    The problem with getting another car such a 430 is that I just don't need one. . . . and will have no time to use it. I am not a car collector either.
    I am barely putting miles on the 997.
    But I want to get a 458 and will get one even though it will be a garage queen .....

13. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    If that's all you're going to do with it then don't bother. Leave it for someone who'll use it.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Wrong attitude. Even Ferrari recognizes their customers buy cars for different reasons. LdM has noted that Ferrari knows many of their customers personally. This is not possible for a large volume manufacturer. Each customer has their own personal reason for choosing a Ferrari.
    CH

15. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #15 Lesia44, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Sure they do. Doesn't make it any less sad the thought of all those Ferraris sitting in garages instead of out being thrashed. It reduces the whole affair to pure materialism. And a Ferrari that spends its time just sitting in a garage is like a tiger in a cage. A tiger is defined as much by what it does as what it looks like, so a tiger not out in the wild doing tiger stuff ceases to be a tiger. Besides, if you want something to just look at, buy a painting.

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    'Man who ride tiger often end up inside one'.

17. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    :)

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    So... should all art be in public museums? Is it "right" for a private collector sequestor such treasures???

Who are you to say how anyone one else chooses to use / enjoy their posessions...

19. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I'm not telling anyone how they should enjoy their possessions. But I do reserve the right to have an opinion (this is a discussion board, after all). And in my opinion, cars that are designed to offer the leading edge of performance and the ultimate driving experience but just sit in garages doing nothing except looking pretty are wasted.

20. todo

todo Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    My mom recently visited me (I am 44 year old) and saw the 458 on my computer screensaver and asked me what car is it? I told her a Ferrari!
    She told me that when I a kid I used to put posters of Ferrari's all over my room walls.
    I guess I have just had it in me since I was a kid to own a Ferrari. I can take this post a step further that a Ferrari inspires a kid to work hard if he or she aspires to own one day.
    I am blessed to have the means to own a Ferrari and it is to fulfill my childhood dream.
    So my reason for owning one is different than someone elses.
    I do not see myself going to my 12 year olds baseball games or to the grocery store in a Red 458. Neither do I see myself taking it to my work.
    Between other cars I own such as my mortal suburban /my wife's LX 570 and my daily driver 997 turbo cab and the extensive travel I do I cannot see myself putting much miles on my future Ferrari.
    So, to each his own, every one has thier own reason to own a 458.

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good post

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh, snap!

23. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If it's not going to be driven at all, may as well get a sculpture :)

24. Tonza

Tonza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I think any F430 is a much better car than the 997 turbo cab. so I would suggest you buy a F430 spider from the dealer and secure a spot for the 458 if you can.

25. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That's sums up why I traded in a 997 turbo cab for a 430