Vintage Package | FerrariChat

Vintage Package

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by scotte, Oct 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scotte

scotte Rookie

Dec 20, 2004
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There is a "retro vintage package" that I would like for my california ( mirrors, side gills , window frame in metal), but is not yet available. The dealer called and said I can order my california now..but has no info on this "vintage package". (may or may not be available at some further date).. should I wait and see or order the car now.

2. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    I would start by filling out your profile

3. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    #3 shawminator, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    I too am interested in the vintage package. Interestingly enough, if you go to the Ferrari owners car configurator website, you can add it as an option that is, in turn, reflected in the animated car configuration. Unfortunately, there isn't a price and it says it's currently unavailable. I would expect though that is becomes available soon given its appearance in the configurator.

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    It's actually been on the configurator for at least 6 months or more but there is still no release date as far as I'm aware. The HGTS package has also been on there since the car appeared on the configurator but there's no sign of that option either.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Why dont you just buy a REAL vintage Ferrari ?

It will look lots better than the Cali and you'll get more respect from fellow F drivers

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I actually like AC that works, acceleration better than your average modern Nissan, and airbags. :)

It's an interesting question though. I've had vintage cars. I like them. I just like modern cars better for running around town. If I spend that much for a car, I want to enjoy it every mile, not just driving to car shows and the shop to fix it.

But, I did think long and hard about this issue. I can see how it can be a difficult decision. Vintage cars are extemely "cool".

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.

Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.

Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...

Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.

Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh, how much I love the sound of yet another real Ferrari guy! As my bud Wes has coined, the only Cali I'd own has 250 on it :)

9. fredhart

fredhart Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    Interestiing. can anyone post a pic of the car configurated with the vintage package?

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    How much does a 250 go for these days?

7 Million ? I wouldn't spend 7 million on one.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm restoring my 68 Vette roadster, going to install modern AC, maybe a Nav system, iPod and a Lusso style interior

Outside it will have big fat chrome sidepipes of course, a nice chrome roll bar

I think it will accelerate a Wee bit better than a modern Nissan with the 509 cid Aluminum block ;)

12. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    To paraphrase yet another favorite of mine: Steve Martin....How to make a million and not pay taxes? First make a million dollars....then when he asks, tell the Tax guy "I forgot"!

Something similar might be true here...How does one buy a real Ferrari California? First have $7 million liquid...

My guess is that seriously reduces those able to bid against you :)

13. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    nice job

but, clearly, bdelp is talking about the vintage Ferrari that is restored or maintained as original or close to original. Vintage Ferraris are dinosaurs and often cannot perform as well as a Nissan Maxima, for example (which is a high-performance car in comparison to many old Ferraris --I think a Ford Focus could annihilate a 308 on a track); at very least vintage cannot approach the creature comforts of most modern cars.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Maybe I am not car crazy enough. I, like self -employed business owners, have the cash liquid as you say. But I think one's automotive investments should represent a very small percentage of one's net worth. And I don't believe that one should let the car sit in a garage. Drive your cars. Don't let the car own you.

Also what would a California 250 be worth if there were about 2,000 others in existence. My guess about 125K. In other words, if the California 250 were more abundant, it's value would be significantly less.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #17 isuk, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go Fred. The package changes the front grille, screen pillars, side vents and door handles to a brushed aluminium finish it would appear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    like it except the chromed mirrors are awful.

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    you guys will probably strongly disagree... but I would really like it if they added a 1/4 inch piece of brushed aluminum or stainless or polished stainless on the leading edge of the hood scoop...

20. fredhart

fredhart Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    thanks Isuk...now only if they offered wire wheels.

21. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    If it is similar to the Maserati Vintage Package that the offered on the coupes and spyders then it will contain Ball Polished Wheels, Aluminum Calipers, Chromed (Brushed Aluminium) Side Grills, Front Grill, Rear Grills and a retro spedo.

22. FIKE

FIKE Rookie

Sep 27, 2009
    Hi Isuk, could you send me the link for the configurator? It has a lot more options than the version on the ferrari website. thanks in advance.

23. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The configurator is on the Ferrari.com website but I think you need to be an owner with a car chassis number registered in Ferrari's database to gain access to it.

24. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    #24 Frari, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep there is a retro package that they can instal, mind you the cost is exhorbitant, something like 9.5million. Here is a photo of the finished product.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    If we are talking fun and drivability, I would take a new California over an old one any day. The old ones are nice, soulful and all the rest but the technology in the new California is unmatched. If they had the technology in the 60's, they would have built the car like it is today.