IS this the end of ********** at the VCR ? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

IS this the end of ********** at the VCR ?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by srslusso, Sep 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Here is the problem with that logic. If Vons notices a dip in sales, they can't beg to get the crowd back. When the ship has sailed, you can't get it back.

Crystal Cove in 2004-05 was a lot of fun, then it became a "park and pose" show. Starbucks has lightened up their Saturday morning staff, but they are by no means out of business with our departure.

Personally I have patronized Maria's, VCR, Subway, Chicks, CVS, McD's, Taco Bell, the BofA has gotten plenty of service fees from me, Radio Shack, the little cafe for breakfast, and other local shops as well, but if the crowd that is attracted there does not shop, only gawk, well then it is logical to enforce a parking time limit. Run people off though? That is uncool, but their right.

2. jaev

jaev Rookie

Feb 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yes, of course. Not a problem with the logic; sorry, I guess I should have added to the point about VONS discovering they lost business the line "By then it will be too late." Once the gathering is gone - and it is probably gone - it won't return. My real point is that I suspect VONS really hasn't fully considered the question of whether they benefit or not.

That proves the point. Even if the positive effect is small, it is still a positive net effect. The fact that they have cut back suggests they lost some business. It is highly unlikely that any of these business will succeed or fail based on the business they either get or lose early Sunday mornings. Everything else being equal, however, if I own a business, I want more customers, even if my survival isn't hanging in the balance.

I guess that comes back to my point. Even if the only people shopping are you and me, if that is two more customers than those shops would otherwise get early on Sunday (and again, I don't know if it is - hard to really judge), then there is a benefit. They can choose to get rid of the benefit.. the question of "right" is really more tied up in the tenant-landlord question... but IMHO, if I owned a business, I'd always choose to get two more customers rather than two less customers.

I'd note that shopping malls with a little more vision can embrace car shows - there is a fun one every Saturday in Scottsdale that even gets mentioned on the shopping center's own website:

http://scottsdalepavilions.com/Events.aspx

Having been to it, it is a great deal more organized than the (whatever it is called) Sundays, but it certainly attracts lots of people to the mall.

3. Redd430

Redd430 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    #153 Redd430, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    What do you mean they will be covered by a TRO if they tow my car (for example)? I am a legitimate customer, so that makes no sense to me. I assume you are an attorney had have a legal precedent you can reference.

4. blownchevy

blownchevy Karting

Jul 24, 2005
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Steve you are quite aware of who I am.........The TRO is enforceable and if they so choose they can enforce it, right or wrong.

5. Redd430

Redd430 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    Then it should be a fun day. Still don't recognize your screen name. Who is this?

6. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Don't worry Steve, if they try and tow you we'll use the coffee to blind them while we turn tail and run....

7. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Von's is a large corporation. The manager is just an employee. The manager probably doesn't care about a little more or less business. What he does care about is complaining customers. That is why the Von's will complain and not care about the huge potential extra business.

8. TwinTurbo928

TwinTurbo928 Rookie

Feb 19, 2007
    You are correct. However, unless there is designated parking (Vons parking spaces are identified, for example) the lot is normally common to all tenants and it is basically up to the landlord to manage it. Here is an example of a lease contract in a strip mall:

http://contracts.onecle.com/california-culinary/natividad.lease.1996.07.15.shtml

See section 5, something like that is normally what the lease will contain. Of course, it could be different but without seeing it, my guess would be it would likely be fairly standard.

In my opinion, arguing that there are more customers at the location due to the cars showing up is mute because the lot owner and has already made up his mind.

If you ended up in court, you could probably argue a case along the lines of.. cars are "like clothes" and so it falls under the Unruh act but the problem is you aren't likely going to find many people sympathetic to exotic car owners trying to claim protected class status. You'd need pretty careful jury selection for something like that :)

The question of towing.. that is a little more tricky. They can tow, of course. Just like you can punch someone in the nose if you want. But whether it would be legal or not given the short notice would be interesting. And there are liabilities for damage if the cars are towed and damaged in any way. My guess would be they really don't want to go down the route of towing the cars unless they get really ticked off.

I asked my wife about this and she said if it was her lot and the cars kept coming, she'd gravel it :)

9. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Correct
    However the LAPD said they were there for the protection of the represenitives of the Shopping Center Management, including the Process Server, Security Guards, and Tow Truck Drivers while they were doing their job. They specificly stated that the management represenitives could make citizens arrests, tow cars away etc. The legality of such actions is to be decided later in Civil Court.
    I support Dusty although I don't know exactly what he is doing other then trying to consult an attorney, he hasn't called me or posted anything here.
    I attended the event virtually every Sunday and would like to in the future, but I'm being realistic at this point.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Would it help if someone can invite the Mayor to VCR?

11. JWLee

JWLee Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Jong Lee
    Better yet, if would be interesting if Jay Leno showed up in one of his cars and they tow it away.

12. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Lets have the show on the public street in front of the Vons manager's house...LOL....

13. Redd430

Redd430 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    See you all at VCR tomorrow.

14. quiksilver55

quiksilver55 Karting

Sep 17, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Keep the updates coming. I'll be monitoring this thread throughout the day from afar.

15. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Well? Did anyone go today?

16. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    My wife stopped by at 0800 to have a look. She said there were no exotics, just muscle cars. Police were there but nobody was being towed. She spoke with somebody that told her that the TRO had not been finalized. Not sure if this is correct.

17. Redd430

Redd430 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    I was there with the 430 at 9. So was Mark process with his Ferrari and Justin Friedman with his Porsche. There were several other people but not like a normal Sunday at all.

I sure wish people wouldn't be so scared to come out. I'm sure Dusty could use our support. Look at what he's done for use over the last few years.

18. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    I planned to make it out but over slept (got to bed at 6am..def had an interesting Saturday night). I'l be out next week though! We have to support our show!

19. Basura

Basura Formula Junior

May 1, 2008
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Full Name:
    Michael Basura
    Sorry to hear about this.

I never had the pleasure of making It to this show.

Maybe I will when this is all cleared up. Best of luck with this.
    The legal system can be a little bit of a headache.

20. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2005
    I really hope that everyone who has been a part of the car gathering at El Camino Plaza for as many years as it has taken place would stop being so frightened over the BS that been presented to us. Are you really going to let this stop you from enjoying your Sunday mornings, your time with friends, and great coffee?

I have been going to this event for so many years and I don't think we should just lay down and let it go away just because some guy shows up in a Security jacket, and is surrounded by a couple Police officers. You have to remember the Police are only there to protect Security from something happening to him. The Police are not there to tell you to leave. I have never listened to a Security guard/Rent A Cop before in my life and I am definitely not starting now. I have too many memories and great times at El Camino Plaza and I will continue to show my presence along with those who care to join me and my friends.

On top of all of this, Village Coffee Roaster is one of the few remaining Mom and Pop coffee shops that really cares about their customers. They offer a great cup of coffee and have a great staff. The lack of presence by the car community means that they aren't getting the business that they are used to and that they need. Doesn't loyalty and friendship mean anything to everyone that has been going to SCS for all these years. Don't let bullies stop you from doing the things you want. VCR is OUR coffee shop and Dusty is our friend. VCR looks to us for business and now everyone is abandoning it when Dusty and his employees woke up every morning, put a smile on their face, and brightened YOUR morning with a great cup of coffee.

So I really hope that everyone will start to see that this is OUR show, OUR lot, OUR friends, OUR coffee shop, and OUR Sunday. Please let's not let these bullies stop us from enjoying what is ours.

Please everyone continue to show up every Sunday, buy your cup of coffee, and stand up for what you want.

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Copy and paste this in an email and send it to the Daily News every day until they publish it!

Great post! :):)

22. SLO Ride

SLO Ride Rookie

Oct 12, 2009
    I really hope that people think this through. There are several points to address here.

#1 is that this starts and ends with the property management. Nothing they have tried has worked well enough to satisfy the people complaining. So if I were in charge of the property and under pressure to remove the SCS/VCR, what would I do? Lawsuits? Restaining Orders? Trespassing Arrests? Demand Police enforcement (tickets for tinted windows, modified exhaust, no front license plate, etc)? If that doesn't work, maybe cancel the lease for VCR (or at least not renew it)?
    It would be better for everyone if instead of turning this into a war, we could open up dialog and try to find an agreement that works for everyone.

#2 The Police aren't there just for the security officers or the process server. Ask them and they will tell you that they are there to "keep the peace" for everyone and because the management company asked for Police help to remove the car show event. Can they do that? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on if the management company wants to open up the liability of making private person arrests.

#3 I have enjoyed this event (in one form or another) for almost 20 years and followed it as it has been sucessfully kicked out of 4 different locations. I want it to continue, but as the bumper stickers say "war is not the answer". It's not the foulmouthed security officers, the process server with his paperwork, or the police officer that is following orders to go write tickets, that is the problem. The problem is that some businesses complain to the property management and management has to take action. If the rest of the businesses get together in support of the event, there is power in numbers and perhaps we can find a solution that will work for us all.

The choice is ours to make. Take the position of "they can't tell us what to do" and get into a battle with property management which will lead to lawsuits, restraining orders, and traffic tickets (lose-lose situation), or we can see if there isn't a way to save the lawsuits, save the customers, and save the SCS/VCR.

23. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I was out there this week and nothing happened except that all of the people involved stood around with arms folded and sour looks on their faces. I was one of the car owners served by the process server and have consulted with an attorney.( who basicly said the landlord's lawsuit was bullsh.., but likely to prevail)

There is some question as to weather or not the attorney for the shopping center can obtain our identities from the Liscense plate numbers of our cars.

Does anyone have any legal knowledge as to this question, it seems to have been interpreted both ways in the past. If served you have to file an answer with a $ 335.00 filing fee within 30 days of service and appear for the hearing on New Years Eve or risk an automatic judgement by default if the shopping center prevails. Amount of damages potentially significant. It was recomended to be represented by legal council at the hearing. It would make sense to have one attorney represent all of us to save money.
    Please PM me if you have been served or consulted with an attorney.

24. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Do you think?? A license plate identifies a car, and the registered owner, but not the person who may be driving it at any given moment.

25. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Pierce College and Valley College have large parking lots that are generally empty on the weekend...