One touch up & down mod to Spider | FerrariChat

One touch up & down mod to Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tom(Atl), Oct 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1 Tom(Atl), Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    Does anyone else have the Intellitop installed in their 360 Spider / F430 Spider?

It looks great from the video, as if the raising/lowering of the top may finally be as good as my BMW top with this mod (or perhaps better, as I still have to hold the button on my BMW).

One touch up and down, and while moving, not bad. I want to order it but would like feedback first. Anyone have it installed?

oops, here's the video: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ferrari+intellitop+demo

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have this system in my Porsche, works great, but Ferrari tops can be fickle at times, not sure I'd want it on one.

3. Patentman

Patentman Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2004
    Boston/Delray Beach
    Full Name:
    Barry W. Chapin
    How much $$?

4. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ok, I had it installed yesterday! Now I can have the top up by the time I reach my parking space, and can put it up on the road while in motion (up to a certain low speed) - but my favourite part... put it down while driving away (no more sitting there and waiting first)!

Not sure how I lived without it this long... paid $650 including installation and it took a very short time to install (minutes).

5. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    is it just a relay that is plug and play or does it involve cutting & splicing wires ?

6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
  7. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a small computer that plugs in (no cutting).

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I did a quick search on the web and didn't see where it was for sale. Yes, I found the video but no sites selling the item. Where did you get yours?>

9. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bought from the same site that made the video:

http://www.cartronics.com/Ferrari.html

10. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    This looks fantastic and personally I'm not much disturbed by the questions of the poster's relationship to the developer in that thread.

As was posted in that thread I'd love to see a video from outside the car at 25 mph.

My only concern is what happens when the top has one of its little malfunctions as these tops are known to do on occasion...?

Do you just reverse the action and start over like you would the old-fashioned way?

11. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Did you install it??? Where did it plug in? If not, who did? Thanks

12. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No, I probably could have, but I watched him plug it in, it literally took a couple of minutes.

13. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Where does it plug in?

14. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Only thing I do not like is the maximum of 25mph operation... Think of a wind gust along with 25mph of wind knocking something out of alignment...

If it were me I would do 5 mph MAX where no chance of wind stress could harm a very intricate top frame.....

Wonder if you can spec order a lower MPH maximum open...?

15. siverson914

siverson914 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    > Wonder if you can spec order a lower MPH maximum open...?

Ummmm... Just drive slower? Why do we need computers to try and protect us from ourselves so much?

-Steve

KC360 FL likes this.
  16. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you accidentally hit the button or your rider while car is moving?
    Your car is already protecting you by not having this installed from Ferrari. My question was a safeguard. I also have a Lexus sc430 it limits to 5 mph + or - its a nice feature to limit speed. I would rather be corrected automatically than spend a couple grand because of too much wind.

EastMemphis likes this.
  17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I agree with Chris............it would be an expensive fix.

18. AJTozzi

AJTozzi Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2006
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony Tozzi
    Ditto -- where does this install?

19. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    My M6 works up to 20 mph.

20. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It plugged in right behind the drivers seat, at the top controller box. It took the guy about 2 minute to plug it in, and snap the panel back.

The M6 is only 20 mph? My BMW 135i works well over 20 mph, I think up to 35 or 40 mph. But then it does something really stupid - if you exceed the speed, it FREEZES top operation at whatever point the top is at that time, probably leaving it more prone to damage (as you could potentially accelerate to 100 mph or any speed) and it would still be stuck in the halfway up position! Very bad engineering IMO. My Ferrari's / intellitop engineering is not this stupid...

My other point about the BMW is that with any of these applications that allow the top to go up, you probably still need to have an IQ of at least 70 to operate it (don't accelerate viciously to top speed)...

So, do you really think if a 35 mph wind came while you were putting the top up from a standstill, that it would break the top? Perhaps if the top was made out of twigs and tarp! :) The top comes up folded in half, so it doesn't 'catch' wind except for when the front half is exposed, which looks like it is about 1 to 2 seconds.

If you do 0-100 runs out of your garage door into a tornado while the car is cold, this product probably isn't for you...

The point is this makes my life a bit easier and saves time. It is reliable so far and has made me smile each time I used it.

21. sbv138y

sbv138y Rookie

Sep 6, 2017
    Singapore
    HI, can anyone advise if this one touch module is still available, I google but cannot find it anywhere.

22. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The 'smart' top is made by Mods4cars. Can be researched at https://www.mods4cars.com/ (NO affliation).

Personally I wouldn't do it because our Spiders are too finicky and temperamental.
    Being able to release the open/close button and immediately cease operation is paramount to me to prevent any permanent damage.

My top works 100% so far because I do a lot of preventative maintenance and I say nice things about it.
    Oh, and a quiet 'please open' or 'please close' and 'thank you' after a successful operation also goes a long way.

Seriously!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cole328, EastMemphis and Skidkid like this.
  23. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Price on the site is $$379