Anyone seen video of a manual 612? | FerrariChat

Anyone seen video of a manual 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by mrp_e, Oct 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Been trolling all the usual video sites out there, haven't found one. That's what I have my eye on. If anyone has seen one, much appreciated. I have a feeling it will only come from an individual, as all the online road test magazines and TV shows were only given flappy paddle versions to test. Thanks very much.

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
  3. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    cool, i'm looking for anything. the usual - inside the car, through the gears, the works.

4. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow, your 612 really man handled that Ford GT. I figured the GT would be a little quicker than a 612. Nice car! Is your car stock?

thanks,

Jim

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It has a few upgrades that I did personally. The Ford GT driver was surprised.

6. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    care to share the upgrades - that video was excellent!

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    more power, Doug? :D

8. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Yes - If 12 cylinders is capable of out running a Ford GT I need to know!

Either that or its time to find a 360 Novitec

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I built that car and then had a write up in Forza magazine about it. ECU mods, custom headers, custom converters, custom final mufflers, intake mod, custom wheels with custom tires etc., etc. But the biggest thing was the custom gear ratio (ring & pinion) that I had commissioned to match the mods. 0-60 3.24 seconds. I am the only tuner that has accomplished that one to date. It took a lot of effort.

It makes for a completely different animal - and all without the add-on of turbos or blowers. The car is mind numbing.

Fun.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you know, Novitec does a Scuderia package now... :)

11. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    If I can get the 612 to this guys numbers ... scud dud!

So tell me where to begin!

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 Michael B, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can get your 612 to those numbers, it only takes money.

The exhaust (headers, converters, pipes, muffler) $21,000. + installation. The ECU programming (two units) $8000. installed. The ring & pinion $22,000 + installation. A few more hundred on the intake mods / some dyno tuning & new Pilot Sport Cup soft rubber - then buckle up buttercup its a rocket.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    i remember that story, in fact re-read that issue couple weekends ago. very cool, thanks for sharing. and please feel free to post more vids! would especially dig seeing anything from the inside to get a feel for the driving, noise, etc. i've got a manual 612 in my sights within the next 18 months (budget permitting), to park next to the 365 boxer.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So is the additional acceleration largely a result of gearing?

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Once I had done the ECU upgrade the car was more fun. But then cleaning up the intake & exhaust path (loud) made the car just plain exciting. We lightened up the car the best we could and drove it a lot. It was superb - but so is the sister 599... And we wanted better than that. So I got to work on a proprietary rear gear. It was a huge undertaking. Several countries, lots of contacts, special metals, engineering everything to the highest detail (with little to no help from Ferrari no matter how much I sweet talked them), but... That was the ticket. The blessed car absolutely transformed. At that point the ECU and others changes all worked in unison. The car was now like steering a bullet. If the traction control was off it took all you had to keep the car straight in 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Response was/is instantaneous. No turbo lag to consider, no parasitic loss from a supercharger either. It is all power and its all right now - no waiting.

It took my gear & Pirelli helping me with special compound one off tires to get the acceleration you speak of.

Now our next project is tuning a Panamera Turbo. Looking for 2.9 to sixty, no need for special tires. ;)

-K1- likes this.
  16. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    50 - 55k not bad at all. Is there a happy medium would like to keep my sport exhaust?

17. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 Michael B, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I tried with three different exhaust (stock was HGTC, then Tubi, then Fuch) and none of the "quiet" versions made dyno power. Then I swapped out the headers and converters (we actually rented another 612 to help with this/to get it right) then it made power.

So no, stockers will not have the same effect. We had to go big.

But it was all worth it, even with the unbelievably tight tolerances we were forced to work with.

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'll bet if you did the gearing all by itself, you'd get most of the performance gain. At a penalty at the top end, of course, but that probably doesn't matter.