Aloha from Kauai | FerrariChat

Aloha from Kauai

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by GTVeloce, Jul 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My first post here on FC. This looks like a friendly forum and thought I would give it a try. I am on Kauai and looking to buy a nice 328. I selected that model for all the usual reasons and hope to find something by the end of the year. You local guys have any leads on any clean car for sale?
    Mahalo, Dennis.

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Dennis

Welcome to F-Chat and welcome to the Hawaii section. I hope you can find a car. Kauai is a beautiful green place, but a little Ferrari red (or any other color) would be a great addition.

Aloha

3. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks for the warm wishes, sowest! There is no doubt that a rosso Ferrari will add just the right touch to the green Garden Isle. And thanks for the other information you shared with me. Very much appreciated and very helpful.
    I will keep looking, knowing my 328 is out there somewhere! It just has to find me... :=)
    Aloha, Dennis on Kauai

4. Poidog

Poidog Rookie

Aug 2, 2008
    Kauai, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Welcome Amigo. There're a few Ferraris here on Kauai, including a red 328 that seems to be in the shop quite a bit in Puhi... and of course the Enzo in Kilauea. I've been lurking here for a year or so and hope to buy a 308 after I sell my 3 classics. I wouldn't consider buying one if not for the technical support that can be found here on FC. I do my own work and still am worried about parts cost. We'll see... PM me if you want to chat.... Aloha, Dean

5. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi, Dennis,

Just spent a few days on Kauai in a cabin on Barking Sands. What a beautiful place! I was flogging a rented minivan (loaded with relatives) up and down the Waimea Canyon Road and thinking how much fun it would be to do it in a 328.

I live on the Big Island and have a 328 (which is not for sale). I know of no one here with such a car for sale. You'll most likely have to bring one in from the Mainland. I had to do that with both the 328 and the old Alfa GTV I have. Your F-Chat name indicates you, too, may be an Alfista?

In any case, welcome to the forum, and good luck!

6. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hi Marco, I'm glad you enjoyed Kauai. The road up to Kokee Park is great and would be even better in your 328, no doubt! I enjoy it myself when I'm on the Westside. I go to the Big Island fairly often as I'm trying to sell some land I have there, just outside Captian Cook. Saddly, the market is very bad and lenders just aren't lending to potential buyers.
    I have had two Alfas, both 1967 models, and both beautiful step-nose coupes by Bertone. One was a 1300 GT Junior and the other was a 1600 cc GT Veloce. Both wonderful cars and I sincerely regret selling them.
    Where are you located on the BI? If you hear of any nice 328s for sale please let me know. I am in the market.
    Aloha from Kauai, Dennis

7. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi, Dennis,

I live near Akaka Falls on the Hilo side. Look me up if you're over this way. Cheers!

8. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Ok! Next time there I may just do that. I'm usually go to the Kona side to check on my property. The drive around the Big Island is really fun. You lucky guys actually have great roads and places to go that take longer than 1/2 hour! Sometimes I miss that here on Kauai.

9. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Ok, I give up - have been to Kauai several times, love it & people, etc. :)

HOWEVER, where does one open it up a bit with an F-car on that tiny island? Yeah, great for cruisin' all of about 20 mph, but 4th or 5th gear?? Anywhere ??????

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

On the Big Island you would only need first and second gears. maybe when Saddle Road is finished there might be some driving fun to be had. PM me about your property at Cap Cook. We are looking for something a little further out of Kona.

11. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Well, Kauai is about 550 square miles, so it's a decent size. The problem is that it is a 6 million year-old volcano with an almost inaccessable interior. Additionally one part of the coast is high sea cliffs (Na Pali Cosst) so the road cannot go around the entire island. No freeways, no divided highways, but many fun twisty roads. I am sure that a nice 328 will be very happy here! Not too cold, not too hot, just right.
    This would NOT be a good place for long-distance high-speed touring car.

12. adam76

adam76 Karting

Aug 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #12 adam76, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    i make it out to Kauai almost yearly, its a beautiful place to be! many times i had hoped to find a decent exotic rental to enjoy for the day. it looks like the only option is maybe a viper, which would not provide the italian thrill im looking for, to properly enjoy the roads. any locals know of anything? ill be down there in September.

whats the story on the Enzo...id love to borrow that guy :)

almost forgot to add to try my man Grady (http://www.davisexotics.com/) he helped me find my last car, at an amazing price. He can facilitate transports as well, as he did for me. Good luck on your 328 hunt!

13. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I don't know of any exotic car rentals on Kauai; maybe Maui or Oahu. You can always rent a Ford and flog it up the mountain road to Kokee! The guy with the Enzo has 27 IIRC classic cars here. His garage curves around a lagoon. The side facing the lagoon is all glass, very beautiful.

14. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    What his name ????

I live on Maui, but travel to Kauai every once in a while, I too saw the red Enzo, near Kapaa on my way to Princeville..I was SHOCKED !!

someone on your island must know who he is, ive heard "real estate developer"
    but thats all, any clues to this stranger's identity ?

15. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I know him and have seen his car collection. However he is a very private person and does not want to be publicly identified. I will tell you that he is self-made and is wealthy as a result of a brilliant concept first executed here on Kauai, now worldwide.

16. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    any clues on just WHAT the 'brilliant concept' might be ???

17. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    Gotta be time share Bra. What else is there on Coweye ?? ;)
    Too bad the ferry was so well received there or you could have gone looking and driven your new baby home. :(
    The 512 BBI in Honolulu might as well be in Kansas for all the good it does anybody on the out islands. By the time Young Blooders gets through delivering a car you might be better off to have shipped it from Kansas!:)
    Don’t go thinking I don’t Love Hawaii and love living here (on Maui) but the dumb **** that goes on here in Hawaii still gets to me now and then; even after 33 years. Maui No Ka Oe!!
    :) :) :)

18. adam76

adam76 Karting

Aug 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Just got in yesterday to Kauai...was pleasantly surprised to spot a Maroon Maser QP on the way up North!! Anyone from the forum? What does one do about servicing on exotic on this island??

While there aren't tons of roads to go cruising, I sure wish I had one of my cars with, thinking the GT-S, I could easily enjoy these roads a bit!!

19. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
  20. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Good find ken......

I'd love to see that garage. Any chance he'd let you post some picts?

21. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I have talked to the seller via email. I was on Oahu last week and opted not to take a look at his car. I did see another 328 Euro that is interesting. The Craigslist car looks to be a nice car if the buyer is good with a 328 that has been quite heavily modified. It is probably improved over the original, but it is not an original car at this point. Most likely a very nice daily dirver. Price seems reasonable.

22. azzkikr9

azzkikr9 Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mr. G
    Completely understandable...having never owned a Ferrari, much less and Enzo, I can totally see why this person wants to be as inconspicuous as possible (kinda hard though when you own an Enzo). The only thing we Ferrari afficionados can do when visiting Kauai is hoping to catch the car and its owner at the right place and at the right time. I will be traveling there in August for my 2 year anniversary and I can tell you it would be awesome to see this car in a setting like Kauai!

If the owner of this Enzo lurks around the forum, please, come in and introduce yourself...believe me you'll be very happy you did :)