Problems with my directional lights, part 2 | FerrariChat

Problems with my directional lights, part 2

Discussion in '348/355' started by Intheflesh, Oct 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    so, i FINALLY (after literally a year) started to investigate the problem with my right blinker not working.

First did the obvious stuff like checking for popped/lose fuses, loose relays, dirty connections, etc. Next I opened the steering column to check the connections at the switch. i disconnected the plugs, gave a quick look to see if anything was dirty or loose. and then plugged everything back in. NOW NIETHER BLINKER WORKS fawk. so i really need to figure out this problem. I have an inspection next month, and planning on going to a rally this weekend.

any suggestions? heres the cliff notes and important stuff:

when i put the directoinal arm in either the up or down position NOTHING happens. No clicking sounds, nothing.

my hazards work fine.

it first started as an intermittent problem, but now neither work. i imagine that its just a loose ground somewhere that i disconnected in my fumbling around. i just dont know where

Does anyone have a wiring schematic, that would be a start.... :)

2. technician F

technician F Karting

Sep 15, 2009
    #2 technician F, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have experience in F355 is left hand side direction light not work.Finally i found that no.37 ( DIRECTION LIGHTS ACOUSTIC REPEATER)in the parts diagram failure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    ah thankyou very much!!!! this could be exactly what i am looking for.

are 36 & 37 the same part, but for the right and left? silly quustion, are these parts located in the passenger footwell area like the fuse box?

4. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Had same issue. if both don't work then you may have switched the hazard relay with the turn signal. They are different. Check them. I replaced both relays and now everything is fine. Make sure you get the correct relay. Believe it or not they have the same part number but are different. The hazard has 3 prongs and the turn 5 I think. Call Ricambi America. They will make sure you get the right one. If they are reversed then neither will work. if there is a bad turn signal relay then then one or both won't work

5. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    hmmm

i dont think i swapped any relays. i took them out one at a time.

the problem started as just one not working, now both arent working. my hazards still work.

later on today i'll open the car back up and see what i can find

6. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    ok, so im in the car right now looking at the passenger side fuse box. why cant i see # 36, 37, 38?

7. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    #7 Intheflesh, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found the three relays from the pic, but dont know which are which.

K, non DIY guys can look away now. I wanted to have a nice open view of my work space, so i decided to rip the dash off.

One of the relays says "segnalatore acustico' on it. i assume this is the acoustic repeater?

anyways, heres pics of what i found. I also noticed that the 'segnsalatore acustico' wasnt screwed into anything. I assume it would need to be grounded to something. i wonder if this was the source of my problems to begin with? but i tried grounding it and nothing changed.

anyways heres pics

8. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    after taking another look at the schematic, is it safe to say that pic 2 shows #36 & 37, and pic #3 shows part #38?

9. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #9 Orthoferrari, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    #36 and #37 are two different parts with the same part numbers lol. Its true. I just went through this myself. 36 should be on the left closest to the door and is the turn signal relay. It has 5 or 6 prongs. #37 is the acoustic relay and is to the right, it only has two or 3 prongs, it also has holes in it where number 36 is a solid box. The hazards will work with a good #37 and a bad #36 still in place. The turn signals need both in to work. It doesn't matter right or left. They are both controlled by the #36 part. One side can work and the other not, it doesn't matter its still part #36. The reason one side worked and now both don't is from messing with them. Its a very fragile part and if you open it up and look at it it is a flimsy circuit board inside a large box. They break very easily when you pull on them.
    Also don't forget the fuses under the passenger floor. After getting everything back together I must have shorted a fuse. I couldn't understand as I had just replaced both relays. It turned out that after replacing both I had blown the turn fuse.
    So
    1. Buy a new turn relay (#36) from Ricambi(tried multiple people they were the only ones that knew that #36 and 37 had the same part numbers but were different)
    2. Replace the fuses for the turn signals

10. Orthoferrari

Orthoferrari Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Clearwater, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #36 and #37 are two different parts with the same part numbers lol. Its true. I just went through this myself. 36 should be on the left closest to the door and is the turn signal relay. It has 5 or 6 prongs. #37 is the acoustic relay and is to the right, it only has two or 3 prongs, it also has holes in it where number 36 is a solid box. The hazards will work with a good #37 and a bad #36 still in place. The turn signals need both in to work. It doesn't matter right or left. They are both controlled by the #36 part. One side can work and the other not, it doesn't matter its still part #36.
    Also don't forget the fuses under the passenger floor. After getting everything back together I must have shorted a fuse. I couldn't understand as I had just replaced both relays. It turned out that after replacing both I had blown the turn fuse.
    So
    1. Buy a new turn relay (#36) from Ricambi(tried multiple people they were the only ones that knew that #36 and 37 had the same part numbers but were different)
    2. Replace the fuses for the turn signals

11. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    #11 Intheflesh, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    bumping another old thread.

finally gotten of my lazy tush and ordered both relays to be sure. still nothing. im guessing the fuse might be blown bc now neither works. will check it out in the morning.

im too tired to get out in the garage right now

chris, thanks for the info. great post