308 QV Exhaust Headers-Help needed! | FerrariChat

308 QV Exhaust Headers-Help needed!

Discussion in '308/328' started by myfazzman1, Oct 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. myfazzman1

myfazzman1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    G'day guys

My 1984 308 QV(Australian delivery)but what Americans call a Euro, has developed a nasty rattle/vibration in the front(nearest rear window)exhaust header.

Yesterday I got under her(not easy without a garage hoist!))and confirmed the rattle/vibration was coming from the front exhaust header because it stopped as soon as I held onto the header(with gloves)whilst the engine was running!When I let go,the header rattled/vibrated again!

I observed the headers appeared to be the USA market types with the AIR injection posts (factory plugged) and wrapped around by heat shields.However in our market we never had cat. converters at the time or air pump and the rest of the exhaust appears to be the original untouched ANSA factory system of the period!

I read all the threads I could find and I think what has happened is that the heat shield around the header has come loose. My questions are:

How is the heat shielding secured around the header,is it bolted or welded?

Can it be secured with the header still in place or does it need to come out?

If the header needs to be removed I understand from what I've read on this forum its either engine out or RH side fuel tank removal job,yes?

How many hours of labour required either way?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The aluminum cladding is packed with asbestos, I believe.

It's simply clam shelled around the tubes and seam welded closed.

I'd imagine the packed material has burned out or I have even seen the aluminum melt around the edges on a 'glowing header" malfunction.

Your dilemma I'd try two things:

Try to reach and hammer punch the cladding tight to the tubes again and see if this will tighten it sufficienty.

You could dremel tool the welds open and peel the whole metal cladding away and trash it.
    I doubt this would be possible, the way the frame blocks access at points of the routing, but...maybe.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #3 BigTex, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The cladding can conceal cracking.....

I have had both headers shatter violently at the four to one collector fitting, leaving a fist sized hole and lighting the hoses and belts on fire...

At least open headers you might catch this, before disaster.
    Stainless replacements are available..Quicksilver, IIRC

It'll come out the RH side with tank removed and engine mounting bolts out, you jack the engine slightly and gain room.

It's much easier, blown into three pieces, of course....:rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dear Santa,

Bring three pair please, I have been a GOOD boy, all year..

Love,
    Alan

PS I'll leave milk and cookies, and some carrots for the reindeer!

5. myfazzman1

BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    Big Tex

Thanks for the advice,sounds like its fun times on the car ahead,LOL NOT!

And people reckon the only " colourful characters " are here down under.....

Cheers,

Pete

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm coming over 'walkabout' one day, hopefully!

"No, mate...THIS is a knife!"

*reaching into pocket*

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Truthfully, if you can get access, tightening the openings where the piping exits the cladding may be your fix...

The header shattering was the FIRST thing I had to tackle, on my car...

It sat six months before me and my buddies drinking beer got brave enoung to just start taking the car apart...

Discovery: It's just a car....LOL!

8. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    While I was shopping for my car, I inspected two Mondials that had those shields pretty much smashed in at three to four places. I was puzzled as to why someone would do that. The mechanic doing the partial PPI told me that he has seen several Ferrari's like that, the shelds rattle, it is too much work and money to properly fix it by replacing the headers so the mechanics just "secure" the shields to the exhaust by pressing it.

It may help you to drive around without the rattle until you get to it properly.

Just a comment.

9. BAturb

BAturb Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have a spare header in my garage, if you need one or require detailed pics of said header let me know, and it is possible to change the front header with the engine and fuel tank still in place, if you want to know more pm me with either your number or e-mail

10. myfazzman1

BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    Hi All

PM sent mate!

Cheers

Pete