Daytona -- added market value of complete set of books and tools | FerrariChat

Daytona -- added market value of complete set of books and tools

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by kmeighannj, Oct 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    Question to the experts -- In this market, for two "identical" cars, what is the added market value of having complete books and tools? In other words, what should one subtract from what you would otherwise pay for one versus the other? I know it's unlikely to be exact but a range?

Kirk

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

<$10K ??

FWIW that is a totally uneducated guess based on just what I have read here over the years.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd say, and I don't own one, but 10 -- 15K might not be an unreasonable sum..

And it would not restore the difference in "care" that the present tools and books represent, if you get my drift....

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    $5K is the current value of the 308GTB tools and books, and that car is $30- $40K...

5. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    Although prices may be down somewhat now, a complete set of books for a Daytona got up into the $7k range and a complete toolkit roll perhaps $15K. For the late cars with the suitcase toolkit, perhaps $3-4K.

A lot of toolkits and books have been "lost" by POs and Dealers. New owners have had to find replacement sets.

I think having the original warranty card and service receipts is a big plus, but it is hard to place a value on those.

Some tools are VERY hard to find. I have been looking for a correct set of pliers for my car for 4 years, to no avail. For shows, I borrow my buddy's set.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think having the original, complete books and tools tells you something about the particular car-- namely that it's been taken care of through the years. That may be worth more than the value of the books and tools purchased separately.

What's the differential between an average, no records, no books and tools, passed around through 10 or 15 owners, Daytona, and a one or two owner, original car with complete history and original books and tools?

7. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    First off, there is no such thing as identical cars. As far as books and tools, it depends on if condition, quality and authenticity are important to you. The condition of the materials varies. If you are looking at tool kits that mostly consist of original items, it will cost more. A mix of original and re-pro items will cost less. As far as the pouch and books, the condition and what items are actually present is most important. Assuming you are after concourse quality tool kit with all original items (almost impossible to find) and mint condition books (there are many bits that come in a properly sorted set), you will spend $25K+ for tools and $25K+ for books easy.

Geno.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is a well written description of the point I was trying to make...

I suppose a flawless car could have had them ripped off, or something, but this says what I was trying to imply....

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good grief!

Geno takes it up to $50K!!!!

*fainting*

10. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    ... trip to Sears, Kinkos ;)

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #11 JazzyO, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    I think we're getting confused here. The question was: what will the value of books and tools ADD to the value of the car? The question was not: what will it cost to attain them?

As with most things in classic cars, what you pay for it is more than what you will get back. It is also dependent on the market - the U.S. and Japan put more weight on these things than Europe. But I think a $10 - $15k increase in value is a reasonable assumption on a very good Daytona. If the car is not so good then the added value will be less, as overall condition of the car is the biggest determination factor of price. But as Geno said, tools and books also vary greatly in condition and therefore the added value varies greatly as well. If you have a Pebble Beach quality car and you want mint tools with it, all original and spotless, and complete, then you're going to pay the sort of money Geno suggested.

Onno

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #12 geno berns, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    I paid $7500 for what really is a brand new pouch and all correct books for my 365 BB. Virtually have no wear. Some thought I was crazy. The $4500 sets looked like they where a 1000 years old. Condition will dictate price. The 365 BBs have the same type of pouch as the early Daytonas. The prices for books for the 250s cars are astronomical. Looking for books and tools for my Lusso currently and getting sticker shock! May need to settle for re-pros.
    BTW, if you know going into a purchase that you will be showing the car you're buying, than knowing the cost involved in sourcing these materials is paramount. The value of the car should be effected dollar for dollar in relation to the cost of the materials.

Geno.

13. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    Yes, that is the question I was asking. I want to compare the cost of what I might pay versus the value that might be added, recognizing that it is not likely to be one-for-one.

Kirk

14. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Tool kits are 5000(reproduction items) to 10000(original)

The price of the tool kit is maximum added to the car value.

On upper end cars the cars generally considered without a platinum award, thus the handbook and tool requirement.

10-20 K for both items, condition and originality dependant

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    was told last week that two different brokers each sold a tool kit for a 275gtb4 for $28k. from the horses mouth, not heresay. the daytona tool kit is very similar. price of 4 cams and daytona spyders are similarly priced cars.
    ed

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day all,

I found this Ebay ad and was shocked at what the cost of these Daytona books... Is this the current cost of these books?... 5% (roughly) of the car's value? ... Yikes

Ferrari 365 Owners Manual Pouch Set Immaculate Daytona

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-365-Owners-Manual-Pouch-Set-Immaculate-Daytona-/160593925091?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item256424d3e3

Buy It Now: $21K USD

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the cardboard box is ultra rare and the condition of the pouch/books is incredible. if you want the best......
    ed

18. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    #19 steve meltzer, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My books and Shell cloth came in a very nice box, but it doesn't look like the one on eBay. Here's are two pictures. Not sure what the books and tools are worth, but along with a well documented provenance, they "drove" me to the car. Patrick Ottis's blessing didn't hurt either. steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    What is the value of a box and pouch alone?

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That doesn't look like the one on sale at Amazon, were there two types?
    How can you tell which car one goes with?
    Thank you

21. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I haven't a clue. Sounds like a question for Shaughnessy or master judge. s