ICD Fall Foliage drive - too cold? | FerrariChat

ICD Fall Foliage drive - too cold?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Oct 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At today's Italian Car Day, there was some discussion about postponing Sunday's mountain drive and picnic stop because of the unseasonably cold weather.

While sun is promised, remember that there was no rain in Saturday's forecast! And even with sun, the noontime temperature in Blairsville (probably the closest weather station to Vogel) is forecast to be 46, with a wind chill of 40! Hardly the best picnic weather.

Also consider that the Brazilian Grand Prix will be airing at about the same time on SPEED.

So what is it, fellas -- do we go or do we postpone?

2. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Jim....... I happened to be all over the mountain area yday (Clarkesville to Mark Of The Potter), up along Lake Burton, Up to Highlands NC....down 17/75....down Richard B Russel, and even though it basically was crappy drizzle all day (in the 40's). About 250miles overall.....still there is no substitute for a nice ride. (AND YOU HAVE PURE SUN TODAY).

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Gee, what happened to youse guys? With Bob's encouragement, I had a very enjoyable drive and picnic lunch -- by myself!

I waited at Chevron until about 11:40 and then headed north, via Suches, arriving at Vogel State Park around an hour later. I found a nice picnic table near the visitors center, in the sun and at lakeside, and ate the tuna sandwich I had brought, in peaceful serenity and reasonable warmth. Then I headed back home.

Traffic was generally light and non-problematic, though I had to follow a rather slow Buick Century with a full load of adults on the trip to Suches; fortunately they went straight when I turned right onto 180. And on the way back I found myself behind 5 pickup trucks in a line, none apparently associated with each other. I passed 4 when the road briefly widened to two lanes; when the one in front pulled off I quickly left the others well behind.

Foliage was not as colorful as I had hoped, but the cloudless blue sky looked wonderful after all the Seattle-like weather we've been having, and road conditions were fine. OK, so I missed the Brazilian GP, but I saw the highlights on the SPEED Report. (Congrats to Messrs. Brawn and Button for finishing what they started so vividly!)