Kind of Surprised... | FerrariChat

Kind of Surprised...

Discussion in '308/328' started by wazie7262, Oct 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
  2. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    It does look like a good deal. Too bad the top doesn't come off.
    That A/C better work good in that 115 degree heat!

3. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I called this guy Chris about this car back in March. He said it was his father's who had passed. He and his brother decided to buy a TR....
    I told him I was very interested and would like to fly out to see it. Never heard from him again....

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I know that there are QVs out there for less. There is missing information - last major for example. That would add another $5k beyond the purchase price pushing you closer to $40 for a nice car.

I am also not a fan of the body colored front bumper, but thats just me being picky.

PDG

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not just you. It's an automotive fashion disaster and suggests low regard for car.

6. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As a shopper, I looked into this car because it's a late euro and I'm not interested for several reasons. Not much info on that "cam belt service" and how much it entailed, but that's not it. A black interior is just plain hot in the south, the red bumper is not good, and it's sitting on metric wheels. That's enough to make me take a pass, but it does look like a decent car for someone who likes the look.

7. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah...all good points. I bet one could get them down to 27-28K, though, seiing as how the thing has been on the block for some time. The only reason I really notated this car is the fact that it's a "B", which, as y'all know, is somewhat rare...and a Euro to boot. But...the metric tires would be an issue; not sure about the red bumper...I think that may be a fairly easy fix. Anyway...

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    +1 - where are the cheaper QVs?

9. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I saw it and had a passing interest. The fact that it's a late QV and a GTB are both pluses in my book. The painted front bumper is cosmetic and can be fixed. Questionable records is a big minus as are the TRX wheels. I had those on 635 CSi Euro; and the availability of decent tires is a negative. Perhaps a buy at $28k?

10. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    It says new tires, so they should have many years left before one needs to think about changing to 16" rims or sourcing some TRX. It also says the belts were done in Sept of this year. What is so questionable?

11. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's just that there isn't much detail beyond "belt service" and you would need more information from the owner. The service may indeed be full, but why not say full service or major? Also on the TRX wheels, I don't care if the tires are new, they handle like crap and the wheels just don't look nearly as good as the 16" wheels. So for me at least, immediate replacement is a requirement and that's 2-3k minimum off the price. You're talking at least a few hundred to get the bumper repainted, and then does that mean other questionable modifications? I don't know, but too many questions for me.

12. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Again, I think that if someone were interested, they could probably negotiate that price down with a handful of cash and pursuant to what has been noted in this thread, concerns/shortfalls-wise ;-)

13. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Probably true. Too bad the car is so far away. Suppose it's more accurate to say that it's too bad I'm so far away. It really is a negative when it comes to checking out F-cars.

14. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #14 wazie7262, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    GT Veloce...I guess it depends on where near the "Pacific Ocean" you are :) For example, checking out an AZ-based car when one is based in HI would be a problem. However, hopping a quick flight from say San Francisco could be done in a day. Then again, I guess it also would depend on one's motivation and "free time".

Cordially,

Scott p.s. there may be some southern AZ F-chatters who could look at the car for you ;-)

15. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Seems like a nice car to me. There's nothing in the ad that would scare me away other than the Euro status which would preclude anyone from California from considering the car. Bumper and wheels are an easy fix, big deal. Interior looks clean and they say the A/C is there and presumably works if it's an AZ car.

I love GTBs and would have given this car serious consideration back when I was in the market, if only I could scam a way to get it registered.

16. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I'm in Hawaii; Kauai to be specific.
    The car has an appeal for sure, and the cosmetics are fixable. There is quite a lot to like about it. The photos are not clear and it's very hard to tell what's going on with the front bumper. Are the parking lights there or have they been painted out, or???
    I read somewhere that QV wheels are forged magnesium. T or F.

17. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    True. The 16 inch Cromodora are magnesium.

18. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #19 GTVeloce, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks for the link, wazie. As a matter of fact I looked at that car about 3 weeks ago in Honolulu. At that time the owner said he would not go below $38k and was firm. I wish I knew more about the car. I have heard negative things about it from some, but others say it's fine. It may have been a rental in the late '80s. It's a Euro without documentation, not a problem here but could be an issue in other states. The service records are spotty and only cover the last few years. It needs the 30k full service as the current owner did it last when he bought the car about 10 years ago. I think the car is overpriced as it needs $4k to $8k of work done on it. Maybe at $30k... I should add that the car is clean and looks very nice. I did not drive it but it is driven every week.
    Owner just bought a 550 Maranello and now plans to buy a GT40. He needs the garage space. Problems, problems...

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    An '85 should have the 16 inch wheels so you have to wonder if a trade was made at some point. Original QV 16's can bring close to 4K/set. Repros cost around 2K but aren't mags I understand. The TRX wheels are close to worthless. I doubt it is very easy to get the paint off a rubber bumper. I would certainly find out before making an offer. I had a QV GTB years ago and it was a really nice driving car, much nicer than the GTS I owned previously.

Dave

20. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The bumper is easy. A couple hours of work, some sandpaper, and a can of SEM bumper black and it would be good as new.

I just happen to be in Tucson on business this week. I have no interest in buying another QV GTB since I already have one, but I'd be happy to go look at this car if anyone's seriously interested.

I leave town tomorrow afternoon so let me know.

Jason

21. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Jason, thanks for the offer to check the car out. I cannot say if I'm seriously interested due to the large number of unknowns about the car. However, as a QV GTB owner yourself, your opinion would be very valuable. You decide if you have the time / interest to go look at the car. If you do I [we] would like to know what you think.

22. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dennis, I love the fact that the Honolulu car has not had a belt/major service in ten years yet gets driven regularly...Russian Roulette anyone?...

I have seen this guy trying to sell the car for some time, so perhaps with a good PPI and and "negotiating" over price pursuant to the necessary major service...and in this economy...our new 550 owner and wanna be Ford GT owner might be willing to budge more than a little on his current 35K asking price? :-o

My best,

Scott

23. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    He will have to do something if he wants the garage space. $35k plus the way past-due 30k major could easily reach $45k. Ouch!

24. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    a major is not $10k on a 308.

the front bumper is a bakelite plastic material, not rubber or fiberglass. its easy to repaint.

my GTB QV is also euro, i think the red car is " ok" if you like red.

considering how few GTB Qvs there are, euro or not, i really wonder why some of you are so cautious. buy a car, drive it, and fix the small things as they come up.

i have been driving my GTB weekly here, as the weather is cool and clear.