What ever happened to manners ? | FerrariChat

What ever happened to manners ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dromer, Oct 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 dromer, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    People never stop surprising me. I have listed my QV with Sheehan for sale. Many of you got that blast. All respondents but one have made requests for info. Meet Sunday night ? Can you pick me up at the airport ? I will call you.......Please call me with..Then nothing..Silence. I'm asking $40, they offer $35k i counter 37K then silence again... No good luck ..too rich for me etc. Just silence.

I have to tell you i had a better experience the last time i sold a lawn mower. Really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Truthfully, the only person that showed interest and had the courtesy to close the loop by saying that he found a car and was no longer interested was a fellow F'Chatter.

Please dont misunderstand me. Im not complaining about the fact that the car hasnt sold.

Just venting.

2. david bentley

david bentley Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Saint Louis Mo US
    Full Name:
    David bentley
    Sorry to say
    Manners went out with common sense

Dave

3. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I haven't tried selling a Ferrari yet but when I listed an 86 911 locally 10 years ago I got a ton of phone calls, maybe 6 people came to look at it. After the fourth or fifth road tester was done grinding the gears I told the next guys no test drive until we have a contract.
    It was a great 2 owner car at a very reasonable price and I got no offers. My point is I think when you get to this level of cars there are so many dreamers with little or no money and so few buyers that are serious.
    This must be how so many Ferraris end up being sold by dealers. Guys in your situation get tired of the bother and sell it cheap to someone who can sit on it until it sells and doesn't mind dealing with the public. If you look at used Ferrais in general a vast majority seem to be listed by dealers.
    Sorry for your experience, yes there are a lot of rude people out there.
    I hope your luck improves,
    Tom B

4. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Obviously you haven't tried selling anything on Craigslist before.

:)

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Get used to it. I had some callers who said they would come and look in a few days and I never heard from them again. One thing I've learned is that I have trouble telling who is really serious and who isn't, so I talk politely with everyone. But if I get no further response, I don't let it bother me. The last car I sold, I had one local buyer try it out and we were negotiating when he abruptly just said "I'm out". I was 95% sure it was sold. I had given up on the ultimate buyer but then he called again and we had a deal within minutes. He said "I'm sending my mechanic with a trailer and a check tomorrow". You never know. I had one buyer some years ago that I offered to fax records to and gave references but he never even checked. He sent money basically on my word and I put it on a truck to him. Then there are the tire kickers. I try to just advertise in FML and word of mouth. This seems to greatly reduce the dreamers.

Good luck,
    Dave

PS: I think your car is really cool but it may take some patience to find someone who will actually buy that color combo.

6. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo

that is so true

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#7 Kds, Oct 23, 2009
    No offence to the OP, hang in there Dave, I've been selling cars for 20 years so I get it, but I always chuckle when I read threads like this because they inevitably are followed by, or have just been preceeded by....................................the "salesman at such and such a dealer treated my like **** thread" which was, or will soon be posted, by someone else looking to buy a car........ahhhh de car bidness.

8. mpaub1386

mpaub1386 Karting

Jul 7, 2007
    Cleveland, TN
    Full Name:
    Matthew Bottoms
    I feel for you on this one. I recently sold a bunch of stuff because Im getting ready to leave for basic. I had my motorcycle posted a few places (one of them being craigslist) and I actually had people text messaging me offers on it. I guess I am a bit old fashioned at the age of 23 but what the heck.

The first one I was like ok thats weird...then it happened like three other times with different people. Oh well...

9. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    I know know how you feel. I hate buying and selling cars because of the crazy people you have to deal with. I like to own them so I go through the hassle with each one I buy and sell.

10. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ebay no reserve. That's the only way I sell cars now. In one week it's gone and you don't have to deal with tire kickers. I've done this 3 times now and every time gotten more than I thought the car was even worth.

With three cars I've only ever had one person actually come see the car. When people try to make me meet them at the airport, I politely decline. Tons of pictures, good feedback, and a detailed description of everything really help.

Jason

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There's an element of fantasy for a lot of first-time Ferrari buyers. The female equivalent is probably losing your virginity or choosing your wedding dress -- the foreplay is as important as the event. If it was an ordinary $40,000 BMW, there would be no drama, but because it is a $40,000 Ferrari you have to put up with your share of fantasizers who won't buy your car, but want to feel like they're thinking about it.

Also, it doesn't matter how you price it. Someone will think that the $2000 they negotiated off the price of a Ferrari is a huge sum (until something goes wrong...)

Selling cars is usually a hassle, but there seems to be a lot less drama in selling Porsches, BMWs, Mercs, etc. I sold my 993 sight unseen to a guy in LA, for my asking price, and he didn't have any questions about the car or need counseling.

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    meh. i buy and sell casually as a collector. i dont have to sell them, and i make sure to buy what i like. i can usually weed out the tire kickers and cry babies early. but it can be a frustrating process to find anther caretaker for a Ferrari.

good luck to you.

you have a great car, and it will find a home.

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I sold my 993 sight unseen to a guy in LA, for my asking price, and he didn't have any questions about the car or need counseling."

Yeah, this PPI, freak out over records etc thing seems to be restricted to Ferrari's. Never even HEARD of a PPI until last year when I started looking for a 328. First guy that asked, "Are you going to get a PPI?" I had no idea what the heck he was talking about.

14. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Yup.

Closest I ever heard of it was for people in the market for big block mid 1960's Corvettes where there are twice as many currently registered as originally made, and a documented original can bring over $100K. If you were after an original car, you found a knowledgeable person to look at it to figure out if it was a clone or not.

I have no idea why people bother on a $20 or $30K car, unless it is to verify the car won't need $20K in mechanical work to get it down the street.

Doug

15. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave

Thanks All. Was kinda expecting a bunch of " Stop your Whining " responses. I do try to treat people like i want to be treated. Apparently that's what setup my unrealistic expectations... You know the stuff we are supposed to learn in Kindergarten.

16. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I think that the internet contributes to the scenario, too. The web has given these cars exposure to a lot of people who in the old days would not have had the intelligence, diligence, or patience to buy a 20+ year old, rare European sports car (i.e. knowing where to look, reading the books, searching for the right car, conducting business like a gentleman, etc.). Today, thanks to the web, unmannered, undisciplined time wasters can find just about any car and waste the seller's time.

17. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #17 luckydynes, Oct 23, 2009
    How about the ever common attitude right here of BUY BUY ONLY with PPI and documents because of the gurus that have owned cars "with no major issue" 'cause of said PPI/papers ... you don't think that fuels it?

I advise, "have some extra $$$ just in case". If you buy a museum piece from a guy and you're gonna drive it, I think you really don't know (contrary to advice here ;)). I think this is why guys get annoyed with these cars in a hurry ... they should be more than a P car from the same era out of the box ... I don't think they are (no quote from stupid R&T magazines please ;)) but can be ... so people need to justify why they're spending the money .. not only initially ... but long term.

The trade is ... depreciation or maintenance ... if you drive it that is. You should ask if they plan on saving the car for the next buyer ... that'll tell 'ya something :). I'm having fun just posting about this right now so don't kick me ... be a funny question to ask a buyer :). ... edit: or as a good buddy puts it ... "Are you a nut case?" :) :) ... I just luv that one ... and yes he sells a lot of cars LOL!!!!!

Just my .02

cheers

18. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Nope you are are in the right... in my book. Over the years we've lost manners. I think they went by the wayside with corporal punishment and dodgeball. Schools can't discipline kids so they don't even learn it there anymore. There is too much namby pamby fairness,feelings and political correctness and no common courtesy or manners!

But obviously by the replies there are a lot who agree so hang in there and hopefully you will find someone who has an ounce of decency and will be a good new owner!

Rick

19. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Whiner? No, I can't say that I think you are at all. I can't believe the whiny prospective buyers I've encountered lately. So many people think that e-commerce is an unqualified boon to automobile sales. Though I do think that in terms of market spread and price, e-commerce is an overall benefit to auto sales, I can't believe that it costs what it has in civility. I tried to buy an Isetta from a guy who had it listed on Ebay and over the phone when I proposed a PPI simply cursed me out and then hung up on me. Don't take it personally, and good luck with your sale.

20. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I feel your frustrations but this happens with nearly everything you try to sell via ads in the paper or online. You get some calls and some come to look at it, but almost nobody buys it. And it is common for calls to come in, with some conversation, and then they never call you back to follow up.

21. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Maybe, someday, people will rediscover good manners. There just seems to be too much aggression nowadays. Everyone and everything, has to have an "attitude". I've even heard cars advertised as having an "attitude". Just what I need, a car with an attitude. Jeez, what are these people thinking?

22. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #22 CliffBeer, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Until an agreement is struck people are free to walk away at any time. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't be polite in their dialog - they should. But if they take a look, say they're interesed but never call back, that's just the way it is. It's not rude, they just changed their mind, found a better alternative, moved away, had a baby, whatever. Don't get hung up on that.

In contrast, what is justifiably annoying is a potential buyer who consumes a seller's time and energy with test drives and chitty chat, but then reveals later that they were never a qualified buyer in the first place. That's just plain wrong, even if they were polite.

And, no deal is a done deal until the title sign off is done and the money has changed hands.

23. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am currently going thru the same issue. A follow up or "thankyou but it's not for me" would be fine but apparently common courtesy and professionalism are becoming extinct. In the age of e-traffic I suppose one can sit at home and not care about what the other person thinks...
    There are many "shoppers" out there but only a fraction of them follow thru with any real interest.

24. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I can't defend the examples of "poor etiquette", but given the current economic climate, you must realize that nearly everyone is looking for "bargains" and trying to buy big ticket items (like cars) at low ball prices. In other words, it's a bad time to be selling anything --- if you want to get high dollar for it, at least. This is just simple economics. If you don't wish to "fire-sale" your Ferrari, wait a year or two to try to sell :)

25. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you do post a vehicle (or anything) on eBay, you'll also discover that the vast majority of "bidders" who pose questions are never the ones who actually bid enough to win the item at auction's end.