GT5 | FerrariChat

GT5

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by tifosi12, Oct 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No, it is not out yet and we still have about 5 months to go, but never too early to start the hype. :)

As I was watching some of last year's episodes of TopGear I'm thinking to myself how incredibly cool it is going to be to have the Topgear track and try to match/beat all the various track records people and the Stig set on that track in various cars.

I bet that reason alone will make GT5 a huge success. In fact a friend of mine is going to buy a PS3 just for that very reason. Granted he likes racing games, but being able to mimick his TopGear heroes is what pushes him over the edge. And - just like me - he is not some young crazy kid, but a middle aged TopGear obsessed balding crazy family dad. :)

5 more months...

2. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I understand they pushed the release back a little bit to implement some better things into the game, but I still can't wait for it. I bought a PS2 for the sole purpose of GT3 and played 4 forever. Now I'm playing GT5p waiting for this release. It will be nice to have some Lambo's and Ferrari's this go around, and yes of course the Top Gear Track. :)

I'm also excited to try the Porsche / GTR runs at the Ring.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Same here.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #4 Bas, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm also getting a PS3 for the sole purpose of GT5. I've already got a G25 steering wheel (the one with full h-gated gearbox) but I'll be getting one of these (or getting one build locally I assume for a better fit):
    http://f1cockpit.com/?lang=en

(pic below with all the FREX stuff, no cockpit included)

Converting my wheel with more steering wheel mounted buttons (f1 esque):
    http://www.frex.com/gp/ffbwheel/index.html

Better pedals (the G25 one annoys me):
    http://www.frex.com/gp/pedal/index.htm

Gearstick with much better feel (their sequential one worked with GT4, so I assume they basically use the same in/output so it can work with GT5:
    http://www.frex.com/gp/shifter/index.htm

And this cool gadget (getting rid of annoying on screen HUD, won't work with GT5 I'm assuming):
    http://www.frex.com/gp/meter/meter01e.htm

And to top it of the virtualR tracker...place some sort of sticker thing on your microphone and when you move your head the camera in the car will do the same...pretty cool and inexpensive.
    Along with a brand new PC with some proper video cards and 30'' HD monitor. Should be set for the next 5 years I recon! My PC was crap 5 years ago and it plays most games (with the exception of games released after late 2008).

I normally only play Rfactor (great F1, F3, GP2 mods) and soon Rfactor 2. I think GT5 will be great, it will be like GT3 was for the GT series... This one has Spa Francorchamps on it which is reason enough for me to get it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #5 ryankjb, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Bas, those pedals are awesome!! I've never liked the ones that came with the G25 either. That shifter looks like it could be pretty cool too. The HUD never really bothered me before so I'll probably leave that out, but when this game comes out, I will def have to upgrade. Where can I find the prices for this things?

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

I won't be buying them as soon as I've got the game as I won't be back home until about august next year (will be working a lot before that).

I've just been searching some more and a lot of quality stuff has come out over the last year orso (I've been wanting the frex stuff for years, but all together its quite pricey).

some guy just made this...bloody awesome!
    http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=339397 (not sure if you can few it, I'll post the pics up if not:)).

7. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #7 ryankjb, Oct 24, 2009
    Man, that thing is awesome! It looks just like an F1 wheel.

I'll post a pic.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This looks all very cool and I'll be happy jumping on the bandwaggon once you have tested its compatibility against GT5 (and ideally other PS3 games like F1).

At the Montreal GP last year I got a chance to try out the F1 cockpit. It feels good, although it is just a static cockpit, but a nice way to cover up all the messy hardware, cables etc. If I'd buy one, I'd add a front suspension and wheels.

9. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'am also considering buying a PS3 just for GT5, it's going to be an insane game and i've had all the ones before so i thinking i MUST have GT5. And of course i'd love to drive the legendary TG track.

P.S. I'am that young crazy kid that loves TG and racing games lol.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The track itself is nothing special actually, they made the best out of a figure 8 configuration on a runway, but it is the measuring stick against the Stig in all the cars he drove there and against all the celebrities on the show in the Vauxhall. Taking all those on to me is the best challenge I can imagine.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Cool Andreas. I got to test out one of those cockpits too, although it had metal plates instead of fibreglass around it years ago at a carshow... The rig was setup with Granprix 4 and it was pretty nice (didn't move though). It was the last day of the show and as a then 14 year old I got the quickest time of everyone at monza (the rig was there for 6 days already, with only Monza as a track and a default setup). Won a prize etc.

The wires around steering wheels do annoy me too, especially with the G25 which has plenty of them. Frex (the company who makes that quality stuff) also made a 'shaker' thingy...you can add it on the F1 cockpit, its pretty solid and supports a lot of weight (the setup on their website shows it attached to a cockpit including seat and metal frame). Its pretty pricey though.

I hear codemasters is developping F1 2009 for PS3. Maybe we could have a miniseries if enough of people are interested next year. Online series during the race weekends when an actual race is held?

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #12 tifosi12, Oct 24, 2009
    Below are two pics: One was a "sim" set up by the Sauber folks in a museum in Switzerland, where they had a special exhibit of all their cars. Was static too. I liked the look and feel of it, very F1 like tight and you see the wheels etc. Sadly they had the game setup all on auto, oh well. That's me btw in the sim.

Second pic is the cockpit you refer to (at least I believe it to be the same). That's in a VIP tent at the Montreal GP. Again they had the game on useless auto-everything settings.

Now it starts to get interesting. I'd love some "shaker thingy", but not for the price of a real car. A couple of grants yes. 10k+ you're out of your mind!

It's an idea.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Those cockpits are cool. I'd like one like that but the suspension + wheels aren't necessary for me. I'm happy with a half cockpit so to say. Shame the ones you drove in where auto. The one I won the competition in (over 2000 people drove that sim in that week!) was set to semi auto (with paddles).

As for the shaker thing, the one from frex, with base, is just over $2000 US. With the weak dollar and strong yen it seems pretty expensive but when it evens out its surprisingly affordable if you ask me.

http://www.frex.com/gp/motion/motionpage1.htm

Supports pretty much all the sims for PC. They always develop their products so I'm not surprised if they get it working for GT5 when it's released.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Looks great for 2k. All depends on whether they support GT5.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyj13Bf3eKw

Fully functioning F2008 replica wheel made by some guy...On Rfactor (PC) ALL the buttons work, even the rotary buttons so you can change brake balance, engine setting, rev limit the lot...For someone like me who pretty much only plays F1 games on the PC this is a pretty cool gadget. Changing all sorts of settings with the keyboard or having to go to the pits for it is quite annoying!

16. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I meant legendary sa in VERY well known. And i quite like the TG track it's got abit of everything which is good considering it's only a couple of miles long........ if that.

17. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Very nice setups and ideas. Right now I use a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel attached to a dinner tray. :D I'm in the process of finding a decent wheel stand that won't bankrupt me.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If you are a bit handy or know someone who is get someone to build it for you. Playseats are good but the cheapest one is $500! Which imo is far too expensive for a bit of metal and a seat slapped on it.

The driving force GT (pro?) is a good wheel...I've had it before my G25. I've had plenty of wheels and I find logitech stuff the best (thats why professionals like FrexGP base their custom wheels on the internals of logitech, it lasts forever). Unless you want a clutch and H shifter, keep it:). Oh the G25 makes less noise over the DFP.

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Todd Cannon's pedals are even better than the Frex stuff, IMO.

The Frex SimCon Motion (shaker thingy) is cheap for what it is but it takes time and patience to set it up.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    His pedals do look good...Are they adjustable (so you can set the brake a bit wider when driving single seaters for left foot braking)?

21. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I saw a clip of a cool set-up on YouTube the other day from an outfit called Force Dynamics. I had never heard of them before, and from the looks of it, it can't be inexpensive, but seems like it would be cool toy once they get the inevitable bugs worked out.

22. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #22 Latsyrc, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    I found some Playseats Evolutions on ebay new for $300. Any opinions? I'll plan on getting one this week if the reviews are good. :)

EDIT: Found a Playseats Alcantara for about $230 also.

23. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Disregard the above post, I ended up ordering the black Proseats Evolution. :) Now I just have to wait for GT5 and I'm set for a while.

24. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I love my playseat.

It's already pretty scratched up, but i didn't buy it to look pretty:D