Anybody know this ebay Mondial | FerrariChat

Anybody know this ebay Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by wtrboy, Oct 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wtrboy

wtrboy Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
  2. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    #2 Jayo5, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    Can't say I know anything about the car but if you are considering purchasing it (which I assume you are) then I wouldn't be too concerned about the absence of records. The current owner may not have had Ferrari specific service done to to car during his ownership ('88-'09). Driven with care, these cars can run like a high volume production car of the same era. The car shouldn't be driven without serious caution to the fact that its belts are beyond dates. That being said the car may be an excellent example and well worth the price. But I say this as a big Mondial fan. Someone may argue that the car is worth less than the "Buy it Now" price and that without a PPI or history of service you could potentially take a huge bath (easily exceeding the asking price) at a dealer at your first "spare no expense" service.

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Might be a perfectly good car, but I'd want it given a good look over. I purchased an 87 with records all the way to 87 and few miles since last service. I paid close to the buy it now. This car appears to have non performance tires on it, (may indicate other shortcuts) tires look low like it hasn't been driven in a while. Seat leather is about done, I saw some cracks in the head rest and both front seats look sun bleached or it could be lighting, but I think a lot of new leather will be needed to make it right. Paint looks hazy or scratchy (could be lighting). They are great cars, a lot of fun, and it could be driven with cracked leather on the seats. I'm currently going through the mechanicals of my car and when done it will be interior, I have some bad leather too, then exterior. On the up side, the seller has a nice clean garage and a fancier car next to it. Good luck.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No pics of the engine hmm!

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I know of a black/tan QV Cabriolet coming up for sale soon, a few more miles, recent $15K engine-out service (no I'm not kidding), not much more than this car.

6. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    Still has TRX tires so figure some $$$ for wheel tire replacements

7. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You are being kind. Those seats are shot.

8. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    The owner doesn't know how to fold the top - that thing is sticking up way too far under the tonneau. I wouldn't be surprised if there's not some damage to the top.

9. lilredpo

lilredpo Rookie

May 18, 2009
    Franklin, MA
    Full Name:
    Ray Ivers
    Could the absorbent cloth on the floor be to protect the garage floor from a leak?

10. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    No records and he's owned it for 10 1/2 years!
    What did he do for that time period - just gas up?

I agree that it looks like the top boot cover is not (cannot?) be secured in the rear.
    This may mean the top doesn't (or the owner doesn't know how to) fold the top down correctly.

One doesn't put a blanket down under the engine if there isn't some sort of drip (leak) going on.

My advice is a thorough PPI and CarFax check b/f buying.

Good luck.

Cheers

11. wtrboy

wtrboy Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks Everybody!!
    I've emailed owner questions concerning some of the above items and more.

I love this site!!!
    Very fun and informative.

Anthony

PS. NNO I see your friends blk mondial on ebay now!
    I'm looking into gathering up bit more $$ to bid on that if this red one doesn't drop price.

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Current bid $60.00 Canadian.

Interesting to hear what happened here. It was a high needs car, wonder if it burned down or got torched, easy to insure these cars for more than market.

14. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I bet the real culprit is deferred maintenance.....ie old original fuel lines. That car burned from the engine bay forward.