Ariel Atom in CA? | FerrariChat

Ariel Atom in CA?

Discussion in 'British' started by Euromog, Oct 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
    Cool car but on website for USA supplier it says "sold for track use only for the US". Sunday I went to the ********** event in Granite Bay and one was driven in. It had out of state places. Then we drive over to Danville for the concours and there was another parked on the street! This one had CA plates. So question is how so legally?

2. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    #2 NORTY, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. wendys is good

wendys is good Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2005
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Im pretty sure ive seen a video of Jay Leno driving one around as well...

4. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As I understand it you can get some form of permit to construct a car in CA (but only a very limited number are issued each year). Once the permit is obtained the car is constructed and licenced.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Would that cage protect you in a roll over?

I could see adding a Hanz device to that......

6. cooleyjb

cooleyjb Rookie

Oct 20, 2006
    There is a full hoop that you can add to the chassis that is a no-brainer in my opinion. That central hoop isn't much more than a frame for the airbox.

7. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    I've seen 3 here in Illinois.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #8 Smiles, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    Registration and titling varies from state to state. There is indeed a way in CA.

I owned the only one to be titled (at least so far) in PA. I sold it to someone in the Chicagoland area. It has the full carbon body panels.

I regret selling it. I had a spine disc rupture, which required surgery. I'm healthy now, but I couldn't get into the Atom, much less enjoy driving it.

The big roll bar attaches with 3 large bolts on either side in a very secure way. I would trust it and the hardware in a rollover. But it's easy to remove for appearances.