Buying Nostalgia - Cars/Things from Childhood? | FerrariChat

Buying Nostalgia - Cars/Things from Childhood?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ryalex, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've noticed a lot of the guys on the board (me included) have bought or want to buy the cars that where the exotics when they were young.

I've been on a wierd frenzy on eBay trying to buy the old Sega video games I had as a kid, and I couldn't explain why to my wife when she asked me why I wanted 1988 video games when I have an Xbox with the newest games (currently on PGR2). She also cringes when I say I want a 328 or TR, because they're "so 80's."

I guess a lot of people are like this with music. And unfortunately, hairstyles :D. When I was starting college, I didn't *need* some new shoes but I dropped $130 on a pair of Jordans, mainly because I never had them when everyone else did when I was in elementary/high school. Was great for two months until someone stole them.

What is it that makes us want to finally obtain those things we wanted or had so many years ago?? Comfort? Nostalgia?

What do you think it's about?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Probably all of the above. Relive the happy times. You're not alone bt:

After I got a pinball machine, I bought a slot car track (see Fiorano in the Collectables section) and now I'm into the R/C car thing.

I have even thought about Outrun myself. Loved that game. Never really made it to the finish line, but close.

PS: Glad to see that I'm not the only one stuck in the eighties, my favourite decade so far. All was so fantastic over the top. 512 TR is just one example of that.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's pretty amazing but looking at my actual Hot Wheels collection from childhood, I owned many of the actual cars later in life! Kinda spooky.

I collect Pogo books, ya know... the possum by Walt Kelly.
    "We have met the enemy, and he is Us"

Used to share 'em with my Dad.

iloveferrari likes this.
  4. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Funny this came up because I was just looking at all the old classic Transformers and He-Man action figures on Ebay. I wouldn't mind some of those old Sega Genesis games either now that I think about it.
    My friend recently stumbled upon two old Ataris along with severeal games that I played for hours when I was a kid. After about ten minutes however I began to wonder how I did it. Then again there was no Xbox or Playstation 2.
    My taste for cars has grown with me however. I do tend to want alot of the newer cars though. I grew up dying for a Lamborghini Countach but don't think I would really like it these days. I guess it's because I have never really stepped away from cars and forgot about them. However back in the day Sega Genesis was THE system!:)

5. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    check out the amazing sales of old games like space invaders and asteroids on the net. by todays ps2 graphic standards they are dinosaurs but they are still fun to play!!

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah! Outrun, Shinobi, Double Dragon, WonderBoy in MonsterLand, After Burner... classics!

It's funny, I just bought my first little R/C toy - and I hadn't thought of it but when I was 12 I really wanted an R/C car for Christmas, but my parents said they were useless junk and refused. Well, I think it keeps you young, and your kids will have a fun dad who likes 'toys!'

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have no kids, but cats. So I chased them with my new R/C Ferrari all over the house. They finally hopped into the empty bath tub knowing full well the F1 car won't go there.

nicolaprince likes this.
  8. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    All the talk about the older gaming systems I have to tell you what I have in store for me this weekend. 3 friends and I are traveling up north to have a boys weekend and between the 4 of us we are bringing: Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Sega Genesis, Nitendo, Super Nitendo, Playstation, Playstation2 and the X-box. Not to mention some of the older hand held eletronic games like Football and Hockey. It makes me wonder why we are even bringing our skates to play hockey on the lake.

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I got a slot car set for Christmas that's very similar to the one my dad bought us when I was a kid. I remember the old track was so big we couldn't set it up very often. Now I'm racing with my kids. I've also given them a bunch of my old Hot Wheels cars. I've been looking for a HO scale train engine to match the one I used to have. I'll use it on my kids tracks. It's just nostalgia, and having the means to get the things you want.

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, unless it's Sato driving... who knows what the heck that kid's gonna do!

11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    BTW, I kind of stopped buying vintage games when my wife wasn't pleased I went and bought a Sega Genesis portable with a few games :(.

Then I found out about emulators! ;)

iloveferrari likes this.
  12. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I think its being able to afford what you have always wanted but could never have as a kid, I was crazy about the Ferrari Boxer and Porsche 930 and the 308 I read every magazine article over and over about them and dreamed of them constantly.

It just feels real good to finally get something you have always wanted but never thought you could have or no-one else thought you would ever own.

Aside from that I much prefer the older cars for many reasons, they had more character and are more raw than todays cars, to me Ferrari as a company is nothing without Enzo the creator, the Ferrari company was his baby from his hard work and decisions, the current management is enjoying success from his legacy.

13. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    When I was in Kosovo there was this Army LT who brought an old 8-bit (Original) Nintendo with him. After we got to be friends he brought it to work a few times and we hooked it up to the Generals briefing projector after hours and played Techmo Bowl for hours...playing Nintendo on a 10x10 foot screen...what fun!!

14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I get made fun of all the time for liking 80's stuff which was when I was growing up.

I have wanted all kinds of cars from when I was a kid. Especially a Lambo Countach. A year and half ago I had it in my head to buy one. I learned everything I could about them. I looked at a lot of them and when I finally drove one I was disappointed. I learned that I really prefer new cars to old ones. I don't care how well they are taken care of.

I look at old stuff from childhood on Ebay all the time. Haven't bought anything though because I know it will probably just end up in a closet. I mean, who really wants an old Stretch Armstrong? There is one on Ebay.

I still wear my 1988 Carrera sunglasses though.

15. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    We want those things to try and convince ourselves that we are not getting older. I know every time I look at a hot 18 yerar old girl, I feel young ( as long as the wife is not around)

16. Timbo

Timbo Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Portsmouth, NH
    Full Name:
    Timbo
    I can top you all. My 1st car ever, age 15 (yep, we could get our licence at 15 in Maine back in 1985 - scary!) was a red 1978 Subaru Wagon, 4WD. Miserable little tank of a car, about 40hp, but I loved that car so much, I had such great times in it, that I've always longed to drive one again.

Problem is, there aren't any left on the road. Mine had completely rusted out by 1987, when I sold it to a junk lot for $50. Surely the dream is dead...

Until now: <a href="http://www.mrprovidence.com/search/Pro_Details.cfm?V_Vehicle_GUID=4ba3e0bf-7f6a-4584-8f7d-6a664da0984d&D_Dealer_GUID=77BC329C-BF58-43F9-9106-D437741BCE131">MY FIRST CAR EVER</a>

I haven't bought it yet, but I've been up to visit it twice, and am seriously thinking about it. It's $10K, if you're wondering.

Am I crazy? Please talk me out of this..

HAHA!!! that is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. :)

(Edit - whats wrong w/ my hotlink?)

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thinking about this thread again. Got a Sega Genesis at the local vintage game store and have been playing Sonic 1-4 on the TV with my kids. They're all about Sonic toys too lately. Best $40 ever!

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Even though I'm still young, I've had some nostalgia purchases. Mainly LEGOs and Hot Wheels. When the police station LEGO set came out I just wanted it.

My attraction to it will be stuck in my head just because of a memory of going to a friends house in 2nd grade. In his room, he had a table where he had made a LEGO city. So, I wanted to be like him, and I had lots of LEGOs, and started making a city. Unfortunately and fortunately, my father got a job and we were set to move, my mom was hesitant to tell me that the stuff I made was going to be destroyed, so I tried breaking it down into pieces. The movers broke it the next day, and I was pissed. I still haven't purchase that LEGO set I wanted, but whenever I'm in the toy aisle I see they made a new and upgraded one, and I always remember.

Another story I remember is that I wanted a Power Wheels. I ended up getting one but when I was a bit older. My parents got me a pink Barbie Power Wheels from this 2nd hand toy store in Michigan, I loved that place, and remember it pretty well. I think it was called RE-Play, but I don't exactly remember. So, I was a bit older, and I didn't want to ride around in a pink Jeep, I took off the stickers, and I think my dad and his friend painted it white for me, and replaced to battery. I rode that thing around so much.

Not really nostalgia from today, but it still holds its place. I'll probably spoil my future kids with the stuff I wanted.

19. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #19 Jedi, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This thread makes me laugh. I too am a big kid.

I HAVE a Sega genesis in the house somewhere. Even the CD thing. Take that. I too tried playing the games and they seem silly compared to my PS3. Still fun for a trip down memory lane tho.

My wife is also into the old toys, but she actually KEPT them since childhood. Japanese giant robots, McDonald's drive-thru playset, talking Big Bird & Cookie monster (they tell stories on cassette tape) Fuzzy Pumper Barber shop (play-doh toy) and many others. At least she lets the kids play with them.

For the record, when I was a kid we had Intellivision, but next door was a kid with Colecovision, and next door to him was a kid with Atari. We had it all covered.

21. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

#21 BLAMPEE, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    Tecmo Bowl is, by far, the most perfect game in the world! Nothing like hooking up the Original NES to my 52" Samsung and playing. Go Bears! Nobody can touch Walter Payton in the original!

I welcome any challengers to come out to Oregon and try! :D

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Need to put a motion detector on one of those things.

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Shoot...my entire life revolves around nostalgia

24. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    Is that why my want list includes a 62 Dart wagon like my grandmother drove when i was a kid and a Mopar 440 powered 9 passenger Plymouth Sport Suburban wagon like my mom drove and I sometime got to drive in high school? The first cars in the collection are 440 powered Chrysler 4 dr New Yorker and convertible Newport. Have not found the right wagons or 62 Dart yet.

25. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff