Yellow GTB/4 | FerrariChat

Yellow GTB/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by of2worlds, Oct 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #1 of2worlds, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This interesting comment was noted regarding the use of Yellow for the Dino models>
    The first "giallo fly", code 20-Y-191 was the early one for Dinos between 1969 and 1971.
    It was replaced by "nuovo giallo fly", code 20-Y-490 for 1972 onwards.
    In the Glidden Salchi Colour samples from 70/71 are both colours together.
    In the later colour samples the initial one is no longer available and Ferrari
    changed the name from "nuovo" back to "giallo fly" which is the same name but a different colour.

Was "giallo fly" also used for the Daytona in this time frame? It appears to be a darker shade than "nuovo giallo fly" used in 1972 and beyond. The example below (with a high 14,000 serial number) would appear to be the early darker shade? Any more pictures that could compare the two different 'yellow' shades for the 365 GTB/4? Thanks
    CH
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #2 of2worlds, Oct 25, 2009
    A different GTB/4 repainted in what appears to be the later yellow shade. When water based paints are used; how accurate are the shades compared to the original paint color?
    CH

3. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Fly Yellow is much lighter shade than the car in this pic and appears slightly green under fluorecent light. Bluemels excellent book lists this color as avaliable on Daytonas but is not listed for 275GTBs. My bad memory recalls Fly Yellow on new or nearly new 4cams (the Pendergast/Andrews car S/n9xxx) but maybe that was solar yellow.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Oct 26, 2009
  5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Terry.......

That is some friggin' big antenna there........were you downloading Keyhole pre-strike photos while driving ?

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks for the information guys. Terry that Daytona looks great with the blood trough painted black! Do you know if the wood steering wheel was replaced in that car or was it always a leather steering wheel? Always enjoy seeing a plexi nose car...
    CH

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #7 of2worlds, Oct 26, 2009
    John I am aware that you know this Daytona period very well. Still this example I borrowed from the Dino side below> It is the early Fly Yellow shade gracing a 1969 Dino. It is consistent with the early color being a darker shade.
    CH

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The water based paint should have no impact on the final result, IMO.

Interesting discussion, on the history of the color changes!

9. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Actually the Dino color looks right for Fly Yellow to me.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #10 BigTex, Oct 26, 2009
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    CH- Leather steering wheels were standard in December 1970, when 14009 was built, and I think the headrests may also have been standard, too, although I have seen some high 13xxx cars without them.

KDS- Remember, this was 1978 and there was no internet and nobody was downloading anything. Military satcom was in its infancy and sets to use it were fitted on the backs of Jeeps because they were too heavy to carry. The Daytona cost me a Dino 246 GT, for which I paid $10,600, and $5000, to put things in perspective. To make matters even worse, I could have bought a streetable 250 LM (called 275 LM by everyone then) from Kirk White for $9800 instead.

This was the time of the CB radio craze and the antenna was compatible with AM, FM and HF(where the CB bands are located). Never did install a CB, but found a Sony stereo cassette unit with brushed silver trim that perfectly matched the Daytona's interior trim.

That was 31 years ago.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I was not sure about the steering wheel choice Terry. When Chinetti orderd his Daytona Spyder for the New York Auto Show it was built for him with a wood steering wheel. It was of course red but the air conditioning was deleted. Also over the years some changes have been made where a steering wheel has been replaced with something different. Good point about the headrests. I recall a plexi nose Daytona that I saw when the car was only 4 years old. Wood wheel and no headrest seats and a blue interior...
    CH

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#13 Kds, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
    Terry.......

Is the moral of the story never to ask a fighter pilot about the size of his antenna ? ;) ;)

I remember the jeep mounted "NESTOR" satcom units we had in our tank regiment back in the late 70's. They had one use and that was to transmit an burst encrypted "nucflash" message, if we were still around to do so that is. You would have already flown past overhead in the same direction as I was pointed, at about that time I'd imagine.

So used to in-screen antennas in cars though, that side profile shot of your Daytona with the huge antenna blew me away. Wonder if a Russ Meyer movie from the 70's would have the same impact......heh.

Remember the back pages of R+T with all the ads ? A $10K Daytona was common........and the old F-race cars were dirt cheap.....who woulda thought eh ? If I could have all the muscle cars back that I used to own as a high school kid. Coulda retired by now.

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14009:
    Original exterior color: Bianco Polo 20-W-152.
    Original interior color: Verde 103.
    Assembly sequence #364.
    15 December 1970 completed by the factory. Then delivered to Garage Francorchamps SA in Brussels, Belgium. Sadly it was later cut and converted in the USA into a Spider.

Marcel Massini

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    KDS- You think my antenna was large, you should see the size of my 1956 Breitling Navitimer.

Marcel- Thanks for the info. Wish I still had her, although she was a real pain in a parking lot. Magic on the highway, though, or when blowing off Corvettes and Mustangs.

Taz
    Terry Phillips