Where to sell my 550? | FerrariChat

Where to sell my 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jsuit, Oct 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    I posted my 550 with Fiorano package here at Ferrari ads but was curious where you guys think would be good. If you have thought on pricing, I'd love to hear it.

It is a Euro with docs. I have the DOT paperwork and service records going pack to the orrig receipt in Europe.

All books, Keys, tools

It has 29k miles
    Black on Black with Gray piping
    Full Factory Fiorano Package
    250 GTE Shelf
    Carbon Fiber
    New leather (Dash and seats)
    Integrated Valentine One Mirror
    McIntosh Audio

The car is listed to $84k is this the right price? (serious answers only please).

Where else should I post it?

Cars.com
    FML.com
    ?

2. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Mike Sheehan - ferrarisonline.com

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i think ebay let's u list a car for free once a month. it likely won't sell on ebay but it is free exposure........

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    John,

The FCA Newsletter.

Barry

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1

I always feel the cars there have been cared for properly.....

6. cicatrix

cicatrix Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    USA 1
    #6 cicatrix, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    I have been following the markets on many ferraris for the past couple of years, including the 550s. Honestly, I believe your price is too high. Yes your car is a great color combo, yes it has great options, BUT it is a euro car in the usa and it is a 99. It also has "high miles". Personally, I would rather buy one with a good amount of miles, but you know how some ferrari people can be. And as we all know, there is a stigma attached to euro cars, besides that fact that you cannot register it in some states.

That being said, it is a great looking car (from the pictures, and I'm sure you maintain it quite well). If you have completed the major service on this car within the past year or so, I would say a perfect price for you to list it at would be $79k.

One car that is a good comparison to your car is the USA 01 Black/Black. I have seen this car advertised for $84k and then $75,888 (and still sat unsold), then moved to another dealership and advertised at $85k, and now at another dealership who is advertising it at $99k (which is completely unreasonable).

This is just my opinion based on what people have been asking, and based on the actual selling prices of these cars.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Tex!

We just sold this car last week - listed at $84,950, it sold for $80K within 24 hours. It doesn't have any options. Two people came to the table at $80K and a bunch more from $75-79K.

John, I think your car is listed at a fair price. But the high mileage and Euro specifications preclude it from fetching a higher price. If someone offered you $80K, you should definitely take it.

I assume the rear shelf is leather and diamond-quilted? Does the car have shields? Standard wheels or modular wheels or aftermarket wheels? Colored calipers? If so, what color? Do you have all of the books and service records? All of the keys and fobs? Why were the seats and dash reupholstered?

8. cicatrix

cicatrix Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    USA 1
    #8 cicatrix, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Wasn't there a 00,TDF, euro, fiorano car that sold for in the $60's? That seems like a closer comparison.

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L

"this car" didnt link anything but i am assuming it was the red 550 with the champion motorsport wheels (?)

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd pay more for a car from an individual than i would from a dealer.

11. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    I have all key fobs, books, and tools.
    It is the diamond shelf.

The Major was done at Competizione & Sports Cars

has the stock 550 wheels.

Did the leather seats because GAHH used them as the model for the 550, and it was free.

Did the dash because it had the typical 550 shrinkage.

I have receipts for all the work

12. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
  13. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    I just sold my '99 550 in September and got top dollar for it on the Dupont Registry. I was really skeptical of spending the money, but after a few weeks on Ebay, I realized that you find lots of cars with stories on Ebay. Dupont cars usually have no stories and the buyers seem to recognize it.

By the way, all I got were bottom feeders and joy riders from Ebay. In the 7 months I had the car listed, not a single qualified buyer came from that site. I got one qualified buyer from Cars.com, and a handful of guys from FerrariAds, so they were good as well.

But at the end of the day, Dupont and their new-ish website was the winner. My 550 was in perfect condition 13k miles, recent major, red-tan. I don't want to post the price out of respect for the new buyer who is frequenting these boards, but I will say that it was close to your list price. IMHO, for your euro car, and color combo I'd say you're $8-10k too high.

Take it FWIW. And good luck!!!