am I being unrealistic? where to look? | FerrariChat

am I being unrealistic? where to look?

Discussion in '360/430' started by redlightrich, Oct 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hello all, I have been looking for either a 360 or a 430 for about 2 months. I hoped to spend around 78k for 00-01, 90k for 02-04, and under 140k for 05-06. I will accept miles up to 16k or so, and wanted a 6 speed manual, but I may become flexible. I only expect a coupe at these prices, and I have had difficulty finding what I want. If I want to pay top dollar, there is no shortage. I know I am looking for a "deal", but am I just unrealistic? I have heard stories of great cars at nice prices, but I have not seen them. (except blue nart that scared me away)
    What are the best resources to look for a used Ferrari? I look on e bay, but it seems the cars with the most stories wind up there. I looked on C/L too. I have called a few dealerships, but no luck up to this point.
    My color choices are Yellow, Blue, Red. Is this causing my problem? Do these colors command a premium or are they in very short supply? If I liked shades of silver I could have one already. I would greatly appreciate any input or direction you can offer.

Kind regards, Rich

2. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Patience is the consumers' friend!
    Try calling dealers in large metro areas. They have the most inventory and are probably most able to deal. Naturally, the more you limit your criteria, the narrower the search. If red is ok with you, that will include a lot of machines. Good Luck.

Ray

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Expect to pay more at a dealership. Find a private seller, negotiate on a realistic price and do a PPI. It really is that simple, mine is for sale and you already know that it's a six speed. I have a dealer friend who can work the transaction anytime.

4. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
  5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Try cars.com or autotrader.com. Get a subscription to the Ferrari Market Letter.

Dave

6. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    IMHO you are low on an 04', for a good one I think you will be over $100k.

My experience was that the individuals wanted more for their cars than dealers.

7. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    best deals are from private sellers looking for a little more than dealer offer them when they trade the car is. essentially, these type of private sellers are looking for a few grand more than wholesale.

dealer prices are coming down quite a bit. not as much on 360 but more on 430 i think. they do not want to sit on inventory longer than a few months and the more expensive the car is, the more motivated dealers are.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You have a PM .

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    #9 blkdiablo33, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    there are quite a few out there like others said try cars.com ,keep looking the right one will come around

10. FerrariQuest

FerrariQuest Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    Northern, VA/Washing
  11. HREU

HREU Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Florida and Turin
    Full Name:
    Ed Colburn
    that looks like a great car....

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #13 Testacojones, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Time to bite the bullet...

I got mine that's a great looking car,
    clear protection on hood, mirrors and front bumper from day one
    rosso corsa with black interior and red stitching.
    Scuderia shields,
    red brake calipers,
    daytona seats,
    power seats,
    red inserts in seats,
    standard carbon interior,
    rear leather bench,
    thicker #2 stitching,
    optional spare tire with tool kit,
    15K mile service fresh.

I'm the original owner and ordered this after the Ferrari supercars (red cars with black and red interiors). Not a ding or dent, never tracked, never smoked in, no accidents, original paint, good tires and open to any type of ppi. Six speed manual with 13,650 miles and clutch grabbing strong.

Help me to move this car out so even if you're aren't interested in buying it, just tell me here an offer on the open forum. Just for kicks, give me a number out of curiosity.

Regards

Luix

13. HREU

HREU Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Florida and Turin
    Full Name:
    Ed Colburn
    Luix....I am confused....is previous for sale car at Sports Car...your car? Or do you have one for sale. If you do...post pics.

I am looking for a 430 but, would certainly consider the right 360...as I am sure would others reading this...

14. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    First off thank you all for the great information. This board is a wealth of information!! I am not sure why, but it looks like 430s dropped more drastically than 360s?
    Ok Luis, I will go along with you. That is a nicely optioned car. It is posted right here in 6-8 cyl clasifieds. I think it is worth the asking price of 135K. You need to find someone who appreciates the manual trans ( like me). I would think if it were able to be bought for 125k, it would be a steal!!! Like I said, I am still considering that car.

Thank you all, Rich

15. mashoutposse

mashoutposse Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    Don't expect to negotiate and get your price right there on the spot or even on the same day. Strongly express your interest, submit your offer, and make sure they know how to contact you. Let them know that you're a hot lead and that your money is there for the taking. Do this in person (ideally, take a test drive before making your offer). Most will say no up front, then get back to you later with a more appropriate price.

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    You got PM

The F430 has taken a hit because of the economy, but they have sort of bottomed out for the last months. With the 458 coming out soon I think that the price gap between them is so great that the car taking the resale hit will be the 458 itself after the initial hype. Just look at the Scuderias and you'll see what I mean.

17. ECS

ECS Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Brian Albertson
    I agree about the 430's. In regards to the 458 will be the first ferrari sports coupe in a long time that is being sold initially at MSRP. Most dealers were selling the first year 430's and 360's at a large premium over MSRP. If the ferrari dealer sold those new cars{360 and 430} at MSRP, they were sure to under evaluate{allow} the trade and make it up on the other end. The depreciation from MSRP on the 458's will be greater and happen faster than past 430's because of this fact.

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I haven't seen any meaningful change in prices for 2005's since last fall. 125K was about the bottom then and still is. The newer ones have probably suffered some. I bought my 2005 430 new but I won't be buying a 458. Why? I don't see the value in giving a dealer my car PLUS a check for 175K. Plus my 430 has been and still is a great car. There are other 430 owners with similar thinking. How this will affect 458 sales remains to be seen but there will definitely be fewer 430's traded in than normally expected.

Dave

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I was one of the lucky few to buy at msrp. The dealer can't sell over msrp to the first owner, I mean they could if they wanted to, but I know of many people that didn't. The trick is this and also this is what makes the list so difficult to get in; they have a list of favorite clients and this guys buy brand new, they don't put many miles at all and trade cars in just months or even weeks. Then the dealer sells this brand new car with no miles or very low miles at a huge premium to those unfortunate people that initially didn't get on the list.

There's a guy close to Orlando who owns everything new coming out from Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, Veyron, Caparo... Hell he just traded his brand new GT2 for a Panamera. Well this guy gets and gets different cars within the year. So is there a waiting list? Yeah there's one, but is the list been followed in order? Maybe. But in between number one to number whatever there seem to be many fictitious numbers.

20. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Rich I just saw Testa's 430 ad- the car is very beautiful...seems like a no-braner if you're looking for a 6-speed 430 with awesome interior spec!

21. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    rich;
    check out autotrader and cars.com, my 1999 yellow, 6 speed is listed, it has 13,600 miles and all the extras, two owner calif. car. you will be hard pressed to find a better one at any price.
    rocky
    619-429-4636