Humidor tech - big vs small, cigars in box or not? | FerrariChat

Humidor tech - big vs small, cigars in box or not?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by MarkPDX, Oct 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Gonna have to upgrade the humidor(s) as my cigar collection has outgrown them. Right now I have a 50 cigar and two 25 cigar humidors. I could probably fit them all in if I were to pick up another 50 cigar but it would be pretty packed. Ideally I would like to have them all in one large humidor but I don't know much about maintaining of the size required. Is it much more work to keep a large one at the proper level of humidity? It seems like a lot of work to keep a bunch of smaller ones sorted out.

Been looking at the Thompson site but would be interested in other online dealers that carry large humidors.

I thought it might be kind of neat to leave put the full boxes straight in the humidor.... is this a rookie mistake? It does take up a bit more room.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    One plus about your smaller units - less mixing of flavors [but, only if they're already same type].

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Hadn't really thought of that though it's not a huge issue as the majority are all the same thing.

4. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    And, at the same time, should some problem [mold] arise in one unit, others are unaffected.

I feel like Big Tex, adding one brain fart at a time.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #5 MarkPDX, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Well at least you aren't posting pictures of ex g/f's just yet...... :D

How common are mold issues? I have never had a problem with it in my humidors. Have had problems when I tried storing a few in tupperware but chalked that up to trying a bad solution.

6. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #6 wax, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Joe 575

Joe 575 Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal/Carmel
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I started with a couple of medium size table tops as well but they just did not provide enough capacity so I found Vigilant humidors out of New Hampshire.

Started with the end table size (Reliance 1000) with automatic humidity control and then moved to the Climatech 2600 with both humidity and temperature control. My collection at the moment is a little north of 2,000 cigars and 90% of those I store in the boxes. I do utilize the one pull out drawer to move boxes that are getting empty in bulk storage to create more box storage below.

Vigilant's products are second to none in my experience and their customer support is flawless. Well worth the investment not only because they make a beautiful product but also can grow your collection with peace of mind!

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, Oct 27, 2009
  9. AbsolutFerrari

AbsolutFerrari Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    Rocky Hill
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    Wow! Very nice.

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Really couldn't see buying a Ferrari or other such branded humidor..... Did call Vigilant and talked with them about getting a box built to my spec :)

11. Oneday

Oneday Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Colorado
    #11 Oneday, Nov 1, 2009
  12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Nice set up! :):):)

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #13 darth550, Nov 1, 2009
    Mark,

Your habit has come a long way, Grats! :D:D:D:D:D:D

In order to gain the cigar capacity you're after, the humidor will be need to be furniture and that will require an executive decision...... :)

This one (I googled) is $500 and a good electric one will run you over $2500.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #14 MarkPDX, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    Hehe.... The executive is looking through this thread right now. She says hello :)

I have looked at that one (or one very similar) this weekend.

No real high end stuff at the shops around here but I did see a little electric humidity control thing at a shop for $150 and was wondering if it was worth trying? Seemed pretty simple, put some water in and it keeps things at the right level theoretically.

15. Milton

Milton Rookie

Nov 3, 2009
    Thanks for the tip on CigarSecrets.com. Opened it up last night to give away the download for free.

16. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The old JC stuff was fantastic. Good taste!

Mark, take a look at Avallo as well. For the money they're decent.

http://www.avallohumidors.com/1200.html

They're not high end materials or construction, but they function very well. I've got a 1200 deluxe in my office that's been problem free for a few years.

Lot's of folks swear by Vigilant, but they don't do it for me. I've always preferred Pendergast in that price range.

Speaking from experience... Buy twice the capacity you think you'll need. That way when you fill it up(and you will) you'll also be bored with it artistically and be ready to add a new piece.