Favourite Suit | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Favourite Suit

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by kentra, May 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've had about 4, I like them.

2. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Anderson & Sheppard Bespoke, great group to deal with. In the states Turnbull & Asser.

3. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    For decades everything but their couture line is made in the GFD factory and are all lightly fused garments...

4. DJS

DJS Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Some good recommendations here, I'm going to be in Paris in January and wanted to pick up a new suit there, something French styled and a little different. Any ideas other than what's been mentioned?

5. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    #55 bmwm3, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    your facts are off...sorry dont want to be rude...

I have been a huge fan of Armani forever...
    Use to read books about him back in junior high
    (horrible I know)

Anyways

Before you were saying Zenga, isnt known for their cuts of suits... but more their fabrics...
    well Zenga produces much of Armani's Fabrics

next is the fact that this GFD company....which is actually GFT (Gruppo Finanziario Tessile
    hasnt really made products for Armani since about early 2001

Armani owns many other companies which now produce their clothing.
    One such company is Vestimenta. They produce a lot of the higher end Armani clothing.
    Although like I said the clothing is produced by many companies and also...even in the same "line" of clothing (for example Emporio Armani) the menswear and womens wear is manufactured by two different companies.

In my opinion Armani is considered high end even in Italy...but I believe they are more known for their suit "style" then their quality. I think Brioni or Kiton are in terms of quality (maybe) better.

o and one last thing using the word "couture"
    isnt really the word they use for their high end lines.
    I'm sure you know this...
    I know many companies use it in their clothing labels.
    But Armani actually makes a couture line called prive.
    So its not really correct to call their high end line couture....(but thats not a big deal)...

6. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Aramani off the rack just makes me look sharp. And they feel so comfortable it's like I'm wearing pajamas all day. My favourite is a beige linen? one that I wear in summer. The material just flows.

I know there are much more expensive suits but for me, with Armani I don't have to stand straight, suck it in, shoulders back or anything. It hides everything and makes me look tall and slim. I know everyone has a different build and such and I just seem to fit in anything Armani perfectly. And not just suits. My wardrobe is slowly becoming all Armani. I find now my t-shirts, jeans, sport jackets, sweaters, whatever, I'm wearing all Armani because it just makes me look healthy and fit. Other clothes make me look like a middle aged desk jockey with a slight ponch, where anything Armani makes me look like I just came out of the racket ball court or rowing match or fencing duel or or ...

So I think everyone here has their favourites, but it's hard to actually recommend because you may be tall, short, slim, fat, stocky, active, sitting all day, etc. etc. and each suit will feel and look differently depending on all those things. My vote is Armani obviously :)

7. pbfoot

pbfoot Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    Parents treated me to a tailored, fitted (albeit not custom) J. Lindeberg three piece in Beverly Hills a few months ago and have gotten nothing but compliments. Its the first upscale suit I've owned (others from Macy's have been decent but ill-fitting) and I couldn't be happier. Plus when asked it sounds less insane for a younger guy to have a Lindeberg suit than some other brands.

8. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    pal zileri
    baroni

9. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Brioni
    Zegna
    Canali
    Bardelli
    Armani Collezioni

Its all about the quality of the fabric and the cut of the suit....go to a good italian tailor in milan and it will probably be as good as any top brand you can buy. The top brands mentioned above are excellent and there are many more.

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    My Leisure Suit! ;);)

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My Sparco suit is definately the most fun

But I like my Brioni & Canali

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If cost is not an issue, and you want a "label" then go to Hermes, Monsieur Guitrey in the mens studio... he will "take care of you" - but make sure you bring lots o $$$$$

if you have time you can search in the marais for some of the old jewish tailors there can really work up some fantastic suits... they are bespoke to you, materials etc.. but take about a week. Mougins et cie comes to mind... cant remember the street...

13. maserati_ferrari

Jan 16, 2006
    toronto
    Full Name:
    Marco
    a little pricy, but worth evey penny.

Marco.

14. kentra

kentra Rookie

Dec 18, 2007
    Thanks Viper, you must have very high standards - I am 32 yrs old, 6'1"", 80kg, 15% body fat and am quite active - if that makes me old, small and round, I might need to become belemic.

That said, I did get some suits in Milan (ran out of shopping time) , a Dior and a Dolce & Gabanna - love them both but still prefer my Zegna suits.

15. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    My clothier is putting me in the Jack Victor Prossimo collection. Smokin hot suits that wont break the bank.

16. 360StradaleFan

Jun 16, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    An interesting thread. While it is easy to just shoot off the top IMO makers (Kiton, Brioni & Hermes), selecting suits must start with some questions. Firstly, how much do you want to spend? Are we talking Men's Warehouse, Brooks Brothers or bespoke Kiton? Secondly, how are you built? A good tailor can hide 15 lbs but can't bullsh*t you into slim fit Gucci. And obviously what style do you like? For good stuff the decision is English or Italian.

That said, my first suit for my first job out of college came from Hugo Boss. Nice enough for $600 off the rack but the seams and fit never quite felt perfect. Then an Armani Collezioni (the off the rack white label) from eBay, new with the tags. Had it tailored up for about $100 and quickly bought a couple more the same way. No complaints. Started making a little more money and gambled on a Brioni from eBay for about $600 or so. Pre-owned but with zero flaws. Got lucky. Another trip to the tailor and this time I was hooked from the first time I put it on. A Brioni suit is as comfortable to me as jeans and a t-shirt. Everything is just where you feel like it should be. I like the structure of the jackets as they are a little more formal vs Kiton. The difference is Rome vs Naples.

If you like your suits with a little softer shoulder and less structure, you cannot beat Kiton. The materials and construction are without flaw or peer. I own one Kiton Ciro Paone and it is the star of my collection. If you have it in your hands you can just tell the quality.

BUT, Brioni and Kiton are expensive and there are not many shortcuts. eBay is risky because of fakes and obviously well worn pre-owned crap. As well as the variations of fit among suit models even of the same maker. That said, you can find new stuff and if you know what to look for can get a hell of a deal sometimes. Caveat emptor.

If you do take the shortcut and not buy from a Brioni or Kiton boutique the most important part is having a tailor you trust to alter the suit to fit you perfectly. Once you know how a brand fits you, fire away. For me, I want Kiton and Brioni but will probably never, ever pay full boat. A $3000 savings is pretty sweet to most of us.

http://store.ehaberdasher.com/StoreFront.bok

Easily 50% off, I trust them 100% and after a $200 trip to the tailor I can wear a $5000 suit for $1750. Done.

17. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    The best in my closet are all badged by Caraceni . . .. best suits IMO, but from time to time I wear Prada and Armani.

some of my other favorites:

Gieves & Hawkes
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Anderson & Sheppard
    Thomas Pink

18. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Some of the best examples are:

Kiton, Zegna, Canali, Loro Piana, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, and Brioni.

There is a great website with some amazing deals called www.styleforum.net

AJ

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You can add Luciano Barbera to that list.

20. hooperman

hooperman Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    My favourite one is my 2-button blue custom suit from napoli tailors.