Customized GTC/4: warning (Massini, cover your eyes) | FerrariChat

Customized GTC/4: warning (Massini, cover your eyes)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Oct 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I hope this car hasn't been discussed yet. I saw it in person at Concorso Italiano but didn't take the time to appreciate the craftsmanship. I am really impressed with the shops website and how they document the engine mods. As a former GTC/4 owner, I can appreciate raising this car's potential but wouldn't have changed the headlights. Don't show Marcel Massini this page or he will go about in a blue funk...

http://www.carobu.com/html/ferrari_365_c_4.html

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #2 Marcel Massini, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    OLD NEWS! This car was featured in August 2009 already, in Forza magazine, issue #95.
    Despite the statement in that article 14837's original color was not burgundy. The original exterior color was actually Azzurro Hyperion 2.443.648 with interior Nero Cogolo, full leather seats, instruments in miles. Assembly sequence #139 with Pininfarina body #160/GTC. Car delivered new to Luigi Chinetti Motors. Mid-80s owned by Dr. Richard Berner in California.

Marcel Massini

3. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    When I think of all the great cars of the past, 99% weren't "production" cars. They were custom or modified coachwork on great chassis and were highly personalized. I see nothing wrong with modifying something like this to your taste. Making a GTC/4 into a more sporting car is fine with me. If it is what the owner wants, then go for it. There will always be some restored original GTC/4's to look at if you want originality.

Whatever makes the owner happy.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #4 El Wayne, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know this will surprise some, but I agree. I also think that the front end/headlight treatment on this car is superior in appearance (but obviously, not functionality) to the original design.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I kinda like it.

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    L Wayne,
    I don't want to address Solofast's opinion as I think that's a different matter.. but I will say this- I don't care for the rims/tire profile. In terms of the front end/headlight treatment, the obvious styling cue (lift) is the Fiat Spyder with the Dino engine.

Best,
    Dave

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #7 El Wayne, Oct 28, 2009
    Yes, it reminds me quite a bit of the Dino Berlinetta Speciale that inspired the Fiat Dino Spyder.

readplays likes this.
  8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I like the head light treatment.

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I don't care for the side mirrors, but the overall design is really nice and subtle.

10. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I should also say that it is important that the car look good too....

If it ends up being ugly (as we have all seen some modified BB's and TR's that will reamain nameless), it's a travesty no matter how you cut it....

Perhaps that's why it doesn't bother me, if it turned out You Ga Lie (that's ugly with a capital U) I'd have thought it better not to do it at all....

BTW I would lose the slats in the hood vents, that was unnecessary and detracts from the overall clean look but to each his own.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The headlight treatment reminds me of the deTomaso Mangusta. The fussy business with the hood doesn't really work for me but more fundamental is the low profile tires and those wheels. It just doesn't feel right as someone else noted. The color seems to suit a modified car and the black nose is no longer an issue...
    CH

readplays likes this.
  12. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I like it to although don't care for the oversized mirrors but they can easily be changed.

13. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    in mho it has a odd look to it that i can't warm up to, the power mods are nice , the body mods ,wheels and tires....well lets just say it's to a personal taste! saw Micheal Bayers blue C/4 in person with the painted nose which i found more appealing

14. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think it looks nice.

15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I think the mistake of putting the headlights on permanent display so prominently was like trying to say
    "Hey, headlights are important" which they are at night but since they are the cheapest most replaceable part of the car, and only needed at night, I'd rather have them tucked away when not in use as in the original GTC/4 design. Then the total design can be appreciated without having to acknowledge the headlights. Think of all the cars that had prominent use of quad headlamps when that was a big selling point ('58 Oldsmobile anyone!) Most are considered ugly today. Only exception I like is the RR SCIII/Bentley S3, where the curvacious surrounds help make the quad headlamps more acceptable)

Talk about over-selling something when it's new, remember when all those European cars
    had the word "automatic" on them, which now looks silly. No automaker would do that now and I bet a lot of designers regret they similarly gave so much "space" on the car to headlamps.

On the hood vents, I think he overdid them, made them a little bit too much Buck Rogerish, where the original vents were beautiful and subtle.

Still, I defend the owner's right to re-interpret the car and having seen the car in person, admire the craftsmanship.

16. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
  17. michael platzer

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #17 michael platzer, Oct 30, 2009
    14887 has similar hood vents!

18. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    strange....14837 and 14887 seem's to be the same cars, except the headlights..

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14887:
    Original exterior color: Arancio 95.3.2943.
    Original interior color: Nero Cogolo, full leather.
    Assembly sequence #102.
    Pininfarina Body #87/GTC.
    Delivered new to Luigi Chinetti Motors, NY/USA.
    Instruments in miles.

Marcel Massini

20. michael platzer

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #20 michael platzer, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    maybe one of the s/ns is wrong.
    my pic is from Cavallino Classic 2007. same car?

who named 14837?

Marcel - you have been at the CC 2007 too. Do you have the s/n of the displayed GTC4?

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #21 Marcel Massini, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
    FORZA Magazine did.

Marcel Massini

22. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think it looks pretty nice overall, much better than some other customized Ferrari's.

23. 365man

365man Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2007
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I now own the motor 14837. does anyone know who owns that chassis now? I could part with the motor (pun intended) if it was needed.

24. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    I bought that C4 a few years ago from next owner, but put the stock black color back on the bumper to make it correct. Just not right to me. but did look different. Stock original is best for me.
    John

25. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not bad for maybe a 20 yr old custom. My thoughts would be to recess the headlights back a little. The front looks better than any of the other Ferrari's pictured. Not everyone has to have a original car and this is a decent change. It also doesn't hurt to have 400+hp vs. 320/300. I've was able to upgrade a few brake parts picked up from this car which I'm thankful for. Overall the 70's didn't give us the best looking road cars and Ferrari was among them.