Question about retractable headlights | FerrariChat

Question about retractable headlights

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by abo78, Oct 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Hello

A small question about the retracable headlights on my 365 BB:

In Denmark it is the law that the car has to have the lights on at all time. Therefore I need to have some lights on my car, but I would prefer if I didn´t need to pop-up the mainlights at all time because I think the car is more nice with the retracable lights down. The problem is when I try to use only the parking light/position-light the retracble headbeam opens eventhough that it not is being used/turned on! Is there any way you can avoid this?

Or let me rephrazise the question; how can I turn on the parking light/position light (and then also the light on the cars rear) without having the retracable lights open?

Best regards

ABO

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Hi Abo,

I would say that it would be best to have the foglights on with the headlights off. Unfortunately, that is not possible on my BB so I assume it isn't on yours since yours is only a couple of cars away from my serial #. However, it should be very easy to make a modification to the electrics to make this possible. In fact, I plan to have this done myself.

Onno

3. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Hi JazzyO

Thank you for your answer. Actually I can have the foglights on without having the headlights turned on (and the retracable lights going up), but in my country we also have to have the rear lights on all day. Unfortunately the rear lights do not turn on together with the fog light.

Anyway I can´t understand the meaning of why Ferrari made the retracable headligt goes up when only the the positon light/parking light is needed!?

4. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    I THINK THE 308's do this as well (headlight buckets come up even when only park lights are selected) and the 308 guys figured out a mod to keep the buckets down when park lights are on (only).....

you might try a search in the 308 section.

doug

5. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    The "parking light" circuit on the 365bb is a bit odd, although part of the problem was addressed on the 512bb and later cars.

-Normal operation 365bb; Headlight switch twisted->Headlamps up, tiny parking bulb illuminated. Important note: The front turn signal bulb are only "single filament; hence no parking light operation. Rear tail lamps illuminated.

-With simple wiring/relay modification; Headlight switch twisted->Headlamps down. Rear tail lamps illuminated.

-With a bit more involved wiring/relay modification + addition of dual filament bulb/holders in front turn signal housings (as on the 512bb); Headlight switch twisted->Headlamps down. New "dual filament" front bulb illuminated. Rear tail lamps illuminated.

Very doable...

Best,
    David

6. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Thank you for your good answers... first I thought that something was wrong with my boxer.... I will try to do a little tweaking!

Anders

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Nope; normal operation.
    Just a bit odd, as you discovered...